The Student Room Group

Geology OCR 19th May 2011

Just wondered what everyone thought of the paper. I quite liked it because we went through the continental drift essay the last night and nailed it. So happy when it came up. Few slightly weird questions in the middle, I felt, about the "slabs of oceanic crust in the fold mountains", I think I put diapirs but in hind-site, I know think its ogeonic belts and another weird question, I thought, on the convection currents and reasons for the pushing and pulling, but I blabbed a bit and hopefully got the mark.

All in all, a standard paper from OCR. :biggrin:
Reply 1
I think the oceanic crust in continent was an ophiolite. The one I got wrong and i can't believe it was the diagram of the convergent plate boundary. Hopefully I'll get a few marks for the batholith, metamorphosed rock and direction of plate movement. There was a question on the same page which said name a fault which causes crustal ____ but I can't remember did it say thickening or thinning? I thought it said thickening but my friend read thinning. I said thrust fault?
The 10 mark one was really good but I'm disappointed about the lack of questions on effects on the built environment and prediction :frown:
Original post by Blothom
I think the oceanic crust in continent was an ophiolite. The one I got wrong and i can't believe it was the diagram of the convergent plate boundary. Hopefully I'll get a few marks for the batholith, metamorphosed rock and direction of plate movement. There was a question on the same page which said name a fault which causes crustal ____ but I can't remember did it say thickening or thinning? I thought it said thickening but my friend read thinning. I said thrust fault?
The 10 mark one was really good but I'm disappointed about the lack of questions on effects on the built environment and prediction :frown:

The crustal extension would be a fault that resulted from tensional forces, which I put was a normal fault because it was pulled apart (which is how it fractured etc). You could have thrust fault as well. :wink:

Yes, that last question was a gift of eight marks! I talked about rock types, fossils, and the 'jigsaw-fit' of continents!

Although, what did you all put for the question that asked about the process that 'pushed' plates apart, and pprocess that 'pulled' plates apart? I wrote intrusion of rocks at ridge, and convection currents, respectively (and obviously explained them), but not sure if that's right...?
Reply 3
Original post by Dizzy in my Head
The crustal extension would be a fault that resulted from tensional forces, which I put was a normal fault because it was pulled apart (which is how it fractured etc). You could have thrust fault as well. :wink:

Yeah I put Reverse fault as well, but I imagine, thrust fault will be fine because its the same thing.

Although, what did you all put for the question that asked about the process that 'pushed' plates apart, and pprocess that 'pulled' plates apart? I wrote intrusion of rocks at ridge, and convection currents, respectively (and obviously explained them), but not sure if that's right...?

I put exactly the same as but I got told a different answer for the second, can't remember what I was told though :tongue: sorry!! :rolleyes:

And for the final 8 mark question I did, paelomagnetism from the magnetite particles in Basalt which point to magnetic North when extruded and how these rocks can be dated using isotopes and half life decay and therefore plotted on a map, to show when the plates were together and apart... etc.
And features, such as the fold mountains that run through Africa and South America and back into Africa.
And fossils, like the esturaine based mesosaurs found in South America and Africa and Glossipteris Flora found in South America, Africa, Australia, India and Antarctica... (Gondwanaland) :smile:
Original post by Tommeo
I put exactly the same as but I got told a different answer for the second, can't remember what I was told though :tongue: sorry!! :rolleyes:

Yay! Although, yeah, when I came out of the exam, I was thinking maybe the second one wasn't convection currents, and that maybe it was the asthenosphere acting as a Rheid and partial melting and stuff...:frown:

Hopefully we did OK, good luck to you on Results Day (I'll be dreading it)! Oh, yeah, you put 'reverse fault' when you quoted me, did you mean normal fault? :tongue:
Reply 5
Yay! Although, yeah, when I came out of the exam, I was thinking maybe the second one wasn't convection currents, and that maybe it was the asthenosphere acting as a Rheid and partial melting and stuff...:frown:

Yeah I was thinking that as well :smile:

Hopefully we did OK, good luck to you on Results Day (I'll be dreading it)!

Thanks, I imagine, it'll be okay, because this exam was a good one and i'm quite confident with it :smile: And you too :smile:
Oh, yeah, you put 'reverse fault' when you quoted me, did you mean normal fault? :tongue:
I don't think so because the normal fault leads to crustal extension and reverse crustal shortening, and in the question it stated, (from memory) Crustal thickening and, I thought because Crustal Extension thins the crust, shortening must thicken and therefore, I think I wrote Reverse Fault.... I'm not very good at explaining it, so I put a picture in :smile:

Probably should cut down on the number of quotes I do :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Blothom
There was a question on the same page which said name a fault which causes crustal ____ but I can't remember did it say thickening or thinning?

Pretty sure it said Thickening
Original post by Blothom
I said thrust fault?
Thrust fault should be fine :biggrin:
Original post by blothom
The 10 mark one was really good but I'm disappointed about the lack of questions on effects on the built environment and prediction
Yeah I was expecting something on either Earthquake or Volcanic Prediction but nothing whatsoever, they're probably saving that one for January or next May, with a big 8 marker. And the time when the other one doesn't come up, they'll be a structured one on it. They might do Volcanic Prediction - Big 8 Mark Essay in January and a structured question on Earthquake Prediction in May/June. :smile:
Reply 7
I can't remember the question exactly but we had to draw a convergent plate boundary (was it continent continent?) with labelled batholith, direction of movement, fold mountains, partial melting and metamorphosed rocks. I know this should have been an easy one, but exactly did everyone else draw? I drew two plates going together and everything but even though I've drawn it a million times before I didn't draw the SUBDUCTION! :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Blothom
I can't remember the question exactly but we had to draw a convergent plate boundary (was it continent continent?) with labelled batholith, direction of movement, fold mountains, partial melting and metamorphosed rocks. I know this should have been an easy one, but exactly did everyone else draw? I drew two plates going together and everything but even though I've drawn it a million times before I didn't draw the SUBDUCTION! :frown:

I didn't draw subduction either... I Just drew the final stage where there is a huge fold mountain and the subducted bit has already melted, (like the picture) but it was more of a label question than a draw question, so I imagine if the labels are in the right place, it should be ok, and at worse, we'll lose one mark. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending