The Student Room Group

Hiding "My Stats"

As far as I'm aware, you can make most things private on your TSR profile. I'd quite like to make my post history private but there doesn't seem to be a way, anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LethalBizzle
As far as I'm aware, you can make most things private on your TSR profile. I'd quite like to make my post history private but there doesn't seem to be a way, anyone help?

There's no way, unfortunately.
Reply 2
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
There's no way, unfortunately.

Seems a bit strange that it's the only thing you can make private. Do you know why?

It's not a massive deal, but I've been on this site since I was a kid and I don't really like the idea of someone looking through all my posts since then (not that anyone would until now), and someone could theoretically identify me with them.
Seems a bit strange that it's the only thing you can make private. Do you know why?

It's not a massive deal, but I've been on this site since I was a kid and I don't really like the idea of someone looking through all my posts since then (not that anyone would until now), and someone could theoretically identify me with them.

I have no certain idea really. But if I was to guess it would be because your posts are on the public domain, therefore whilst they're there without being deleted or edited, they can be accessed by anyone either through your profile, threads or general search function. Hiding the option to browse through your posts would be contrary to that. That's just guessing, I'm sure there's some technical reason.

There are other options. If there is a major privacy concern, you could request a username change. I know this doesn't solve the problem as your member URL stays the same and people will still be able to search your posts, but it goes some way in protecting privacy.

Can I change my username?
No, except in exceptional circumstances. If you believe this to be the case, please post in Ask A Supermod setting out your reasons for wanting to change your username and what you would like it to be changed to. We do not change user names on the basis simply that you want a change, or dislike your current name. Username changes will not be approved if the requested username is offensive, two characters or less, or otherwise violates the rules.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I have no certain idea really. But if I was to guess it would be because your posts are on the public domain, therefore whilst they're there without being deleted or edited, they can be accessed by anyone either through your profile, threads or general search function. Hiding the option to browse through your posts would be contrary to that. That's just guessing, I'm sure there's some technical reason.

There are other options. If there is a major privacy concern, you could request a username change. I know this doesn't solve the problem as your member URL stays the same and people will stay be able to search your posts, but it goes some way in protecting privacy.

Would deleting my account do the trick? Or would my account still be there in some archive sense?
Would deleting my account do the trick? Or would my account still be there in some archive sense?

I don't think it's possible to delete accounts. There does seem to be some deleted accounts floating about. But on this forum, accounts are never deleted. At best, they are permanently banned which stops them from appearing in the memberlist.

If you did delete your account, I'd imagine your posts would still remain under some guest or unregistered account.
Though I'm sure a moderator will come in here and gave you a more correct account of such things since this all happens on their end. :tongue:
Reply 7
I don't think it's possible to delete accounts. There does seem to be some deleted accounts floating about. But on this forum, accounts are never deleted. At best, they are permanently banned which stops them from appearing in the memberlist.

If you did delete your account, I'd imagine your posts would still remain under some guest or unregistered account.

Yeah I realise they'd still be there - but would you be able to see them all from one click of a button?

Probably best to get an admin to clarify, no? Will they read this anyway or should I write to them directly?

Edit: Just saw your second post, yeah hopefully they'll clear it up, thanks for your help!
Reply 8

You can't delete your account I'm afraid, and as AGI said, you can't hide your posts either.
Reply 9
Original post by Mad Vlad
You can't delete your account I'm afraid, and as AGI said, you can't hide your posts either.

Thanks for the response. It seems strange though, would you know why it's like this? Also, how long do threads last before they are automatically deleted?
Thanks for the response. It seems strange though, would you know why it's like this? Also, how long do threads last before they are automatically deleted?

They aren't automatically deleted.
Reply 11

The reason is because this is a public forum. It's not like Facebook. Everything you post is intended to remain here, in the public domain forever.

Threads are never automatically deleted.
Reply 12
I don't think enough people realise that when they sign up and start posting.
Reply 13
Original post by cambo211

Me neither. I think to be honest most people tend to only read the FAQ's when they have a problem and not before hand.
Reply 14

Well... a forum is a forum...
Reply 15
Original post by Beska
Well... a forum is a forum...

Well yeah :tongue:

But a lot of people on here don't acknowledge the difference between a forum and facebook and think that they're able to completely disappear off the site at a moments notice for no reason.
Reply 16

But a lot of people on here don't acknowledge the difference between a forum and facebook and think that they're able to completely disappear off the site at a moments notice for no reason.

:p:

It is indeed curious.

Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Me neither. I think to be honest most people tend to only read the FAQ's when they have a problem and not before hand.

I totally agree (although facebook isn't any better), and I'm very careful now, but when I first joined I was 15 or whatever, young and naive.

Oh well..
Reply 18
I totally agree (although facebook isn't any better), and I'm very careful now, but when I first joined I was 15 or whatever, young and naive.

Oh well..

Started off young too eh? :smug: :cool:

You do have to be careful about what info you reveal online.

On the note about changing username. If they change your username , any old posts will have your new username aassociated with it.

I had an account called JR. I got them (or rather they made me :tongue:) change it to JR:smile: all it did was change my username on future and previous posts so in reality , your posts will always be associated with you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Started off young too eh? :smug: :cool:

You do have to be careful about what info you reveal online.

On the note about changing username. If they change your username , any old posts will have your new username aassociated with it.

I had an account called JR. I got them (or rather they made me :tongue:) change it to JR:smile: all it did was change my username on future and previous posts so in reality , your posts will always be associated with you.

Yeh I did the same (my young 'un username was something about skateboards or limp bizkit or something :tongue:).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending