The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
When was the last time you maxed on bench? I seem to remember you coming off Madcow's and getting 110 or so close grip?
Reply 741
Original post by Mdawg
When was the last time you maxed on bench? I seem to remember you coming off Madcow's and getting 110 or so close grip?

Far from. When I did Madcow's I probably had like a 90kg bench.

I haven't maxed in quite a while to be honest. If all goes well I will do so this cycle. However, it's unfortunate that this cycle is also when I'll be having exams or quite close to them so I don't know if it'll happen for sure.

I'm thinking I have 115kg in me, wide grip.
Reply 742
ME Bench

Medium Grip Slingshot Bench
105kg - 1x7 PR

OHP
50kg - 2x5

Chin-ups
BW - 2x8, 1x7, 1x6

T-Bar ups
BW - 2x4

DB Extensions
10kg - 2x12, 1x10

Shoulder Prehab

Had to skip past two sessions due to being busy with some internship. Got back in today but my bench didn't feel great. May get a video up of it. My setup is good initially but it starts to break down on reps. I didn't expect to get 7 either to be fair. I think for singles should be good though which is what really matters but obviously sucks I fail at anything more than like a triple.

Shoulders didn't feel great. I hit 50kg for 2x5 fairly decently and I was gonna push press some heavy-ish doubles/triples but I decided against it.
[video="youtube;QJ5WVc725v4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5WVc725v4&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Reply 744
Thank you good Sir.
Reply 745
That's a funny looking piece of equipment. Never seen this slingshot thing before.

You bench below your chest?
Reply 746
Looks so fail though. Seems like I could have done another few reps. Just like dropped it. =/
Reply 747
Forms not the best. But hey its a good weight for reps.

One question. Do you find your bench better with your feet that far back and not having them flat on the floor? Looks a bit shaky.
Reply 748
Yes. Although I've never done feet flat apart from maybe when I did 50kg back in the day.

I can get some good leg drive doing it this way.

First few reps look good though so that's nice. In the end only need a good single for a competition.
Reply 749
Fair enough :smile:

You wanting to compete at some point? When?
Reply 750
Possibly this Summer if I can find anywhere.
Do you think the slingshot has strong carry-over to raw benching?
Original post by Michael XYZ

There's a meet at bethnal green at some point either in the summer or very early on into the year. I am interested in competing, especially if the Physical Culture crew are going.

Original post by GQ.
One question. Do you find your bench better with your feet that far back and not having them flat on the floor? Looks a bit shaky.

It's very, very difficult to bench properly on that bench. It's a piece of **** because the top of the bench near the uprights is too narrow and that entire area of the gym has a slippery floor. So instability on two fronts. He's not doing a bad job considering that.
Strong stuff. Gutsy last rep. Though after first rep looks like your shoulders pop out during the completion of each rep. E.g. look at rep at 10 seconds, the completion of that rep the delts seem to come up if you get what I mean.

How are you finding slingshot on shoulders? I find it pulls elbows in, and hence shoulders in too, which I find uncomfortable at limit weight because I find it hard to fight the position.
Depends on where your personal sticking point is relative to where the assistance is given - which depends on your torso size, but mainly grip width and if you're flared.

Generally the assistance is great at the bottom but cuts at about 4-6" up so if thats a dead zone for you, then yes potentially a good training tool.

Original post by Smack
Do you think the slingshot has strong carry-over to raw benching?
Reply 755
Original post by Michael XYZ

Just so you know, googling seems to reveal that both the BDFPA and GBPF need you to have flat feet during the bench. Might be something you want to practise/get used to if you're going to compete.
Reply 756
That's unfortunate but, yes, I'd practice after exams and see what there is available.

Yes I think my shoulders do come forward unfortunately. Something I'm trying to learn and I do try get them back after every rep as you may be able to tell but you're right.

As Monk said, the bench sucks balls unfortunately. My form isn't amazing but it's not helped by that.
Reply 757
DE Squat/Deadlift

Squat
100kg - 6x2
110kg - 9x2
130kg - 1x1
140kg - 1x1
150kg - 1x1
160kg - 1x1

Deadlift
125kg - 8x1

Close-stance GM
82.5kg - 3x12

DB Swings
17.5kg - 2x15

Leg Extension
65 - 3x14

Cable Abs
75 - 2x15

Plank
1x58 seconds

Hanging Leg Raises
BW - 2x10

Grip Work

Very good session today. Bar speed felt very quick and I decided to work up to 160kg just because I missed ME squat so that kind of makes up for it in a way. Deadlifts were also pretty good. Unfortunately didn't get to box jump as the room with the mats I jump on was painted recently.

GMs also felt, again, very difficult but quite nice. Decided to try some DB swings and record it properly. Fairly hard - not sure how well I'm doing them or whether I should push myself more etc. but it's okay for now. Then some leg extensions and abs. Trying to hit two things at once by doing things like hanging leg raises for grip and abs. Also did some DB side bends too with heavy dumbbells (w/ fat handles) and some plate pinches.
Reply 758
Exam-season training

Deadlift
180kg - 1x4

OHP
50kg - 3x6

Oly Squat
100kg - 3x8

Flat DB Bench
34kg - 2x10

Pendlay Row
75kg - 3x10

EZ Curls
40kg - 2x5

Shoulder/Pec Prehab

So I decided to start this exam-season training this week instead of next week. I'm following something Jim Wendler has wrote about before which is doing one day Deadlift + Press and the other day Squat + Bench and then any assistance work.

Will be doing this for 4 weeks and then by then will have done all but one exam but I'll have ages for that so I'll jump back on conjugate method. It's not bad, I mean, I shouldn't really lose any strength if I push myself enough and might even gain in some lifts.

So the deadlift was rather difficult. Bit of a grinder right at the end but not horribly difficult. Fairly pleased I suppose. Then did OHP - quite happy with it actually. I know it's pretty damn weak but it's progress (I believe!). Then just assistance work. Wanted to do some leg work so Oly Squat seemed suitable - easy reps just some light leg work. Then DB Bench was quite a pusher and some Pendlay Rows to hit my back. Felt good. Not PERFECT form but fairly strict I'd say. Obviously had to finish it up with some last minute curls. :wink:

So I'll be doing Squat + Bench + assistance in a few days. I think for Squat I'll hit a RM on maybe pause squats or whatever and then Bench probably do something like 3x5 (or so) just to get some more volume in considering I'm only benching once a week.
Reply 759
Pause Squat
160kg - 1x3 PR

Wide-grip Bench
100kg - 1x4

Wide Pull-ups
BW - 3x6

Incline DB Bench
24kg - 1x12, 1x8

Romanian Deadlift
110kg - 1x12

Sit-ups
5kg - 2x12

Well I'm quite pleased with 160kg x 3 on pause squats and I'm fairly sure that's a PR too. From then on it was just downhill though. Gym was PACKED and many idiots around. I wanted to bench after but there were just groups of 5 constantly using it. Got it in the end but I just rushed it as didn't have much time so my form was pathetic. 100x4 on wide-grip is pretty poor. It was all muscled up really, after the first rep everything went to **** and I had zero tension. I suspect these few weeks will be bad for my bench press.

Then just did some assistance work. Again, quite light although felt heavy to be honest. Just didn't have much drive in me today; was rather tired but that's no excuse really. Things just took longer than I thought so the assistance work was all done very quickly.

Also realised today that Monk is a WSB hater. As the old saying goes, "haters gon' hate".

Quick Reply