DB Bench (paused)
    30kg - 1x13, 1x10, 1x11

BB Row
    70kg - 3x10

Towel Pull-ups
    3x?

Side Raises superset w/ curls
    2x?

Good session. Progress on pretty much everything. Decided to do close-grip bench instead of normal/wide-grip; just to push my triceps more really. Did better than last week when I was using normal grip which I guess is pretty good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, strong squatting Michael. If you keep going like this I'll have to eat my words about squat volume. Nice work
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    Wow, strong squatting Michael. If you keep going like this I'll have to eat my words about squat volume. Nice work
    Thanks.

I think that I could have possibly seen better results if I do Broz-style routine, for example, but I'm not sure how fun that would be for me. As I've said before, I enjoy just really pushing it hard on one big set and killing myself to get the reps.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Squat
    165kg - 1x1

Weak. Left right after that. Felt super annoyed and still feed disappointed with myself. I actually put on 170kg right after and was thinking for a while to go for it as it would be only thing to really cheer me up but I decided against it.

My knees are feeling incredibly ****. Bought the knee sleeves and foam roller but I don't know when they'll come. Hopefully before next squat day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nice and concise writeup there. The 1x1 doesn't add much information though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Nice and concise writeup there. The 1x1 doesn't add much information though.
    It means I worked up to that.

No real point in putting the rest, they are all warm-ups essentially.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bench
    102.5kg - 1x2 PR

Dips
    20kg - 3x6

Shoulder Press
    47.5kg - 3x8

Pull-ups
    Wide: 1x10, 1x7
    Neutral: 1x10, 1x7
    Chins: 1x8, 1x7
    Wide: 1x1

Hammer Curls
    2x?

Tricep Finisher

Very, very good day. Nice change from the crappy squat day. 102.5x2 is a PR really because I've stopped bouncing it at all and doing it a lot stricter than before. Dips felt good and OHP felt good too. Also got 50 reps for pull-ups in less sets than last week so I think I might push it up to 55 reps now or something.

Tricep finisher is from a video I saw of Dave Tate doing it - thought would be fun to try out. You first use a medicine ball on top of the assistance pull-up/dips bit and you do a tricep extension. Going for 100 reps, you can change grips when you fail to just holding on to the platform bit and so on.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift
    185kg - 1x2

Front Squat
    100kg - 3x3

T-Bar Row
    2x?

Back Raises
    20kg - 1x15, 1x13, 1x12

Hmm, kinda annoyed I only got 185x2 again. I was feeling okay today and when I did 160x2 it felt really good/easy so I was quite confident going into it. Need someone to have a look at my deadlift form. Blind Monk has said I do it quite stiff-legged, which I know, but it feels better/makes sense for me to do it that way. Kinda sucks having a partner who is weaker than you 'cause they can't exactly tell you what you're doing wrong.

Tried to make up for it by going 100 for 3x3 on front squats. Quite tough really, on FS I've been going pretty much as low as I can as it feels better that way. Plus, I don't ATG squat so possibly some benefits of doing ATG on front squat - I dunno.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should ATG squat man.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    You should ATG squat man.
    Why?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    Why?
    Why not?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol its just a personal opinion. I have found squatting atg better and feels more natural for me anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    On squats I've tried it before and I'm not a fan. On front squats it feels a lot more natural though, so I'll stick to that for them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    OHP
    62.5kg - 1x2 PR

Close-grip Bench
    70kg - 1x12, 2x10

DB Bench
    32kg - 3x9

BB Row
    70kg - 3x12

Side Raises superset w/ hammer curls
    2x?

Pretty happy with 62.5x2. Finally getting my OHP to half-decent levels although still quite a bit away from my bench. Little disappointed at close-grip bench, last week I got 12,11,11 and today only 12,10,10. Not sure why, just felt like I couldn't do it. Raised the weight on DB bench though and got quite a good 3x9 which I'm pretty happy about. BB rows were pretty good too, little momentum here and there but I don't think anything too bad that I need to stop doing it that way or anything.

Finished it off with some side raises and hammer curls. Just going for a pump and pretty much going to failure on them.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good job michael . Congrats on another PR!
    what's your plan during the meet... will you start with squats ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Good job michael . Congrats on another PR!
    what's your plan during the meet... will you start with squats ?
    To be honest I'll probably only max on squats.

Possibly bench or deadlift as well, but doubt I'd max on all 3.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Squat
    170kg - 1x1 PR
    175kg - 1xf

Pretty happy to hit 170. I think it was pretty hard but that I had a little more in me. Went for 175kg but it wasn't gonna happen. I think that if I did 175 instead of 170 I may have got it but I didn't think I had 175 at all until I did 170 and it felt fairly good. Still, not gonna worry about that as it's a great PR and I'm really pleased with it.

Messed around afterwards with some sumo deadlifts. I think it might work for me but I can't be sure. I did 150kg for a single and it was tough-ish and then 160kg wasn't even getting off the floor. However, this was after like 3 hours at the gym and I had eaten like 5-6 hours before that AND did a squat PR so I'm not too worried.

Will try messing around with sumo in the future though and see how it feels. I think I got the technique alright so just need to do it on a better day when I'm more rested.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    170 is damn nice. Vid?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    also was this the london brahs meet ? any vids in general?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This was at the meet. I will have the vids up in a few days. I don't have the correct adaptor for my camera at home.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 20, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.