The Student Room Group

Higher Maths Post Mortem thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Alex259
Does anyone know the percentage cut offs like what do you need to get an A B and C in Higher Maths

You could have a look at the sqa boundaries for the past years to get a rough indication of what they will be.
However, as soup said, they change every year so you can't tell.
Reply 81
C1 and C2 don't share the same centre though. Hmm. The ones saying -23 < p < 14 are probably right then.
Reply 82
Original post by john4994
If the discriminant is a square number, it is rational, otherwise it is not. Thats the one thing i remembered from my last minute revision this morning!

Thank you! That's great - Now I know that I did get that question right. :biggrin:
Reply 83
Original post by soup
It changes every year.. so it will change this year

its just that I heard that you needed to get 68% for a B and I thought that was very high. Do you think that is possible
Reply 84
Original post by Venomous9
C1 and C2 don't share the same centre though. Hmm. The ones saying -23 < p < 14 are probably right then.

If p = 13.5 you would still be square rooting a negative so I believe it has to be p < 13
Reply 85
i feel like a jobby.
I did so crap in that :frown:
I missed out the 7 mark spazzy one, just stared at it for a while and gave up..
the circle question I just kept writing crap and couldn't figure out how to do it.. People either got 108, 13, or 23 and I got.....6 and 12....SIGH.
I hate logs but the log question I thought was easy until everybody around me said they got 32 instead of 5..
I messed up in the stupid simultaneous questions with that weird kite thing..my equations didn't fit..
Messed up on the nature table one.

Annnd, did crap in multichoice.
FMLLLLLLLLLLL.
Reply 86
Original post by soup
Oh , I see. I found that the radius had to be less than 6.

Thats what i got! i said r2 (radius of circle 2) + 5 (distance between the two centres) had to be < 11 (r1) otherwise they would be touching! so therefore r2< 6 (11-5) :s-smilie:
I dont know if i am completely wrong but i thought my logic was right, if i put anything bigger than 6 in the radius + the distance was large enough that it would touch.
Reply 87
These my answers for multiple choice, anybody get anything different? I originally got 2 wrong but I think I changed them and got them correct now...

1C
2B
3D
4D
5A
6C
7D
8A
9B ??
10D
11D
12C
13C
14B
15B
16A
17A
18C
19C
20C
You know that 10 mark integration?

Well I integrated between 3 and 0 and then integrated between 0 and -2 before finally adding them together- I think I got (65/3). I know this is wrong but how many marks do you think I'll get (assuming I haven't made any mistakes in my working).
Reply 89
Original post by soup
If p = 13.5 you would still be square rooting a negative so I believe it has to be p < 13

Yeah, he's right - I made that mistake earlier, so don't let my 'solution' I posted confuse any of you. p<13 not 14.
I'm embarrassed I made that mistake - i got 100% in my prelim (somehow) :s-smilie:
Hey everyone. I thought paper 1 was fine, but I tripped up on the first question but went back to it and eventually got the right answer (I hope) for it. Overall paper 1 was good, I think I've got maybe close to 60 for it.

Paper 2 was definitely more difficult. The first lot of questions were fine although the recurrence relations question threw me off a bit, but I managed to write the answer to it in the last 30 seconds of the exam - as a eureka moment lol.

For the logs question I forgot what I needed to do after getting to y=mx+c. The 7 mark integration question was hard and when I got to the last line of my working my answer didn't fit the requirements of t between 2 and 0 :s-smilie: For the last question I got p<13. But that was it. I think I've probably got about 40-45 marks for paper 2. So above 100 in total I hope. Hopefully that means it is an A.
Reply 91
Original post by Alex259
its just that I heard that you needed to get 68% for a B and I thought that was very high. Do you think that is possible

seriously, 68%? :eek: I have so failed..
Reply 92
Original post by Quintro
These my answers for multiple choice, anybody get anything different? I originally got 2 wrong but I think I changed them and got them correct now...

1C
2B
3D
4D
5A
6C
7D
8A
9B ??
10D
11D
12C
13C
14B
15B
16A
17A
18C
19C
20C

That's what I got except 20D
Original post by scotland369

Well I integrated between 3 and 0 and then integrated between 0 and -2 before finally adding them together- I think I got (65/3). I know this is wrong but how many marks do you think I'll get (assuming I haven't made any mistakes in my working).

Did you do top curve - bottom curve for this question?
Reply 94
Original post by chr1stopher11
The 7 mark integration question was hard and when I got to the last line of my working my answer didn't fit the requirements of t between 2 and 0 :s-smilie:

This happened to me too :frown:

I thought I was doing fine and then I ended up with like 6 and 11 or something...
Original post by kpopjpop
seriously, 68%? :eek: I have so failed..

No it will definitely not that high. A B will be about 62% or something close to it :smile:
Original post by scotland369

I got that! many in my school did as well...
Reply 97
Original post by soup

I wrote D for 20 in the exam but my friend said the answer is C because the maximum and minimum y values on the sin graph are 1 and -1.
Reply 98
Original post by soup

Yeah same as you, and pretty sure it is D.
Answers to paper 2 coming post-shower. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending