The Student Room Group

Can someone explain what a meritocracy is?

I'm reading several different things but still confused. The assignment I did on this question was crap, and I still obviously am unclear what it is.
How you would, for instance, answer "examine the view that britain is a meritocracy, with education performance primarily the result of effort".
Basically, it's the idea that if people are given equal opportunity to do something (like acheive in the education system) then in a competitive system personal effort / merit is the key criterion for "success".

This is actually a good question to get because once you've outlined what meritocracy means / involves you can through the kitchen sink at it in perspective terms (basically you;ve have Fuctionalists lined-up as pro-meritocracy and all the reat saying why we don;t live in a meritocratic society). e.g. you could question whether we live in a meritocracy from a huge range of viewpoints.
What very few people know is that the coiner of the term meritocracy intended it as pejorative. Michael Young was trying to write a dystopian '1984' type novel about a society in which you had to collect pieces of paper to get on.

But his book was received by some at face value and he got made a life peer.

Anyway, put this in your paper, because your teacher likely doesn't know it.
Original post by akemikat
I'm reading several different things but still confused. The assignment I did on this question was crap, and I still obviously am unclear what it is.
How you would, for instance, answer "examine the view that britain is a meritocracy, with education performance primarily the result of effort".

It basically means we live in a society where we can be socially mobile (change class) :smile: Society is based on achieved status I.E working hard in education etc rather than ascribed status, which is through your family. So we all get an equal chance.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending