The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/Studies Applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pi!
Same here. No idea what I'm going to get predicted.

Either do I, I'm hoping to get predicted AAB but I have a bad feeling it's going to be much lower. :frown:
Scared I haven't got enough stuff to fill out my PS either!
Hey!

I'm applying right now, this UCAS stuff is a pain. I need to write my statement which I'm gonna do sometime next week. Going for Oxford Brookes because I want to stay at home and it's the nearest place to me that is easy & quick to get to. I live in Leamington Spa right now.

As for Japanese I've been using TextFugu for a month now. I do an hour or two of Japanese every day going through my Anki decks and continuing onwards with the TextFugu chapters, I'm on day #39 of Japanese learning according to my calendar. I can read hiragana and katakana quite easily without cheating. I know a lot of kanji radicals and around 30-40 actual kanji with on'yomi/kun'yomi readings so I'm making OK progress for being self-taught! (I hope)

I'm just worried about getting on the course. I don't have a B in GCSE English and I only have 200 UCAS points. I'm classed as a mature student now, but I'm not too sure how much of a difference that will make. I think I might be screwed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Has anyone applied yet? I'm hoping to send mine off before half term :biggrin:
Where do you guys all want to go?
Reply 43
Hi! Was wondering whether this thread was going to return this year :smile:

I have applied to Oxford, Leeds, Sheffield, SOAS and Edinburgh.
Reply 44
Original post by harh
Hi! Was wondering whether this thread was going to return this year :smile:

I have applied to Oxford, Leeds, Sheffield, SOAS and Edinburgh.

Finally another Oxbridger (don't worry my heart is set on Cam :wink: ) Sometimes it gets awfully lonely. I'm sending my UCAS application off on Friday, and I'm absolutely terrified to say the least. Which college are you applying to if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 45
Original post by Rei_Rei
Finally another Oxbridger (don't worry my heart is set on Cam :wink: ) Sometimes it gets awfully lonely. I'm sending my UCAS application off on Friday, and I'm absolutely terrified to say the least. Which college are you applying to if you don't mind me asking?

Hah, indeed! At least the early deadline gets the application out of the way, but I keep thinking that I've missed something. Totally petrified for the interview.

I applied to Queen's, by the way. And yourself?
Reply 46
Original post by harh
Hah, indeed! At least the early deadline gets the application out of the way, but I keep thinking that I've missed something. Totally petrified for the interview.

I applied to Queen's, by the way. And yourself?

That's very true, I can barely focus on my subjects I'm so stressed about applying! I'd like to say I'll be more relaxed after it's sent but I know I'll be f5-ing on track every few minutes. I'm most terrified that they will decide not to ask me about anything on my PS and just quiz me on the Joumon people or something ridiculous instead!

I intend to apply to Trinity but I might back out in fear at the last minute and apply to Queens'/Magdalene instead. Are studying Japanese atm?
Reply 47
Hello, thought I'd revive this thread :smile:

I'm planning to apply for Japanese Language at SOAS, Leeds, Sheffield, and Edinburgh, don't have a 5th choice yet. I applied for Architecture last year but withdrew my offer, it didn't feel like me. I decided to go with my heart and pursue a degree in Japanese!

I have one issue though which leaves me worrying, and it is that I don't have an A level in a language. I took Graphics, Maths, and Computing and gained grades which are above the unis' requirements, however I feel none of them are too relevant (?) Also I did Japanese at GSCE as well as French, which is better than nothing.

I think I'm overreacting but how much do these unis put emphasis on an A level in a language?
Reply 48
Original post by Imi_

I think I'm overreacting but how much do these unis put emphasis on an A level in a language?

Leeds requires you to have a GCSE in a language (C or above) and prefers an A level too, but it is not an absolute requirement. As far as I know Edinburgh does not require a language at A level but requires an A grade in any language at GCSE. Since these are the two I'm applying to I only know about them, someone else will have to help you with the rest :smile:

As they are all ab initio courses the main thing they are looking for is the ability to cope with a demanding subject workload as well as potential to learn a difficult language. But this is just my opinion, others may disagree.
Reply 49
Sorry, I dunno how to quote properly ^^

Yeah, I think most of them like it, but it's not essential, you should be fine if your predicted grades are good :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by Rei_Rei
I intend to apply to Trinity but I might back out in fear at the last minute and apply to Queens'/Magdalene instead. Are studying Japanese atm?

Not in college, but self-taught and through evening classes, etc. :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by harh
Not in college, but self-taught and through evening classes, etc. :smile:

Same, it really is a huge pain trying to find A Level resources for Japanese, I'm mainly using JLPT books atm. I just sent my UCAS off an hour ago, I can't even log into track yet to calm my nerves.
I'm applying for Korean Studies, Japanese Studies and Korean Studies with Japanese at Sheffield, and I'm currently leaning towards the Korean with Japanese, but it's changed several times in the last few months so who knows...
I'm having trouble finding insurance places though because they all seem to have either the same requirements or lower but want a C in a GCSE language (I got a D in German :frown: ). But hopefully I won't have to worry anyway and will got into Sheffield... I hope D:

Original post by Not a Zergling
As for Japanese I've been using TextFugu for a month now.

Oh cool, I've been using that site too. Although I haven't done anything for a couple months because I started checking out Korean and because I was finding it hard going (mainly because I went through far too fast and stuff was piling up before I was completely confident with previous stuff), plus school started again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Hi hi! Joining the bandwagon for Japanese Studies!

I'm applying to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Leeds, SOAS and Sheffield. Unfortunately for Cambridge, I only have predicted As despite getting over 90% in my English Language AS :/

The universities above say it's not essential so long as you have the aptitude for learning the language quickly, but is it really an advantage to have prior knowledge of Japanese and does having heavy exposure to Japanese media count? (I'm not just talking about anime here, guys)
Original post by Quiche
is it really an advantage to have prior knowledge of Japanese and does having heavy exposure to Japanese media count? (I'm not just talking about anime here, guys)

Well I've self taught myself a bit of Japanese and after quite a bit of exposure to the language through anime, music and dramas I found it easier than it likely would have been otherwise. Of course, I'd already managed to work out quite a few words and phrases from stuff like subtitled anime and dramas, but I was also very familiar with the sounds of the language, found it easier to distinguish between words, and noticed some grammatical rules etc.
I didn't have this same luxury beyond two dramas and some music when I tried teaching myself Korean, and I found it much different.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Quiche
Hi hi! Joining the bandwagon for Japanese Studies!

I'm applying to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Leeds, SOAS and Sheffield. Unfortunately for Cambridge, I only have predicted As despite getting over 90% in my English Language AS :/

The universities above say it's not essential so long as you have the aptitude for learning the language quickly, but is it really an advantage to have prior knowledge of Japanese and does having heavy exposure to Japanese media count? (I'm not just talking about anime here, guys)

Yay, another Oxbridger :smile: May I ask which college you are planning to apply to (assuming that you haven't sent your UCAS off yet)? I don't think prior knowledge gives a significant advantage, if you're able to prove that you have enough motivation/ability to learn that'll suffice!
Reply 56
Original post by ZombieYoshi

I didn't have this same luxury beyond two dramas and some music when I tried teaching myself Korean, and I found it much different.

I tried learning Korean but I didn't really have the motivation to get beyond learning to read hangul. All the Korean I know is from watching DBSK videos and dramas (currently addicted to Protect the Boss!)
I've heard that the similarities in syntax and grammar between Japanese and Korean make them a good combination~
Original post by Rei_Rei
I tried learning Korean but I didn't really have the motivation to get beyond learning to read hangul. All the Korean I know is from watching DBSK videos and dramas (currently addicted to Protect the Boss!)
I've heard that the similarities in syntax and grammar between Japanese and Korean make them a good combination~

Yeah, the two are rather similar in some aspects from the very little amount I studied. I was going well with Korean, but then I started having doubts over the value of doing a Korean course and suddenly stopped, and haven't managed to find the motivation to pick it back up now school has started again.
On a slightly unrelated note, the reason I'm not so sure about Japanese is how much I've heard about just how hard it is (or at least the Sheffield course). But when I found out you don't start Japanese until 3rd year in Korean with Japanese I think I've gotten past my dilemma of making a choice between the two, even though this way I won't learn Japanese to a level I would have if I was doing it as a Single, and I won't spend a year there, but I'm more concerned with learning the language than going there really. Then again, there's still the worry I won't be able to cope with both languages after 3rd year and will have to drop Japanese anyway, but we'll pass that hurdle when I (hopefully) get to it.
Reply 58
Original post by ZombieYoshi
Well I've self taught myself a bit of Japanese and after quite a bit of exposure to the language through anime, music and dramas I found it easier than it likely would have been otherwise. Of course, I'd already managed to work out quite a few words and phrases from stuff like subtitled anime and dramas, but I was also very familiar with the sounds of the language, found it easier to distinguish between words, and noticed some grammatical rules etc.

I find that Korean dramas aren't really something I can really immerse myself into like Japanese dramas, but Korean variety shows are a different story :biggrin:
I'm a big fan of JRock (visual kei, particularly) and even that, I feel, has given me the ability to distinguish key words and phrases. It's the same with dramas and anime, although I am only limited to speech patterns and pronunciation :/

Do you recommend any Japanese Language support sites? (This question is open to everyone btw)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Rei_Rei
Yay, another Oxbridger :smile: May I ask which college you are planning to apply to (assuming that you haven't sent your UCAS off yet)? I don't think prior knowledge gives a significant advantage, if you're able to prove that you have enough motivation/ability to learn that'll suffice!

That is a huge relief to know!

I've applied to Selwyn - I've sent my UCAS to my referee already. He's started to send the Oxbridgers' apps off today in my college and he's said he'll send mine off tomorrow *crosses fingers*)

Quick Reply

Latest