The Student Room Group

Psychology 3rd year Research Project

I'm worried about the prospect of having to undertake this,

Could the community inform me of their experiences of conducting their final year project please:

*What did you do (research question)?
*Did you find the task daunting (was it as daunting as you first imagined)?
*How stressful was it
*Did you get the appropriate guidence from you supervisior?
*How hard did you find it
*Did you enjoy conducting it, or did you wish it could be finished?
*Was you happy with your final result?
*What advice would you give for someone in their second year?

Many thanks
*What did you do (research question)? Not disclosing here.

*Did you find the task daunting (was it as daunting as you first imagined)? Not really.

*How stressful was it? Fairly. Lots of time in the lab. I had other pieces of coursework due which added to the stress.

*Did you get the appropriate guidence from you supervisior? Yes. I had a good relationship with my supervisor.

*How hard did you find it? Not very.

*Did you enjoy conducting it, or did you wish it could be finished? Didn't particularly enjoy it.

*Was you happy with your final result? Haven't had it yet.

*What advice would you give for someone in their second year? Be organised. Get your data ASAP. Run as many ideas past your supervisor as possible.
Original post by ultimate mashup
I'm worried about the prospect of having to undertake this,

Could the community inform me of their experiences of conducting their final year project please:

*What did you do (research question)?
*Did you find the task daunting (was it as daunting as you first imagined)?
*How stressful was it
*Did you get the appropriate guidence from you supervisior?
*How hard did you find it
*Did you enjoy conducting it, or did you wish it could be finished?
*Was you happy with your final result?
*What advice would you give for someone in their second year?

Many thanks

*What did you do (research question)? It was in the area of language, that's all I will say.

*Did you find the task daunting (was it as daunting as you first imagined)? Not particularly. Once you know what you're doing- and if it is decent- you should have knowledge of the area and there should be a wide enough literature out there for you just to get on with it

*How stressful was it? Once you know what you're doing, it's fine. The time doing testing is boring more than anything, though setting everything up can be time consuming (depending on the nature of your experiment, that is). Getting people to turn up can put you on edge, however!

*Did you get the appropriate guidence from you supervisior? Yes. He was encouraging and genuinely interested in my project.

*How hard did you find it? Not very. It is more time-consuming and involving in that you need to know your stuff, rather than it being difficult

*Did you enjoy conducting it, or did you wish it could be finished? I ended up with last choice for supervisor, but it turned out OK in the end and my area of research was interesting [to me]. As above, collecting the data was boring, as was the analysis. Jesus so many numbers :rolleyes:

*Was you happy with your final result? I think it went well, and from some small hints from my supervisor I seem to have done well, however I don't know my actual mark yet

*What advice would you give for someone in their second year? Explore something that interests you, and, as the above poster has said, run through lots of ideas with your supervisor; it may be that you have something good in there that just needs some discussion. Plan ahead and know the literature back to front
Reply 3
Just want to bump this thread to get more opinions as I'm also nervous about doing my dissertation next year.

Can I ask what kind of experimental design did you run?
Did anyone do actual experiments (as opposed to questionnaires) and if so do you have any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending