The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by somemightsay888
Tomb Raider is excellent, varied combat and adventure sections, a good dark story and a bow and arrow. Worth it for the bow and arrow mechanics alone, been ages since a game got it so right.

I've been on CoD all weekend too, pleasantly surprised by it, but the spawns and such are still not good and the maps are a bit too close quarters for me.

Sounds good, I'm convinced. Either way, you can't really go wrong for 20 quid.

I agree about the maps and the respawning. I'd say at least once a match I find myself being shot at within a couple seconds of respawning. I think it's a combination of the maps being quite small and a lot the positions that you often respawn in being quite open and difficult to get out of without being seen. But I've been enjoying playing it, modes like Domination and Search and Destroy especially as people seem to be sticking to the objectives more so than in the previous titles.
Original post by Cll_ws
Sounds good, I'm convinced. Either way, you can't really go wrong for 20 quid.

I agree about the maps and the respawning. I'd say at least once a match I find myself being shot at within a couple seconds of respawning. I think it's a combination of the maps being quite small and a lot the positions that you often respawn in being quite open and difficult to get out of without being seen. But I've been enjoying playing it, modes like Domination and Search and Destroy especially as people seem to be sticking to the objectives more so than in the previous titles.

Makes me miss the early days of FPS online gaming where it was seen as dishonourable to spawn kill and people were given 2 warnings before being kicked from a server, same for camping.

Nowadays its seen as a "legit" way of winning to the point you get accused of whining if you complain.
Original post by drbluebox
Makes me miss the early days of FPS online gaming where it was seen as dishonourable to spawn kill and people were given 2 warnings before being kicked from a server, same for camping.

Nowadays its seen as a "legit" way of winning to the point you get accused of whining if you complain.

How dare people play a game they bought with their money in a certain way. :mad:
Campers are the main reason why I tend to dislike competitive FPS'. People stand in one place the whole game and don't move. I don't understand how that is enjoyable for anybody. Not that keen on Destiny's PvP, either, but with the mini map being always on, it's harder to camp.
Original post by Mr Smurf
How dare people play a game they bought with their money in a certain way. :mad:

Its a cheap kill and can break a game if you are trapped in a area and cant fight back, or spawn and have no time to react, thats why the early fps did not have random respawns it was all set areas(apart from modified servers)

In some ways I preferred it because it meant that you knew you could escape your spawn area without looking around for an enemy that spawned beside you, it only got bad if you were on a smaller map and had like 2 or 3 exits and people camped at them

And if you pressed the T/talk button you got a large icon above your head that made players aware you were AFK, I think some games even had a system where you got no points to kill someone in that state, and some moved you to spectator after only a minute or two.

Games like COD problem is the premium thing where people buff up their character on premium items and play in same servers as people with basic weapons who have no chance to fight back fairly
Guys, do you know which PS3 games let you upload gameplay to youtube? I can't find a list anywhere, argh.
Anyone got any good game suggestions, I don't own many on PS4 aside from The Evil Within, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, FIFA 15, Watch Dogs, The Last of Us and COD: Ghosts.

I pre-ordered Assassin's Creed: Unity... Is there anything else I should look at getting that's out or pre-order? COD: AW looks okay, I'm hoping it will be good but I'm tired of the COD franchise :redface:
Original post by tehFrance
Anyone got any good game suggestions, I don't own many on PS4 aside from The Evil Within, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, FIFA 15, Watch Dogs, The Last of Us and COD: Ghosts.

I pre-ordered Assassin's Creed: Unity... Is there anything else I should look at getting that's out or pre-order? COD: AW looks okay, I'm hoping it will be good but I'm tired of the COD franchise :redface:

Shadow of Mordor perhaps although I can't recommend it as I don't have it.
Far cry 4/ Dragon age inquisition ( I have preordered both.) :smile:
Hearing some very bad things about AC Unity. Framerate drops to 20fps, texture pop in, NPC pop in, poor graphics etc
Hearing some very bad things about AC Unity. Framerate drops to 20fps, texture pop in, NPC pop in, poor graphics etc

really? thanks for the heads up, might get the PC version instead if PS4 one has issues!
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
really? thanks for the heads up, might get the PC version instead if PS4 one has issues!

Reviews have been terrible for it too, highest is 7.8, the lowest is 2/5, from reputable reviewers. I wouldn't get the PC one either, the requirements are ridiculously high because they haven't optimised the game :frown:
Reviews have been terrible for it too, highest is 7.8, the lowest is 2/5, from reputable reviewers. I wouldn't get the PC one either, the requirements are ridiculously high because they haven't optimised the game :frown:

damn, might wait then, get it like cheap in the January sales if I can, just so I can play it cause I've played all the others in the series.

will probably get Rogue too
damn, might wait then, get it like cheap in the January sales if I can, just so I can play it cause I've played all the others in the series.

will probably get Rogue too

Imagine if Rogue got higher review scores than the next gen titles, that'd be a serious black mark! Yeah, I think I'll wait for the patches to take place before I consider buying, heard the story and the characters are terrible too though

You might want to check where you're getting your information from - an 81 on Metacritic is hardly 'terrible' :wink: Even the Xbox One's version's current 76 (based on a wider population) still represents "generally favourable" opinion.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/assassins-creed-unity
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/assassins-creed-unity

Where issues have been raised, they don't appear necessarily to be platform-specific. :nah: Your best bet would be to have a read of the reviews (and watch some gameplay videos from Youtube or similar) before making a purchasing decision.

Original post by tehFrance

First, if you don't have a PlayStation Plus subscription, start there.

Now that that's sorted, my first comment would be to avoid actual pre-orders if you can help it - wait until critical impressions are available if possible. That said, for specific game recommendations:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor would get my strong recommendation - it stands out to me from the recent releases, combining the best from Assassin's Creed and the Arkham games along with a very compelling and original mechanic with the 'nemesis system'.
Rayman Legends is *superb* all-round
Far Cry 4 is out imminently and looks to be very promising. If you enjoyed the previous game at all, take a look there.
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is a perfect time to experience the game if you didn't play it when originally released.

Also, don't discount digital-only releases on the PlayStation Store - there are some gems to be found there as well that may not get hyped in the same way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Illusionary
You might want to check where you're getting your information from - an 81 on Metacritic is hardly 'terrible' :wink: Even the Xbox One's version's current 76 (based on a wider population) still represents "generally favourable" opinion.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/assassins-creed-unity
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/assassins-creed-unity

Gamespot's review is not included there - 7/10
IGN is not there - 7.8/10
Joystiq is not there - 2.5/5
Kotaku's review is not there - NO (They use a recommend system so understandable but still negative from a major reviewer)
Destructoid's review is not there - 7/10
Polygon's review is not there - 6.5/10

These are terrible reviews from the major sites averaging around 70%. I think my information is pretty valid... :biggrin:
Gamespot's review is not included there - 7/10
IGN is not there - 7.8/10
Joystiq is not there - 2.5/5
Kotaku's review is not there - NO (They use a recommend system so understandable but still negative from a major reviewer)
Destructoid's review is not there - 7/10
Polygon's review is not there - 6.5/10

These are terrible reviews from the major sites averaging around 70%. I think my information is pretty valid... :biggrin:

All except the Kotaku review (which has no score) are included in the Xbox One version's score, as linked above - that seems to be where most are being shown, where the review isn't version-specific,

While I'd not cite a Metacritic average as the definitive word on a game's quality (there's not really any such thing, anyway!), the average there is showing as 76 at a minimum (based on the Xbox One link above). Even if we use a score of 70% as the average, that doesn't represent a "terrible" score either. Looking at a few major sites, 70% is described as:
Gamespot: "good"
IGN: "good"
Destructoid: "good"
Original post by Illusionary
All except the Kotaku review (which has no score) are included in the Xbox One version's score, as linked above - that seems to be where most are being shown, where the review isn't version-specific,

While I'd not cite a Metacritic average as the definitive word on a game's quality (there's not really any such thing, anyway!), the average there is showing as 76 at a minimum (based on the Xbox One link above). Even if we use a score of 70% as the average, that doesn't represent a "terrible" score either. Looking at a few major sites, 70% is described as:
Gamespot: "good"
IGN: "good"
Destructoid: "good"

I disagree, 76% is absolutely terrible for a next gen exclusive considering just how pleasantly surprising Black Flag was while still being constrained by past gen technology. The improvements for the PS4/X1 weren't revolutionary but they were marked, IMO. It's only 2 off a "mixed" Metacritic aggregate and I think once the rest of the reviews come flooding in free from embargo it'll sink into that. Ahh I didn't check the XB one, I've got a PS4 so instinctively went for that, my mistake :smile: Yeah I agree, there's no definitive word on quality but even the User Reviews are hovering just above 4/10. Early days yet though, I think we'll know properly after a month when Ubisoft inevitably implement patches
Only a couple of posts away from the next thread! :biggrin:

Seriously considering getting a Vita now. I've a few things I could trade into CEX so the console would cost about £50. I have a backlog of 5-10 PS plus games I'm interested in (plus loads more I added because why wouldn't you if they are free?) and looking in CEX and on amazon there is several more I'd be interested in.
How good is the screen on it?
Is it any good for youtube/iplayer/general internet? Currently use my phone around the house but the small screen is starting to get on my nerves.
Which memory card do you have and how many games can it hold?
Are the multiplayer games any good (lots of players, little lag etc) or is it mainly single player?
I disagree, 76% is absolutely terrible for a next gen exclusive considering just how pleasantly surprising Black Flag was while still being constrained by past gen technology. The improvements for the PS4/X1 weren't revolutionary but they were marked, IMO. It's only 2 off a "mixed" Metacritic aggregate and I think once the rest of the reviews come flooding in free from embargo it'll sink into that. Ahh I didn't check the XB one, I've got a PS4 so instinctively went for that, my mistake :smile: Yeah I agree, there's no definitive word on quality but even the User Reviews are hovering just above 4/10. Early days yet though, I think we'll know properly after a month when Ubisoft inevitably implement patches

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one :tongue: I'd say, though, that you'd expect the new generation of consoles to mean that average review scores should be higher - after all, there's an upper limit on scores! More likely, they may mean that we have a new benchmark in certain respects. Either way, in this case I'm not getting AC: Unity immediately (no need, I'm plenty busy enough with games at the moment and won't be in the country for most of December anyway :tongue:), but nor am I going to write it off completely as a purchase a little way down the line. :smile:

One particular thing that I'd comment on from your post, though - pretty much the first rule of Metacritic is "ignore user scores". :tongue: So many times you'll see scores of either 0 or 10 which clearly haven't been given any proper thought!

Original post by dhr90
Only a couple of posts away from the next thread! :biggrin:
I'm way ahead of you there :tongue: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2966943 :smile:

And with that, so ends thread #IV :ahee:

Latest