Government and Politics Unit 2 Edexcel - 7th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Junaid16
Do you have an Edexcel text book, loads of examples there :yep:

Nooo, I'm afraid not, everyone took it out the library before I got there. :/
Original post by catty_MERTON

guys i need one serious suggestion! i have revised parliament and constitution so far and not even touched prime minister our college only does 3!

is it wise to go into the exam with the ones i have revised or should i do prime minister as i am running out time nw????

it seems like parliament and constitution are always intwo different sections plzzzz help

Go over PM and Cabinet briefly at least - revise questions like is the PM becoming presidential / has the PM's power increased in recent years (as well as whatever else you can), cos you can't guarantee your subjects won't come up in the same section. ^^ They tend to be the essay questions.
Original post by Lauraaa12

It's hard to say then :confused: Maybe just go on tutor2u.net.
guys i need one serious suggestion! i have revised parliament and constitution so far and not even touched prime minister our college only does 3!

is it wise to go into the exam with the ones i have revised or should i do prime minister as i am running out time nw????

it seems like parliament and constitution are always intwo different sections plzzzz help

I've only revised 2 of the topics..
Reply 124
Is there only 1 source question or is there 2? I know there are 2 40 mark essays.
2 source questions
Reply 126
Original post by Lauraaa12

They don't have to be really recent, things like Blair's 1997 reforms and the Constitutional Reform Act 2005 will do.
Reply 127
Only briefly read the comments here- but if presidential PM comes up, that's the giftiest gift of a gift ever gifted to gift loving people.

In reality they could throw massive curveballs in either executive OR parliament... so don't hold your breath, for example:

Exec- Is cabinet relevant to today's government/ is cabinet government dead (likely)/ is the PM a president (also likely)/ is it true to say we have a collective executive/ what are the restraints on the power of the prime minister (also also likely). If it's 25 could also be functions of cabinet/ functions of PM and all of the above.

For Parliament, there is a hell of a lot- my personal feeling is to what extent are backbenchers relevant/ is Parliament a relevant institution/ Lords reform... my gut feeling is definately Lords reform due to its relevance in the last year and a half (since paper was set- consensus from all 3 parties).

Will be interesting though... I loved democ on unit 1 and was forced into doing elections as i felt parties was yucky and too similar 10 and 25's... so hopefully done all right.

Although definately not in the right frame of mind for this one....
Good luck all anyway :smile:
Reply 128
Original post by Kellettwm
is Parliament a relevant institution
what on earth would you write for that :confused:
Reply 129
Original post by Tpos
what on earth would you write for that :confused:

Personally, I would take a whopping great deep breath, curse edexcel and then go:

Yes: 1) Succesfully completes its role as the legislature- 95% of bills are passed and there is little gridlock unlike in other governmental systems. (Counter: Lord Hailsham's executive dominance theory- in reality the PM and cabinet can simply create legislation which they want to and can be undemocratic- no system as in America to prevent abuse of power due to principle of parliamentary soveringty).
2) Extremely relevant as it acts as the link between the government and the people- Direct Democ in the Athenian sense is not feasible in today's society, our rep dem works (Counter: 25k march against tuition fees in nov 2010 and 1 mill march against iraq in 2003 suggest otherwise).
3) Lords performs its functions extremely well- acts as a body of scrutiny and makes sure lesgislation is "better".

Then would go on to say it depends what you mean by "relevant"- as in, is it relevant to the electorate- most definately, MP's spend 2-3 days a week answering requests and there primary role is to voice constituents views. But relevant in terms of "as much as it used to be" perhaps not, as it appears there has been in a decline in parliament's independence with the growth in PM power.

Something like that- hope that helps :smile:
Reply 130
is it true to say we have a collective executive

I would be fine with basically any questions you posted, except that one. What's a collective executive?
Reply 131
Original post by Plonk
I would be fine with basically any questions you posted, except that one. What's a collective executive?

Yeah, that's the most horrible question I think they could ask (though tbh they probably wouldn't ask it :smile:)

Collective executive is the idea that it's too simplistic to say that power lies with the PM or cabinet, but that they are part of a wider system of a government network where basically power is diffused- the power of the executive thus depends on the strength of the relationships between the PM, whitehall (civil service and advisory bodies) cabinet and parliament.

On second thought, they no way in hell would ask that :L
Reply 132
Personally, I would take a whopping great deep breath, curse edexcel and then go:

Something like that- hope that helps :smile:

lol!

and yep it did help, thanks :smile:
wht the hell...i dont think parliament and constitution will be in same section...maybe constitution and judiciary and parliament and cabinet
Reply 134
Yeah, that's the most horrible question I think they could ask (though tbh they probably wouldn't ask it :smile:)

Collective executive is the idea that it's too simplistic to say that power lies with the PM or cabinet, but that they are part of a wider system of a government network where basically power is diffused- the power of the executive thus depends on the strength of the relationships between the PM, whitehall (civil service and advisory bodies) cabinet and parliament.

I never heard of that and I've read all 300 odd pages of the Edexcel book...
Reply 135
Yup, neither have I. 'Collective executive' doesn't seem to be a term here :s
Are u sure u dnt mean 'collective responsibilty'?
Reply 136

Ah, I know the theory, but by the term of "Core Executive Theory". I've mentioned it before in essays and it's something nice to drop in at the end.

Original post by yali31
Yup, neither have I. 'Collective executive' doesn't seem to be a term here :s
Are u sure u dnt mean 'collective responsibilty'?

Nope, it is a real theory, also known as core executive theory.
Reply 137
:eek: I've been focussing on my other exam which is on the same day and decided to leave this till tomorrow - I think I'm gonna be overwhelmed by the amount of info I need to go over
Reply 138
Original post by Tpos
:eek: I've been focussing on my other exam which is on the same day and decided to leave this till tomorrow - I think I'm gonna be overwhelmed by the amount of info I need to go over
I'm in the same boat :frown: I'm an A2 student and retaking it so the last time I actually studied it was this time last year! I've just been focussing on my A2 exams. I'm quite confident with PM and Constitution but knowing my crappy luck, they'll be in the same section D< We had a really crap teacher last year for the Judiciary and so my notes on it are extremely thin :frown: But apparently it's the easiest topic so hopefully I'll be fine xP Not gonna bother with Parliament.

Does anyone know if we have to revise anything recent for the Judiciary? Like I said, the last time I studied it was last year. Thank you in advanceeee!
Reply 139
Original post by Shkilla
I'm in the same boat :frown: I'm an A2 student and retaking it so the last time I actually studied it was this time last year! I've just been focussing on my A2 exams. I'm quite confident with PM and Constitution but knowing my crappy luck, they'll be in the same section D< We had a really crap teacher last year for the Judiciary and so my notes on it are extremely thin :frown: But apparently it's the easiest topic so hopefully I'll be fine xP Not gonna bother with Parliament.

Does anyone know if we have to revise anything recent for the Judiciary? Like I said, the last time I studied it was last year. Thank you in advanceeee!

How would they ask about PM and the constitution in the same question?

It wouldn't hurt, and something worth mentioning for judicial independence is MP's using Parliamentary privilege to break super-injunctions granted by the courts and it's impact on judicial independence. That's the most recent example I can think of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending