The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6420
Apparently game and gamestation will have console deals tomorrow in store, these prices taken from 10 ways to save money as a student facebook group. Some very good prices if you don't mind a smaller hard drive!

PSPS:
BASE MODEL: £29.99
2000: £39.99
PSP GO AND 3003: £49.99

PS3'S:
40GB, 80GB AND 60GB: £99.99
120GB AND 160GB: £129.99
250GB AND 320GB: £149.99

WII'S:
WHITE: £39.99
BLACK: £49.99
BLUE WITH LONDON MARIO OLYMPICS: £59.99
RED LIMITED EDITION MARIO: £59.99

XBOX 360:
20GB AND 60GB; £69.99
250GB SLIM: £129.99

NINTENDO DS:
ORIGINAL: £19.99
Reply 6421
Hey guys who live in Warwick university, or might know the answer to this question...
Do warwick university halls allow network connections like the PSN to work? If so is it slow considering the amount of people that would be online, or does the connectivity feel normal to how you would have played at home; ie no lag.
Reply 6422
Those are very good console deals. :beard:

Lots of bargains going around might have to pop into the local store tomorrow to check out instore deals.
I'd be very weary of buying used consoles, personally. They might give you a year's warranty on it but they won't necessarily be around that long to sort you out in the not-so-unlikely event of something going wrong.
Reply 6424
Original post by Faridk
Hey guys who live in Warwick university, or might know the answer to this question...
Do warwick university halls allow network connections like the PSN to work? If so is it slow considering the amount of people that would be online, or does the connectivity feel normal to how you would have played at home; ie no lag.

I was in AV last year and had a problem in the first term because the internet was really **** in peak hours but they upgraded it in the 2nd term and it wasn't too bad :smile:
Reply 6425
So I've been playing mass effect 3 on my ps3. Really unsure about the game tbh. I love it but I think the multiplayer is fairly pointless and really not needed. I also don't like the companions you have. They could have chucked in a couple more from Mass Effect 2.
Original post by Aj12
So I've been playing mass effect 3 on my ps3. Really unsure about the game tbh. I love it but I think the multiplayer is fairly pointless and really not needed. I also don't like the companions you have. They could have chucked in a couple more from Mass Effect 2.

I'm not very far in and I've only got 4 squadmates so far but I can tell that there won't be many from the amount of screen space those 4 take up on the selection screen. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. A lot of the squadmates in ME2 were pretty useless. Usually I'd use one for Warp, one for Overload and another for Incinerate depending on the situation. Any characters without any of those abilities were near useless to me. Plus, now that Overload works extremely well against barriers, there's even less need for extra squadmates.

Playing the demo I found the multiplayer to be a lot of fun and I like how they've tied it in with the single player. If you don't like it, you don't really have to play it and you won't be penalised for not doing so.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. Massive improvement over ME2, in my opinion.
Original post by AugustWestie
I'm not very far in and I've only got 4 squadmates so far but I can tell that there won't be many from the amount of screen space those 4 take up on the selection screen. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. A lot of the squadmates in ME2 were pretty useless. Usually I'd use one for Warp, one for Overload and another for Incinerate depending on the situation. Any characters without any of those abilities were near useless to me. Plus, now that Overload works extremely well against barriers, there's even less need for extra squadmates.

Playing the demo I found the multiplayer to be a lot of fun and I like how they've tied it in with the single player. If you don't like it, you don't really have to play it and you won't be penalised for not doing so.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. Massive improvement over ME2, in my opinion.

I was exactly the same as you in ME2, I only ever used Mordin (incinerate) and Miranda (the other two). I might pop into sainsbury's on the way home and buy ME3.
Yeah, half of the squadmates were useless on ME2 while playing on insanity.

The main one's I used were Miranda, Garrus, Grunt & Mordin. Then Zaeed for his ammo power against Geth. Legion would have been quite useful, but you didn't get him until near the end.
Original post by Aj12

I had the same opinion but I'm really starting to enjoy the multiplayer now. It's a good mode to switch to when you're burnt out on the single player and becomes pretty addictive when you start levelling up, getting credits and good teammates, especially on the harder difficulties.

I agree with the companion thing. Far too few. I'm 9 hours in and only have like 4. I have met a few old faces but they haven't stuck around for various reasons.
Reply 6430
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I had the same opinion but I'm really starting to enjoy the multiplayer now. It's a good mode to switch to when you're burnt out on the single player and becomes pretty addictive when you start levelling up, getting credits and good teammates, especially on the harder difficulties.

I agree with the companion thing. Far too few. I'm 9 hours in and only have like 4. I have met a few old faces but they haven't stuck around for various reasons.

I am stuck between hating the way they dealt with previous companions and loving it. I don't want to elaborate any more cause im not sure how far you've gotten yet :tongue:
Original post by Aj12
I am stuck between hating the way they dealt with previous companions and loving it. I don't want to elaborate any more cause im not sure how far you've gotten yet :tongue:

Spoiler

:holmes:
Reply 6432
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Spoiler

:holmes:

Spoiler

Guyz, do you think it's a good idea to make a sticky thread which offers game recommendations for each console? It can be split in to various genres of shooters, RPGs, fighters etc. similar to Metacritic

Part of me feels sad to think that some of these TSR gamers are glued to nothing but COD style shooters for the rest of their days, or on the other hand, those who moan about how unoriginal gaming has become.
Original post by noggins
Guyz, do you think it's a good idea to make a sticky thread which offers game recommendations for each console? It can be split in to various genres of shooters, RPGs, fighters etc. similar to Metacritic

Part of me feels sad to think that some of these TSR gamers are glued to nothing but COD style shooters for the rest of their days, or on the other hand, those who moan about how unoriginal gaming has become.

Have you seen the society wiki page? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Playstation_3_Society

Granted, it needs updating (feel free to contribute there!), but it's a good place to start. :smile:
Hi, my name's Dean.
I'm mainly playing Uncharted 3 at the moment, but I get lonely and need some friends to play with :P

PSN: MrDeanoo

Add me if you play UC3, and we can play together =] I also have headset :wink:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Illusionary
Have you seen the society wiki page? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Playstation_3_Society

Granted, it needs updating (feel free to contribute there!), but it's a good place to start. :smile:

I will indeed contribute there, my old china plate. But it's not an easy page to find, is it? I don't think that many people bother with the articles tab for gaming. I thought there might be a link to that recommended games list on the first page of this thread, but it doesn't seem to :confused:

congrats on your 28k post count btw
Original post by noggins
I will indeed contribute there, my old china plate. But it's not an easy page to find, is it? I don't think that many people bother with the articles tab for gaming. I thought there might be a link to that recommended games list on the first page of this thread, but it doesn't seem to :confused:

congrats on your 28k post count btw

Third paragraph in the OP :p:
You can find all of our recommended PS3 and PSN games from the wiki ----------> HERE <--------------------, as well as troubleshooting.

And yeah, this would indeed be post #28,000 :eek: :o:
I've fallen into a bad habit over the last 5 or so years when playing RPGs. It's so easy to just check the internet when you get stuck or don't know which choice will get you the best rewards, and once you've done it once it gets exponentially easier to do so to the point where every decision you know what the results will be and it takes all the enjoyment out of it for me. I've not looked at anything for New Vegas and I'm determined not to read anything while I'm playing; I'm really looking forward to playing a role again. :biggrin:

Also, I remember Prince of Persia getting quite a bit of flak when it came out, so I never bothered looking at it despite enjoying the older games. I started playing it and the platforming feels so wonderfully smooth and fluid, I love it. And the combat is better than any of the previous games.
Original post by Phalanges
I've fallen into a bad habit over the last 5 or so years when playing RPGs. It's so easy to just check the internet when you get stuck or don't know which choice will get you the best rewards, and once you've done it once it gets exponentially easier to do so to the point where every decision you know what the results will be and it takes all the enjoyment out of it for me. I've not looked at anything for New Vegas and I'm determined not to read anything while I'm playing; I'm really looking forward to playing a role again. :biggrin:

Also, I remember Prince of Persia getting quite a bit of flak when it came out, so I never bothered looking at it despite enjoying the older games. I started playing it and the platforming feels so wonderfully smooth and fluid, I love it. And the combat is better than any of the previous games.

Are you talking about the remake with the new characters. If so I agree, I was pleasantly surprised by how good that game was.

Latest