The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by Becca
Fair enough if you find it stable!

Yes it's quite a genius idea. BM is a god on knowing some weird **** that help with lifting and form etc. :P

Still, kinda shocked at how low it is compared to my squat.
Reply 501
OHP
60kg - 1x2

Bench
72.5kg - 3x10

DB Bench (paused)
30kg - 1x10, 1x11, 1x9

BB Row
70kg - 1x10, 1x9, 1x8

Towel Pull-ups
3x?

DB Side Raises superset w/ hammer curls
2x?

Decided to pause my reps on DB Bench; thought it made sense as it can help the bottom of my bench. If not, whatever, but any benefit is good so might as well try that variation. The grip on my BB Rows is quite weak which is quite worrying/disappointing. Even with chalk, after like 3-4 reps I'm holding onto the bar with only my finger tips so of course my pulling ability is weaker than if I had a really solid grip on the bar.

Not sure what to do about that. Of course the solution is to improve grip but I mean I'm doing things to try help it so dunno much more I can do.
Don't want to sound like a judgemental prick, but... difficulty holding onto 70kg? Snatch grip?

Get straps man.... good for rows anyway, deactivates bi's/forearms so you can focus on pulling with back.
Reply 503
Original post by redbuthotter
Don't want to sound like a judgemental prick, but... difficulty holding onto 70kg? Snatch grip?

Get straps man.... good for rows anyway, deactivates bi's/forearms so you can focus on pulling with back.

I don't know, I'm gonna blame it on genetics of having short fingers and small hands. Not snatch grip, the same width as I bench so fairly wide but not as much as snatch.

I do have straps. Just I thought better not to use them to allow my grip to improve.
What does your grip training consist of atm? I personally like doing static hangs and gripper work. Too lazy to do the latter nwdays.
Reply 505
What does your grip training consist of atm? I personally like doing static hangs and gripper work. Too lazy to do the latter nwdays.

Okay I don't do any outright grip work. I have includes towel pull-ups for a mix of back work and grip work though.

I mean, I'd have imagined just deadlifts, pull-ups and rows would have done enough.
Yeah sounds fine tbh, I only did grip work for lulz..... This was my main motivation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6uw5jg9VdM&feature=channel_video_title
Reply 507
Squat
165kg - 1x2 PR

Romanian Deadlift
102.5kg - 3x13

Leg Curls
2x?

Abs

Really happy with 165x2. The first rep was really difficult and I wasn't even sure if I wanted to try the second one but I just thought "**** it" might as well try and if not whatever. Hard one but very happy to get it. Rest was okay, did some decently heavy leg curls too just to really push hamstrings.
Reply 508
Bench
100kg - 1x3

Dips
BW - 1x18, 1x19, 1x15

OHP
45kg - 3x10

Pull-ups
Wide: 1x10, 1x6
Neutral: 1x9, 1x6
Chins: 2x7
Wide: 1x4, 1x1

Skullcrushers
3x?

Decent day, nothing special. I mean, I realised I was bouncing it a bit too much when benching so I decided to do 100kg and be more strict. Got 3 reps which isn't terribly bad but still, I need to remain really tight and get it without trying to bounce at all.

Rest was fairly okay I suppose.
Reply 509
Deadlift
185kg - 1x2 PR

Front Squat
67.5kg - 3x3 (light set)

T-Bar Row
3x?

Back Raises
20kg - 3x12

Pretty happy with the deadlift. The first rep was quite a bit harder than I expected and the second rep was a real killer. Definitely was not gonna let go of it till I locked it out though. Pretty happy considering last night I went clubbing so didn't get much sleep - I think on a better day I maybe would have got 3 reps.

Decided to go lighter on the FS. My knees were really shot and I've been having this feeling quite a bit more lately. Kinda worried.
Time to foam roll :smile:
What Monk said.
Reply 512
Original post by The Blind Monk
Time to foam roll :smile:

Yes I thought about this.

I can't foam roll my knee though?
True, but you can foam roll your IT band/Quad/Adductors/Calves, which tends to alleviate knee pain for a lot of people. Knee sleeves are a good idea as well.
Defranco's agile 8 is a nice place to start.
Reply 515
Defranco's agile 8 is a nice place to start.

Cool, you used it yourself? How's it going/how did it work for you?
Yeah parts of it, like the first 2 are a must. I do number 3 and the last one sometimes too.

Only discovered foam rolling 2 weeks back, so far been smashing PR's on squat with ease and no knee pain, better mobility and generally more confidence.

So much so that its ****ed my cns.... too much maxing if anything.
Reply 517
Ooh, sounds goods.
Do it properly and I guarantee your lifts will go up. Should expect up to a 20kg ish squat increase without stalling.
Reply 519
Fuarkk , lower back after deads and quads after squats make me cry :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest