The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

It's just to constantly practise and master how you would bench in competition. Reps on paused bench seems more logical for a powerlifter.
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
It's just to constantly practise and master how you would bench in competition. Reps on paused bench seems more logical for a powerlifter.

Yes I agree but I think rotating between touch and go and paused is fine and it's good to have a little variety in there.
Press

OHP
60x5 @7.5
62.5x5 @9.5
62.5x5 @9.5
62.5x5 @10

Close-Grip Pause Bench
105x3 @7.5
107.5x3 @8.5
107.5x3 @8.5
107.5x3 @9

Dips
32kg - 3x8

Face Pulls // Cable Side Raise
21kg - 3x12 // 6kg - 3x8

DB Curl
14kg - 3x10

Made the first set of 62.5x5 harder than it needed to be as my form on the last rep was quite bad which is why it was a 9.5, should have been a 9. Felt good on this day though and getting used to more volume.
Bench

Bench
110x3 @8
110x3 @8
112.5x3 @8.5
112.5x3 @9

Close-Grip Incline Bench
70x6 @9
65x6 @8
65x6 @9

Ring Pull-Ups
BW - 40 reps @ 5 sets

1-arm DB Curl
10kg - 3x9

Pretty pleased with benching today. It's nice not psyching up and being somewhat calm and still hitting good numbers/previous PRs. Definitely enjoying this style of training. On incline I can do more but I am also using RPE to gauge if form breaks down. I can do more reps if I start using a bit too much leg drive or bounce but then that would be inconsistent.

On the injury side, I'm going to take some time off legs completely. Was warming up yesterday on squats and felt a bit of pain which is very annoying. I stopped it there. Seeing a different physio next week who has worked with athletes before and hopefully can come up with a good plan of action.
Press

OHP
60x4 @7
62.5x4 @8.5
65x4 @9
65x4 @10

Close-Grip 1s Pause Bench
100x5 @7
102.5x5 @8
105x5 @9.5
105x5 @10

Dips
32kg - 3x9

21kg - 3x12 // 6kg - 3x8

DB Curls
14kg - 3x10

Felt a bit weak on OHP today. Weight felt rather heavy in my hands and didn't have great bar speed. Still, this is why this training is good because it still means I get the work in regardless. Benching was a lot better though and I felt quite strong.
Bench

Bench
100x4 @7
107.5x4 @8.5
112.5x4 @9.5
112.5x4 @9.5
112.5x4 @10

Close-Grip Incline Bench
67.5x7 @8.5
62.5x7 @8.5
62.5x7 @8.5
62.5x7 @9

Wide Pull-Ups
BW - 40 reps @ 5 sets

1-Arm DB Curl
10kg - 3x10

Felt good benching today. Left shoulder had some niggling dull pain but hopefully nothing major. Also tried squatting 50kg for a few reps and there was no pain so the rest is helping. Seeing physio tomorrow and hopefully get back to squatting some real weight soon.
Curious to see what the physio says regarding glute/back pain situation.
Original post by The Blind Monk
Curious to see what the physio says regarding glute/back pain situation.

Just came back from the visit.

She didn't exactly tell me what she thought it was but she ruled out anything serious (SI Joint, disc stuff, etc.). She said my left glute (where the pain is) fires a little worse/bit less control than on the right but that my control and firing is good overall.

Annoyingly I did squat 50kg the other day without pain because I've been resting it. Now, obviously that's actually a good thing but annoying because I think if I had the pain it'd be much easier for her to tell me what's up. 50kg is all and well but if it returns when I'm doing real work sets then that sucks.

She gave me 3 exercises to do that deal with glute firing and control. Said I should also do some hip flexor stretches. I've been reading some more KStarr and did some hip openers (brutal) which seem good and can't be bad.

So, yes. I can't help but feel I'd have none of this if I just rested a week or two when I first felt the problem months ago. Or maybe not have re-injured it doing the competition. Oh well, live and learn.
Deadlift

Squat
80kg - 1x5
90kg - 1x5
100kg - 1x5

Sumo
100kg - 1x3
120kg - 1x3
140kg - 1x3

Conventional
100kg - 2x3

Machine Row
77.5kg - 3x10 (neutral)
31kg - 3x10 (one-arm, underhand)

Abs

Very happy! No pain whatsoever. Now I just have to be cautious and not get ahead of myself with increasing the weights too quickly. I think another 2-4 weeks before I start pushing it. Really hope it doesn't come back when things get heavier though - fingers crossed!
Glad to hear it's nothing serious!
Physios baffle me with their knowledge of the musculoskeletal system. I was completely ignorant of their practise until recently.
Good idea to take it easy for a few weeks, better than pushing it and finding yourself injured again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Press

BTN Push Press
70kg - 2x1
70kg - 1x3
75kg - 1x3

Close-Grip 1s Pause Bench
100x2 @7
105x2 @7
110x2 @8
115x2 @9
115x2 @9.5
115x2 @9.5
117.5x2 @10
115x2 @10

Dips
32kg - 10, 10, 8

23kg - 3x8 // 6kg - 3x9

DB Curl
16kg - 3x8

I wanted to incorporate some push pressing and never tried BTN so thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, quickly realised why I stopped doing push pressing in the past - knee pain! Before, I was also squatting heavy so I thought it may be a combination but even now my knees are fine and not really been stressed much and yet still felt some niggles/pain just below my right kneecap. Also, BTN is cool but felt a bit too dangerous - hit my neck most of the time but if it went too far back then it would be quite serious. Don't think I'll bother unless I can figure out the problem and even then would do from the front.

Benching was good but annoying because I was training alone. Asked for a lift-off for some of those sets but gym was fairly empty/no strong people. Tough to unrack, especially close-grip, but it wasn't too bad. Makes it harder though, but I think most of my benching will be like this for the next month or two until exams finish.
How come your close grip paused bench is so close to your normal bench?
Original post by Jtking3000
How come your close grip paused bench is so close to your normal bench?

I don't think it's that close? 117.5x2 was @10 (max). I'll be doing doubles next session, maybe, with normal bench. I'm sure I can do quite a bit more. Only problem will be that it only gets harder unracking heavier weight and that really kinda ****s up form.
Original post by Michael XYZ
I don't think it's that close? 117.5x2 was @10 (max). I'll be doing doubles next session, maybe, with normal bench. I'm sure I can do quite a bit more. Only problem will be that it only gets harder unracking heavier weight and that really kinda ****s up form.

3 days ago on your blog you did 112.5*4 @ 9.5 (and said that was a good day) so that's like a 5kg difference in 1rm presumably? I would've thought that a pause and adding a close grip would take away a bit more than that.
Pretty strong !! Keep it up :smile:
Original post by Jtking3000
3 days ago on your blog you did 112.5*4 @ 9.5 (and said that was a good day) so that's like a 5kg difference in 1rm presumably? I would've thought that a pause and adding a close grip would take away a bit more than that.

Hmm, it's a good point. I don't know really, 4 reps is twice as many as 2 reps (lol) so that's quite a difference in terms of only staying tight for 2 reps and things like that.

All I can do is hit doubles on normal bench and see the difference. If it's pretty close, then I'll have a think about what that means my weaknesses are and what to do. I did notice this too but I didn't think much of it, I'd have to also see other people and if this is rare or not.
Squat

Squat
80kg - 1x5
100kg - 1x5
120kg - 1x3
80kg - 2x8 (high-bar)

Deadlift
120kg - 2x3

RDL
80kg - 3x8

Ab Roller
BW - 3x6

Not much to say. Still no pain although I think a narrow stance isn't smart to employ for a while. Might just be imaginary fatigue but doing some conventional pulls my left glute/lower back (injured area) did feel more fatigued. No pain but I didn't try go higher than 120 and risk feeling any pain. Did some banded RDLs to try make top harder/force glutes to work harder. Felt okay as a movement, will try a few more times to see if it's worth keeping.
Bench

Bench
100x2 @7
110x2 @7
115x2 @8.5
120x2 @9.5
120x2 @9.5
122.5x2 @10
120x2 @10

Close-Grip Incline Bench
60x3 @7
72.5x3 @9
70x3 @9
70x3 @9
70x3 @9
70x3 @9.5

Wide Pull-Ups
BW - 40 reps @ 5 sets

1-Arm DB Curl
10kg - 3x10

Not a bad day but definitely not a great one either. Benching felt quite weird. My form just didn't feel right today for some reason and also didn't feel very powerful either. Still, 122.5x2 isn't bad at all but everything felt like a grind even if it wasn't necessarily hard. Incline bench was rather poor. I wanted to hit a 5 rep set @9-9.5 and went for 72.5 and got it for 3 and it was just far harder than it should have been. Just didn't feel strong for it. Did triples on 70 and left it.
With exams soon, gonna be training 3x/week for a bit and then probably only average 2x/week near the end of this month when I actually have exams. The plan is to do:

Monday: Prime Squat, Secondary Bench Main, Secondary Bench Supplement
Wednesday: Prime Bench Main, Prime Deadlift, Prime Bench Supplement, Squat Supplement
Friday: Secondary Squat, Prime Bench Assist, Deadlift Supplement

Not picked the exact movements yet but considering I'm still going fairly light on squat/deadlift, it just means focusing on bench with some lower body which shouldn't be too taxing. Even if I can only go twice a week it's not terrible as it'll be full body and all I need to do is really bench enough to maintain/increase my strength on that.
Competition Bench
100x3 @7
105x3 @7.5
112.5x3 @8
115x3 @9
110x3 @9

Sumo Deadlift
180kg - 3x3

BTN Press
50x5 @8
50x5 @8
50x5 @8
55x4 @9.5

Front Squat
100kg - 3x3

Machine Row
80kg - 3x8

Felt fairly good today. No pain from front squats or sumo which is very positive. I'm trying out BTN press. No real reason aside from wanting to just change it up a little and a recommendation from a friend. It definitely felt tough though. Will try them for a while and see how I like it.

Quick Reply

Latest