The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2011

:wink:Ready for Monday?
Seriously hope the grade boundaries aren't as high as they were in 2010. In 2010, an A was 74%+ :frown:
Hopefully mulitple choice will help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was so annoyed when our school moved the grade boundaries up in the prelim (even though everyone did crap) - I was about a couple of percent off an A1.

But can't wait it's going to be great. I have only done revision in class for it so I'll need to whap out my past paper book and get stuck in.
Reply 2
Aww that is annoying! That happened to me with my Geography prelim.

My prelim was only Unit 1 and Unit 2, was that like yours?
I seriously hope there's nothing on MOSFETs and p-n junctions because I'm no good at that stuff.
Do you ever feel the calculations are much easier than the questions you have to write sentences for? I always seem to get the written questions wrong!
Reply 3
Original post by tragicmagic
Aww that is annoying! That happened to me with my Geography prelim.

My prelim was only Unit 1 and Unit 2, was that like yours?
I seriously hope there's nothing on MOSFETs and p-n junctions because I'm no good at that stuff.
Do you ever feel the calculations are much easier than the questions you have to write sentences for? I always seem to get the written questions wrong!

Yeah but we had a 2nd prelim aswell for all units.
I'm absolutely crap at knowledge questions (same for chemistry) but calculations and problem solving are fine.
You started your revision yet?
Reply 4
Yeah I have started but I don't know how effective it has been.
Sometimes in Physics I can get easy As but other times I just majorly fail, that's why I'm scared.. I have the potential to just freak out and fail the whole thing.
I feel like I can secure As in my other subjects but not in Physics!
Are you taking Advanced?
Reply 5
I have to really start revising for physics, i'll go over my notes tomorrow morning and do a few past papers within the next few days. Hope the exam isn't too hard.
Reply 6
Original post by tragicmagic
Yeah I have started but I don't know how effective it has been.
Sometimes in Physics I can get easy As but other times I just majorly fail, that's why I'm scared.. I have the potential to just freak out and fail the whole thing.
I feel like I can secure As in my other subjects but not in Physics!
Are you taking Advanced?

Yes I am indeed taking Advanced and plan to go to University and gain a degree in it. Are you taking it?
Reply 7
No I'm not, this is the end of Physics and me - although I was recommended it!
Good luck with that, I've heard they need more people doing Physics at Uni, hope it all goes well :smile:
Reply 8
I'm feeling fairly confident about it - I got 93% in our second prelim, so I'm not doing too badly. The only problem I have is that I can't do explanations! I always forget the important words and end up with about 0.5 out of 3 marks - thankfully I'm okay with calculations.
Can't wait to do advanced higher though! :P
Reply 9
I got very solid A1 results in the prelims that I sat, but I am worried largely about the explanations. The maths side of Physics I barely lose marks on, its the descriptions that get me. "Why do faint dark lines appear.." type questions, where there are set points to mention. I usually waffle on and miss them all..!

I'm hoping to do (Astro)physics at University, so I've been revising quite a bit, just hope that the paper isnt suddenly more difficult than it usually is...
Reply 10
hi guys and girls these are questions from past papers i need help with i would appreciate it if some one could answer all or some of them feel free to post things ur stuck on and i and everyone else will try help:

2000: 27c i -iii, 28bi -iii, 30 aiii, b
2001: 15,18, 25b, 27a bi ii, 28 bi,
2002: 13,14,15,17
2003: 27bi
2004: 14,19,20
2005: 14, 30 aii
2006: 2,3,18
2007 13
2008: 12, 27aii,
2009: 4,13,20,
2010: 13,20,

answer as many as possible plz with how you do it not just the answer feel free to post ur questions
I absolutely love physics!! Hoping the exam isn't too rough!
Probably the exam I'm most confident about actually, thanks to a score of 86% in the prelim :smile: Which REALLY surprised me.

As said above, I also find the explanation/knowledge questions to be the most troublesome. And my teacher was very brief regarding the later parts of Unit 3 ie. MOSFET and p-n junctions etc, so I'll have to try to basically... understand all that :P
Reply 13
I agree with so much in this thread that I'm not even going to quote it... But here is my list of points to add:

-I got 75% in the 1st prelim, was pretty chuffed with that considering it was bloody difficult (evil teacher) and most other people in my class got Cs etc.

-I got 85% in the 2nd prelim which covered mostly unit 2 (we did units 1 and 3 first) was happy with that as well

-I want an A1 in physics in the final exam... Although this is optimistic I think I can do it as long as I don't party too hard this weekend (FREE HOUSE)

-Tomorrow I'll be revising alllllllll dayyyyyy and hopefully I can keep that up well enough until monday!

-Explain questions ALWAYS seem to catch me out. Even though I understand what's happening in a question I always assume the marker knows that I know so forget to include the basics which means I lose lots of marks.
Reply 14
Plz can someone start to put up some answers for the above dont forget post on here questions ur not sure off
Reply 15
worked pastpaper solutions are available on this website: http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/higher-revision/
Reply 16
Q14 2004

Work out the wavelength of the sound - use the equations found in the data book, then use f=V/Lambda to find a formula for frequency
Reply 17
The majority of the questions can be solved by writing down everything you know, putting the symbols beside them - then finding an equation in the data book which links them to the unknown.
Reply 18
Original post by ces8000
worked pastpaper solutions are available on this website: http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/higher-revision/

hi thanks really good link but it doesnt show me how how would get the answers for the multichoice so can you plz show how to them thanks in adavance really appreciate the link
Reply 19
thanks guys for the advice but i would appreciate it if someone could show how to do them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending