The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellie_the_owl
Having it and Lit on the same day is a pain, are you doing love through the ages?

Yeah and I haven't really revised for it yet :s-smilie:.
Original post by Cast.Iron
Yeah and I haven't really revised for it yet :s-smilie:.

Neither have I it'll be fine. I'm going to focus on EU till wednesday after my classics exam and then learn my quotes, you can't really revise for the unseen text and they don't want you to learn love in topics.
Neither have I it'll be fine. I'm going to focus on EU till wednesday after my classics exam and then learn my quotes, you can't really revise for the unseen text and they don't want you to learn love in topics.

You speak words of wisdom :biggrin:.

Luckily, I 'only' need 83% in the exam to get my A*.

You have an exam on Wednesday too? That is brutal.
You speak words of wisdom :biggrin:.

Luckily, I 'only' need 83% in the exam to get my A*.

You have an exam on Wednesday too? That is brutal.

Life is a bit stressful this week an exam everyday till thursday :frown: sigh
Life is a bit stressful this week an exam everyday till thursday :frown: sigh

You have one on Tuesday too :eek:?
You have one on Tuesday too :eek:?

It's just General Studies :P but one of my Unis accepts it.
Reply 26
I'm annoyed that I've only just found this thread today and that great link on the first page...

I was confident about my January exam on UK Politics and came out with a mid-B, I'm much less confident with EU Politics and need a mid-A to get the grade I need for Uni. Screwed.
Does anyone have any good definitions/overview of the theories needed? For example, neo-functionalism, functionalism, intergovernmentalism and supranationalism and the positives/negatives of such theories?

Our Politics teacher has failed to inform us of any theoretical concepts relevant to the study of the EU.

Thanks in advance! xxx
Reply 28
'How important is the role of the EU Court of Justice, and how has it become more important since 1992?'

What points would you guys use for this? I know it is a very simple question but it is these that I am not sure about and the more complicated ones that I am slightly better on :/ dunno bout you guys but me teacher has literally just taught us bullet points without explaining things, barely enough to answer anything.

Also, what effect does the EU have on UK conventions?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
ALSO anyone know any past questions?
Reply 30
Does anyone know the questions that came up in January 2011?
What does everyone think the crucial things to revise are?
What does everyone think the crucial things to revise are?

The institutions and their relation to the democratic deficit.

Enlargement and integration (including the treaties).

CAP, Common Fisheries Policy, Common Defence and Security Policy.

Monetary union and the single market.

The effect on the UK including party opinion and issues of sovereignty.
The institutions and their relation to the democratic deficit.

Enlargement and integration (including the treaties).

CAP, Common Fisheries Policy, Common Defence and Security Policy.

Monetary union and the single market.

The effect on the UK including party opinion and issues of sovereignty.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 34
What questions came up in January!?
Does anyone know what is likely to come up this year? AHHHHH
:confused:
Reply 35
ok this is my main question - what has been done recently to address the democratic deficit?
Reply 36
Original post by WeStartedNothing
Does anyone have any good definitions/overview of the theories needed? For example, neo-functionalism, functionalism, intergovernmentalism and supranationalism and the positives/negatives of such theories?

Our Politics teacher has failed to inform us of any theoretical concepts relevant to the study of the EU.

Thanks in advance! xxx

Not sure on positive or negatives, but here's some brief descriptions:

Functionalism: Rather than self-interest and nation states, there should be a focus on shared interests and 'pooling sovereignty' of states, therefore promoting integration.

Neo-functionalism: Before integration can happen, there should be pre-conditions that change public opinion from nationalism towards co-operation, and that introduce the idea of "sharing" power.

Intergovernmentalism: Member states work together and co-operate, pooling sovereignty and making the decisions. (Council of Ministers/European Union)

Supranationalism: A higher central authority (in this case the EU) has competence and power over member states, being able to impose laws on them.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by philly.tidd
ok this is my main question - what has been done recently to address the democratic deficit?

European Parliament getting more and more powers since the Maastricht Treaty 1991 and co-decision procedure, all the way up to Lisbon Treaty 2007.

More "minutes of meetings" published from Council of Ministers and European Council workings, more accessible information.

Lisbon Treaty emphasised the principle of "subsidiarity" that was introduced in Maastricht - making decisions as close to the people as possible.

Some countries have held referendums on the Euro and Constitution Treaty, and the Conservative party in the UK pledged to hold a referendum on all future treaties in their 2010 manifesto.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head, will update if I can think of more. :smile:
Original post by philly.tidd

I think that the Lisbon Treaty went some way to alleviate the worst symptoms of the democratic deficit.
Reply 39
I think that the Lisbon Treaty went some way to alleviate the worst symptoms of the democratic deficit.

But how would you use this to answer a 45 mark question? obvious points against would be low turnout, unelected commission perhaps... but what else and points for?

Latest

Trending

Trending