Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is better - The Samsung Galaxy S2 or The I Phone 4...?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, which one is better overall? What are each phone's weaknesses and strengths?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ideally you should visit a phone store and ask there
    It totally depends on the type of phone experience you want
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just looking at spec, the S2 is better than the iPhone 4. But as HugoDuchovny said, have a play with both operating systems, see which you prefer to use.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HugoDuchovny)
    Ideally you should visit a phone store and ask there
    It totally depends on the type of phone experience you want
    Experience? lol. I just want a phone for texting and calling! haha.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkP)
    Experience? lol. I just want a phone for texting and calling! haha.
    nokia 3310
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say have a play around with both.
    On pure specs, the Samsung is better, but it really depends on if you want a very controlled experience (iOS), or the ability to do whatever the hell you want (Android).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HugoDuchovny)
    nokia 3310
    No, I'm kidding. I want to text and call (obviously) but I would also heard that the apps are good on the I Phone though. I also wouldn't mind having internet on my phone.
    • 51 followers

ReputationRep:
    Technically, the S2, but both are excellent handsets and excellent phones overall. The question of which is "better" is pretty much dependant on your preference of operating system. iPhones are deemed more superior media devices and have far larger app support (Although android is catching up), while Android are far more customisable. The dimensions of both phones are also very different, and some people deem the S2's 4.3" screen to be too large, and vice versa.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Neither!

Get a Samsung Nexus S or HTC Sensation!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Engadget sums it up nicely.

For a handset with such a broad range of standout features and specs, the Galaxy S II is remarkably easy to summarize. It's the best Android smartphone yet, but more importantly, it might well be the best smartphone, period. Of course, a 4.3-inch screen size won't suit everyone, no matter how stupendously thin the device that carries it may be, and we also can't say for sure that the Galaxy S II would justify a long-term iOS user foresaking his investment into one ecosystem and making the leap to another. Nonetheless, if you're asking us what smartphone to buy today, unconstrained by such externalities, the Galaxy S II would be the clear choice. Sometimes it's just as simple as that.
    Also:

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    IPhone 4! - I have this phone and it's good for texting, calling, Internet browsing etc. The apps are extremely good and helpful. Maps, YouTube and the Camera is brilliant (good quality!)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i never understood the truly multitasking bit - why doesn't it truly multitask?
    • 51 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    i never understood the truly multitasking bit - why doesn't it truly multitask?
    Most apps are "paused" on iPhones when you switch apps, rather than continuing to run in the background as pre fully fledged multitasking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick the Samsung, for the hardware and what the iPhone can do, it is heavily overpriced.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pochi_X)
    Neither!

Get a Samsung Nexus S or HTC Sensation!
    Nexus S over the SGSII? :rolleyes:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Most apps are "paused" on iPhones when you switch apps, rather than continuing to run in the background as pre fully fledged multitasking.
    Not that that is specifically a bad thing. Most of the time, that is all the user wants. And for the other times, most things can be done on iOS. There are only a small number of cases where you actually do need "real" multitasking.
    • 51 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n65uk)
    I'd pick the Samsung, for the hardware and what the iPhone can do, it is heavily overpriced.
    Most smartphones are, you'll find that most high-end handsets cost well over £400 but only a couple of hundred to manufacture. Profit margins are big in this industry, Apple certainly aren't the only culprits.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Not that that is specifically a bad thing. Most of the time, that is all the user wants. And for the other times, most things can be done on iOS. There are only a small number of cases where you actually do need "real" multitasking.
    Agreed. I personally doubt I'd make much use of proper multitasking, although the option would be nice to have just in case =P
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there are that many people posting in this thread who have actually used both phones on a day to day basis so I'll share my views on it.

I recently sold my iPhone 4 for £470 on eBay (just to live you an idea of the resale value of iPhones) and bought a Galaxy S II for £400.

The screen is definitely a huge improvement, and I don't really mind the lower pixel density unless I'm on a website with very small text on it. On the topic of web browsing, I'd say the browsing experience is far more complete. It quicker to load pages and flash is seamless, but pinch-to-zoom or scrolling aren't as fluid as they are on the iPhone. In general, apps launch faster than on the iPhone too, although there's a bit more 'lag' in things like swiping from one home page to the other. Not that it really makes a difference to the speed, but it's noticeable nonetheless.

The Android market really isn't bad although the App Store has the benefit of having been launched before with support from major developers. Your experience will depend on what sort of app you tend to install on your phone.

The size of the screen makes for quite a good movie viewing experience, if that's your sort of thing. I can foresee it being very useful on flights and the phone supports a variety of file formats that you simply can't view on the iPhone due to software and hardware restrictions.

The cameras performance is about equal, although movie recording is better on the SGS II. Remember that you can use very large memory cards too (up to 32 GB on top of the 16 GB internal memory).

The sound output from the SGS II is probably a little bit better than the iPhone 4, but it's difficult to hear a difference to be honest. The music player app is adequate unless you're tied into iTunes or can't live without 'Genius playlists'. I found this a little disappointing at first but I don't mind it now.

Overall, I'm happy with my transition from the iPhone 4 to the SGS II. It can only improve with future updates and the ROM community, and the hardware is well built (don't worry about it being plastic) and high spec. It's a very future-proof phone.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Samsung is well known for its good quality. iPhones are over-rated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Nexus S over the SGSII? :rolleyes:
    For me, I don't need the extra raw power of the SGS2.

I prefer having the Nexus S, no touchwiz crap (only stock android goodness), a tad better build quality of the Nexus S compared to the SGS2.

And the most important part, getting the android updates priority and non-stop updates (till hardware restriction on future android releases).

Last but not least, the "prestige" of owning a Nexus phone is big!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2011
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.