The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel History Unit 2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've got a strong feeling the mobilisation of the economy during WW1 will come up, so DORA and all that sort of stuff. Also think that Boer will be the other B question, most likely the effect of guerilla warfare or perhaps the khaki election. In January it was Light Brigade and conscientious objectors so I wouldnt bother going over them.
does anybody know what came up in jan 2011 for this unit 2 exam?
thankyou any help is much appreciated :smile:
Reply 62
and the Boer question in Jan was social reforms
Can somebody answer me this question. Because I have little time left to revise (left it kinda last minute) do you think if I just leave the Anglo-Irish Settlement part out of my revision it would be ok ? Because even if it came up in question A, I'd be mostly talking about the sources instead of own knowledge, right ? Then if it comes up on either B(1) or B(2) I can just choose the one that isn't on that subject ?
Reply 64
Im doing this exam tomorrow too, and I am personally terrified!
If something comes up on Parnell then I am screwed...
Reply 65
Okay im doing the Poor law and public health, Ive not been doing that well my grades have ranged from U to D. I intend to change this since its a problem with Essay technique nothing else the teacher tried hard to help me but I now have one hope examiners reports. Examiners reports are my biggest tip.

Please give your feeling Tips and last minute advice on this page furthermore any speculation about the questions is welcome too. :biggrin:
Yeah, if the Anglo-Irish Settlement comes up then so am I. But if you've revised for the other areas it should be okay because for the one were you're own knowledge is needed most you can pick between 2 questions, so it should be okay, right :s ?

I'm guessing they wouldn't have 2 questions on the same section for B ?
Reply 67
Haha, I hope so...I really want something to do with the Easter Rising?!
I hope they wouldn't do the same section, thats what im relying on anyway..!
Reply 68
I'm pretty sure you do need an introduction to the B part..
Reply 69
Hello this is one of my first posts here so excuse me if I'm doing it wrong :wink:

I have the second part of my History AS tomorrow, the sources paper on Crown and Authority which is basically Elizabeth 1588-Charles 1629.. however anyone who does the paper should be able to answer.

One of my biggest problems has always been, particularly for the 20-marker, how to integrate provenance of the sources when it makes the sources unreliable? I know reliability is a GCSE thing but I'll try to make what I mean a bit clearer...

For example, if there was a source criticising Charles but it was from a member of Parliament and so they'd be predisposed to critcise him, which you can gather from the origin of the source, where do you integrate this into the argument? Say the question is 'How far do you agree that Charles was an ineffective ruler during the first 5 years of his reign' or whatever, and you have one paragraph supporting the statement and one paragraph challenging it, where do you integrate this criticism of the provenance?

Obviously the actual statements in the source from the MP would go in the first supportive paragraph, but where do you put this point about the provenance meaning he might not have been so bad? It doesn't fit in the first paragraph as it's contradictory, but to me it feels like not a strong enough point to put in the second paragraph, it might read too much like a weak inference. Would it be a good idea maybe to put it at the end of the first paragraph, supporting the idea that he was an ineffective ruler, as a link-in to the second which is criticising the idea that he was ineffective?

I hope that wasn't too convoluted.... any help/tips would be much appreciated! :confused: :smile:
I might just not go to sleep and revise right up untill the exam :lol:. Man, I'm so ill-prepared for this exam...

What do people think about what I said about leaving Anglo-Irish Settlement section out ?
Reply 71
Does anyone know btw, what has the highest chance of coming up tomorrow out of the boer, crimea and WW1? Oh and are the two exams worth the same?
Reply 72
Ive got the source Anti Semitism one tomorrow
No idea what could come up or what has previously
any help anyone could give would be great! xxx
Original post by daizeee
Ok thanks much :smile: is the second part likely to be on the Boer and WW1 then? or could it be any of the wars?

It could be any of the wars, really. But if I remember correctly, it's most likely to be the two wars that didn't come up in part A. Don't quote me on that though because it was a year ago since I took this exam. :tongue:

That said, you should revise all 3 wars IMO. Although you could, in theory, get away with 2 (because you don't actually need own knowledge for part a, although I found it helped to set the context of the sources which => better evaluation of its provenance), you do risk encountering a very difficult question in part b and having to answer it because you didn't bother to revise for the other war.
Original post by Dastry
and the Boer question in Jan was social reforms

Damn! Why didn't that come up for June 2010? I would have loved that question. :angry:
Reply 75
I'm doing the other half of the paper (Henry VIII), but exam technique is the same. I think the way to approach it is to explain what the MP is saying, and his conclusion. Then, in the same paragraph, write about how the provenance affects the reliability of the conclusion. At the end of the paragraph you can do a little concluding bit about how strong/weak the argument is. In 20 markers particularly I think it's acceptable to approach it as evaluating the arguments on each side, not actually writing a strong argument for each side, if that makes sense? I.e. Evaluate how good the arguments presented in sources are.
So yes, I'd put the provenance (even if negative) in the same paragraph as source analysis, always. Hope that made sense.
Reply 76
yeahh im in the same boat as you
Does anyone have an example of how to answer the questions on this exam paper.
Reply 77
Fall of cromwell and foreign policy have both been on a paper TOGETHER before though haven't they?
Reply 78
bump
Reply 79
Haha, thats my plan too! But i'm planning on dropping it (and I can't wait!) so i'm kinda giving up with it... I don't feel prepared in the slightest! Especially if it's Parnell... :')
Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest