The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Because you will never get all of the helium out of the cylinder, it will have some left inside it and the 0.08 is the volume of the cylinder - it says so at the top of the question.
Reply 61
Original post by Chandler
Because you will never get all of the helium out of the cylinder, it will have some left inside it and the 0.08 is the volume of the cylinder - it says so at the top of the question.

But why is it 0.08? How do you know that?
Reply 62
Seems simple enough, but kind of stuck. Was wondering how to get the voltages VP and VQ in Question 25, part a) ii) in the 2010 paper.

Was unsure about the helium question too. It does say that that's the amount of gas the cylinder contains= 8.0*10^-2 m^3 and I'm assuming since they used a past tense (i.e. released) we are to assume that that amount of helium has already been used up to fill balloons, and hence deduct it from the total volume. Seems rather snide to be in a physics paper, though.
Reply 63
Original post by Carissima
Seems simple enough, but kind of stuck. Was wondering how to get the voltages VP and VQ in Question 25, part a) ii) in the 2010 paper.

Was unsure about the helium question too. It does say that that's the amount of gas the cylinder contains= 8.0*10^-2 m^3 and I'm assuming since they used a past tense (i.e. released) we are to assume that that amount of helium has already been used up to fill balloons, and hence deduct it from the total volume. Seems rather snide to be in a physics paper, though.

I think there has to be more to it than that? Surely?
Reply 64
Original post by soup
I think there has to be more to it than that? Surely?

I think so too. But the only reason I could figure out is that they say so and so volume of gas is RELEASED. Hence adding a problem solving element in there. I hope for our sake that there's a REAL reason to it, that I'm missing. It'll be unnerving to know there are little tricks like that the examiners are playing on us.

P.S. Any idea on the Q. 25? Also, T = W/cos(x), correct?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65

No, it's not snide at all. Valid question and is in different problem collections. Just had a quick look and found this example. See Q5c in that exercise - it is same thing.

This type of problem is Higher outcome 2 (what was called problem solving at Standard Grade) according to the SQA.
Reply 66
I think so too. But the only reason I could figure out is that they say so and so volume of gas is RELEASED. Hence adding a problem solving element in there. I hope for our sake that there's a REAL reason to it, that I'm missing. It'll be unnerving to know there are little tricks like that the examiners are playing on us.

P.S. Any idea on the Q. 25? Also, T = W/cos(x), correct?

Vp = (1600/2400)x 12
Vq = (6000/10000)x 12
And then it it just Vp - Vq

And I don't know what you mean by T = W/cos(x)
(edited 12 years ago)

It's the potential acorss the bottom resistor of each voltage divider. I might be missing something but it looks like you just use Ohm's law to get them.
T = W/cos(x), correct?

Are you trying to rearrange the equation that finds the component of weight acting down a slope?
Reply 69
Original post by soup
Vp = (1600/2400)x 12
Vq = (6000/10000)x 12
And then it it just Vp - Vq

And I don't know what you mean by T = W/cos(x)

Sorry for the lack of clarity. T = tension, W = mg (weight), and x is the angle of the string to the relevant axis.
Reply 70
Original post by soup
But why is it 0.08? How do you know that?

This is because once the pressure of the gas inside the cylinder matches that of
the filled baloons, there is no more pressure difference and no more baloons can be 'completely' filled with the Helium. Completely filled baloon is 0.020m^3 at 125KPa apparently!
Reply 71
Original post by Chandler
No, it's not snide at all. Valid question and is in different problem collections. Just had a quick look and found this example. See Q5c in that exercise - it is same thing.

This type of problem is Higher outcome 2 (what was called problem solving at Standard Grade) according to the SQA.

Rather new to the Scottish education system, so my observations are more or less those of an outsider. Excuse the occasional ignorant remark. :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Barba Suave
Are you trying to rearrange the equation that finds the component of weight acting down a slope?

The equation for Tension. T = Tension, W = mg (weight), x = angle to relevant axis (in this case vertical).
Reply 73
Original post by tomctutor
This is because once the pressure of the gas inside the cylinder matches that of
the filled baloons, there is no more pressure difference and no more baloons can be 'completely' filled with the Helium. Completely filled baloon is 0.020m^3 at 125KPa apparently!

I'm still not getting this. So when the cylinder starts to release gas the pressure goes from 750kPa to 125kPa and then stops and the total volume goes from 0.08 to 0.48. So why isn't there 0.48 in the balloons then?
Reply 74
Original post by soup
I'm still not getting this. So when the cylinder starts to release gas the pressure goes from 750kPa to 125kPa and then stops and the total volume goes from 0.08 to 0.48. So why isn't there 0.48 in the balloons then?

The original volume of gas (cylinder only) at 750KPA expands to fill baloons completely and 0.08 m^3 remains in tank at 125KPa.
Think gas in cylinder -> gas in cylinder + gas in baloons.

Once the pressure has bottomed to 125KPA how could you get it out of the tank
into more baloons!
Reply 75
The original volume of gas (cylinder only) at 750KPA expands to fill baloons completely and 0.08 m^3 remains in tank at 125KPa.
Think gas in cylinder -> gas in cylinder + gas in baloons.

Once the pressure has bottomed to 125KPA how could you get it out of the tank
into more baloons!

But why is it 0.08? Why not 0.07 or 0.09? Or is it just because that was there originally?
Reply 76
guys thanks for the help keep it up
Reply 77
Original post by soup
But why is it 0.08? Why not 0.07 or 0.09? Or is it just because that was there originally?

The cylinder is rigid made from steel presumably and can't change volume it is 0.08m^3 (the gas must fill the space available, unlike a liquid which will have a certain fixed volume) . The baloons can expand each to a volume 0.020m^3 as stated in the question.
You can't change the constants in a question to suit yourself, if the question says this is that etc then that is what it is wether you like it or not!
Reply 78
The cylinder is rigid made from steel presumably and can't change volume it is 0.08m^3 (the gas must fill the space available, unlike a liquid which will have a certain fixed volume) . The baloons can expand each to a volume 0.020m^3 as stated in the question.
You can't change the constants in a question to suit yourself, if the question says this is that etc then that is what it is wether you like it or not!

Thanks, you've made it sooo much clearer.
Can anyone help me with a question on the 2010 paper? It's question 25 a ii. How do you calculate the voltage? :/ Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending