The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by qwerty_mad
It's so true. I have a friend who says that he has no option but to marry a person of his own kind (not just same religion) and its the same with many of my female Asian friends.

I'm talking South-Asian here. So a Pakistani for a Pakistani; Indian for an Indian and so on.

Why, though?

I'm asian and that is far from true everyone in my family like my cousins have married who every they wanted to and their parents havn't cared about race or anything
Cultural things -.- It's silly and I don't agree with it but that's mainly the case. Some asian families are more lenient than others though.
Reply 3
Personally I find it stupid. Though if they want to respect their parents wishes, than good for them.
Reply 4
Not all are like that.Depends if the parents were brought up in the sub-continent then the answer is most probably a NO NO ,marry of the same religion/kind.
Religion,culture ?

My parents passed their teenage out of the sub-continent(not Europe) and same goes for their view. :cool:

Marry whoever you wish to ;P
(edited 12 years ago)
As usual, it's true for some of the group that you've generalized, not all.

Why is it common though? For people that live in communities that are mainly of their own culture, and they are also a minority in that country, they may want to dilute the culture as little as possible, and they may feel they have more in common with people of their own culture and religion. If they don't feel this way, then their parents probably do.
Reply 6
Well it's the broader version of interbreeding I guess, considering you're keeping the gene pool rather specific.

I say get out of your comfort zone and create some ubermensch mixed race babies.

I tell you now I rather marry a person from a completely different culture/ethnicity.
Reply 7
I'm looking for an asian girl tonight, we know that it's wrong but we make it right, take her to my room cut out the lights, I'm looking for an asian girl tonight!
Reply 8
to hold respect in the family name or something.
it's a pride thing. Communities are proud of their own kind and look down upon others, so marrying someone from another culture/religion is practically belittling yourself and will tarnish the family name.

btw guys I don't actually think this, I'm just providing a reason for why it might be true.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
tbh ma parents sed i can marry who i wnt as long as they r muslim but personali id prefer to be with pakistani cus thats what I am, and also because i've thought that i dont find any other race attractive :P and lastly, when ppl have kids it makes it hard for them to decide what religion, culture they follow and as they grow up they feel out of place ( i hve friends who are half english half pakistani) and they said they dont feel as though they belong in either culture :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by DomJay24
I'm looking for an asian girl tonight, we know that it's wrong but we make it right, take her to my room cut out the lights, I'm looking for an asian girl tonight!

That sounds like a song a rapist sings...
whats wrong with that? nothing is wrong with it, obviously it makes more sense since the person will be more compatible with you if you are a nerd then you will understand that you cant get microsoft onto a apple computer without putting some extra work into it, the same goes for the relationships, if we are brought up similarly under similar conditions (same food, traditions, beliefs etc) then obviously your more likely to fall for the person, anyways i wouldnt want my baby to be halfcast =/ but yeh familys do prefer if there child marries the same race as theres since obviously the familys from both sides are more compatible e.g. can share special traditional events,partys etc which brings them closer together, also the partners would have been brought up to similar standards unlike when in mixed relationships where there are different beliefs and ideas which may contradict one another and lead to problems.
Original post by AishaTara
tbh ma parents sed i can marry who i wnt as long as they r muslim but personali id prefer to be with pakistani cus thats what I am, and also because i've thought that i dont find any other race attractive :P and lastly, when ppl have kids it makes it hard for them to decide what religion, culture they follow and as they grow up they feel out of place ( i hve friends who are half english half pakistani) and they said they dont feel as though they belong in either culture :/

"as long as they're muslim" tells me that you can't marry "who you want".
Btw, english?
Reply 13
you guys are making out as if all indian parents are crazy! yh fair enough for a particular minorty it could be becasue of pride etc. but im an indian...and i would only marry a indian, not becasue of pride bla bla becasue i would want to keep my religion going and teach it to my children...otherwise the effor my parents have gone through to make sure i learn about my religon would go to waste.
I'm asian, and no dis-respect to other ethnic groups but I wouldn't want to get married outside my religion and this is not due to the expectations of my mother, just something I prefer in terms of culture.

Those within the same religion, will always have the better understanding of the foundations of their culture, for majority Asian people, their parents worry that those who are outside their religion will not understand the foundations in which they operate on..
Original post by qwerty_mad
It's so true. I have a friend who says that he has no option but to marry a person of his own kind (not just same religion) and its the same with many of my female Asian friends.

I'm talking South-Asian here. So a Pakistani for a Pakistani; Indian for an Indian and so on.

Why, though?

My aunty is a pakistani, she married a bengalii ..
so i don't think it matters to every asian parent, however its still true :frown:
Original post by StudentFDot
I'm asian, and no dis-respect to other ethnic groups but I wouldn't want to get married outside my religion and this is not due to the expectations of my mother, just something I prefer in terms of culture.

Those within the same religion, will always have the better understanding of the foundations of their culture, for majority Asian people, their parents worry that those who are outside their religion will not understand the foundations in which they operate on..

But the topic is about ethnicity not religion :confused:
It's a cultural thing. My family is not so strict, of course they would prefer if i married another Indian, but they have allowed marraiges to occur between our family in non-Indians. Although to be honest the majority have ended in divorce which hasn't been recieved all that well.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
"as long as they're muslim" tells me that you can't marry "who you want".
Btw, english?

my parents said it's up to me, no forced or arranged marriage ( unles i want one) but I've chosen whoever I marry will be Pakistani and Muslim :smile:
Original post by DomJay24

LOL :L

Latest