The Student Room Group

Government and Politics Unit 2 Edexcel - 7th June 2011

This poll is closed

Difficulty level of Edexcel's G&P Unit 2 exam?

VERY EASY, a joke quite frankly 3%
EASY, nicest paper written 5%
FAIR, a few odd questions but overall good 31%
CHALLENGING, tougher than expected but manageable 41%
VERY HARD, disgusting paper19%
Total votes: 58
Couldn't find a thread for "Government and Politics Unit 2: Governing the UK".

So here we are! Are we confident? Still a bit of time left luckily...
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Honestly?

I'm bricking it...it's going to be a challenge remembering everything in time.

Wbu?
Reply 2
The combination of remembering stuff, and being able to write essays in a short space of time isn't great.

Then again as we get a choice of questions, maybe it won't be so bad.
Reply 3
I haven't started revising yet, been panicking over Unit 1 and my other exams first. I'm predicting a Source Question for the Judiciary and the Constitution and essay questions for Parliament and PM and Cabinet.

Anybody else agree?
Reply 4
Original post by Gromit94

I haven't started revising yet, been panicking over Unit 1 and my other exams first. I'm predicting a Source Question for the Judiciary and the Constitution and essay questions for Parliament and PM and Cabinet.

Anybody else agree?

You can't really predict, but...

Parliament - Four data response, only one essay so far

Exectutive - Three data response, two essays

Judiciary - One data response, four essay

Constitution - Two data response, three essay

So yeah your predictions would match up with balancing the numbers. But then again they haven't really balanced things up to now!

I wonder if they just randomly (literally a dice, or some machine) decide which to do.
Reply 5
that was how I worked it out too :smile:

Maybe they roll a dice, or maybe they like certain questions in certain places! :P
If anything, the 40-marker's going to be on:
- The PM, Cabinet & Executive
- Parliament

I only say that because The Constitution and Judiciary were the 40-mark questions in the January Unit 2 exam.

Has anyone got any 40-mark past paper questions on the Executive or Parliament? :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by lace-rules

IHas anyone got any 40-mark past paper questions on the Executive or Parliament? :biggrin:

June 2010: To what extent does Parliament control executive power?

Specimen: Have UK Prime Ministers become more 'presidential' in recent years?
Jan 2010: To what extent does the prime minister dominate the political system in the UK?
Original post by fluteflute
June 2010: To what extent does Parliament control executive power?

Specimen: Have UK Prime Ministers become more 'presidential' in recent years?
Jan 2010: To what extent does the prime minister dominate the political system in the UK?

Ahh cheers for that! :wink:

Btw, how are you guys revisin' for polly?

Are you just doing mass past paper questions, or is there another, more effective way of revising?

:rolleyes:
Reply 9
Has anyone got any 40-mark past paper questions on the Executive or Parliament? :biggrin:

My teacher thinks the question: 'Is the PM becoming more like a President?' is likely :smile:
Reply 10
Oh and I'm revising by writing out lists of each possible essay topic. So far I've got about 18 for 7 topics, am not revising Party Policies and Ideas, and I'm struggling to get through it all in less than an hour! I suppose I should be doing practise papers but I'm feeling fairly confident that my spontaneous essay will be detailed enough :smile:
I havent started, due to focusing on other exams. ): Will start after wednesday though. Not trying to brag by saying this (just stating why), I somehow mananged 100/100 UMS in unit 1 so I've got a little complacent with politics.... but i only got that cause I put the work in. meh.

I revise by writing notes and learning them. Sounds boring and it is, but done properly, it works, as unit 1 result shows.
My teacher thinks the question: 'Is the PM becoming more like a President?' is likely :smile:

haha..hi5 me Gromit! :wink:

If this is right, I'll buy you a drink when I'm in Bristol!

Oh and I'm revising by writing out lists of each possible essay topic. So far I've got about 18 for 7 topics, am not revising Party Policies and Ideas, and I'm struggling to get through it all in less than an hour! I suppose I should be doing practise papers but I'm feeling fairly confident that my spontaneous essay will be detailed enough :smile:

Same here, I just been make notes breaking down EVERYTHING for every topic. Then from these notes I'm going to do essay plans, and then write essays.

I'm just praying to the big man upstairs that this all pays off!!
Reply 13
Same here, I just been make notes breaking down EVERYTHING for every topic. Then from these notes I'm going to do essay plans, and then write essays.

I've been comparing these lists with the past questions and figure which questions have never come up, and which questions have come up more than once.

So I'm hoping for a question on Liberal Democracies for Unit 1 and the advantages of referendums,
Questions of AV and the failing of FPTP for Unit 3,
and sadly my system doesn't work for pressure groups as every possible question I could think of has already come up!
(edited 12 years ago)
I've been comparing these lists with the past questions and figrun hich questions have never come up, and which questions have come up more than once.

So I'm hoping for a question on Liberal Democracies for Unit 1 and the advantages of referendums,
Questions of AV and the failing of FPTP for Unit 3,
and sadly my system doesn't work for pressure groups as every possible question I could think of has already come up!

LOL...me and you are thinkin on the same wave legnth. Its kinda creepy! :eek:

I was just doing the same thing, and looked at every exam paper from 2008-2011, and Liberal Democracies havent come up once.

Pressure groups is such a mixed bag, that I'm reconsidering my options now! :bawling:
Reply 15
LOL...me and you are thinkin on the same wave legnth. Its kinda creepy! :eek:

I was just doing the same thing, and looked at every exam paper from 2008-2011, and Liberal Democracies havent come up once.

Pressure groups is such a mixed bag, that I'm reconsidering my options now! :bawling:

The 25 mark is bound to be about pressure groups supporting/not supporting democracy though, or maybe about the successes of pressure groups if they were being mean. There aren't any other topics big enough in the pressure group section!

Oh and I didn't realise my typing skills were so awful that I want I meant to say wasn't what I typed before :colondollar:
The 25 mark is bound to be about pressure groups supporting/not supporting democracy though, or maybe about the successes of pressure groups if they were being mean. There aren't any other topics big enough in the pressure group section!

Oh and I didn't realise my typing skills were so awful that I want I meant to say wasn't what I typed before :colondollar:

lol you'd be wrong in thining that. There are actual 4 possibles that could come up in pressure groups this year. They are:

1) To what extent are Pressure Groups different from Political Parties?
2) How have Pressure Groups been growing in importance?
3) Do Pressure Groups serve Democracy?
4) To what extent do Pressure Groups promote Pluralist Democracy?

Sorry to burst your bubble big guy! :frown:
Reply 17
lol you'd be wrong in thining that. There are actual 4 possibles that could come up in pressure groups this year. They are:

1) To what extent are Pressure Groups different from Political Parties?
2) How have Pressure Groups been growing in importance?
3) Do Pressure Groups serve Democracy?
4) To what extent do Pressure Groups promote Pluralist Democracy?

Sorry to burst your bubble big guy! :frown:

The difference between pressure groups and political parties was on the 2011 paper, how have pressure groups been growing in importance was on june 2009, pressure groups supporting democracy and promoting a pluralist democracy was on the Jan 2010, Jan 2009 and June 2010 paper.

And I'm a gal, not a guy :smile:
Reply 18
The difference between pressure groups and political parties was on the 2011 paper, how have pressure groups been growing in importance was on june 2009, pressure groups supporting democracy and promoting a pluralist democracy was on the Jan 2010, Jan 2009 and June 2010 paper.

Thing is, they like asking things that have already come up.

They've asked basically the same question two exams in a row before...

Edit: Not sure why I was neg repped so thought I'd explain...
Jan 2010: 'The advantages of a codified constitution now outweigh its disadvantages'. Discuss. (40)
June 2010: Make out a case against the adoption of a codified constitution for the UK (25)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by fluteflute
Thing is, they like asking things that have already come up.

They've asked basically the same question two exams in a row before...

Yeah that was my original point :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending