The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/Studies Applicants for 2012

Hi people XD :grin:

Just wondering how many more people out there applying for Japanese language/Studies for 2012 - and also which uni's you're planning to apply to.

I'm planning to go for SOAS, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Oxford Brookes - and if I'm correct, the grade boundaries for Oxford Brookes have gone up this year from BBC to BBB for the 2012 applicants...and SOAS is still AAB whereas Manchester, Leeds & Sheffield are ABB???

And also to those who took the AS Japanese Exam this year, how'd you find it???(should have been today for you guys too right???)

Hope to hear from at least...someone???

anyone out there? 0.o'''':confused:

x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not sure whether I'm going to university atm, and if I do decide to, I will be focusing on Korean though if I can, I see no harm in taking Japanese with it.

I don't have an AS in Japanese, though I taught it to myself at GCSE. My college was impressed but unfortunately there was no way for them to accommodate my drive to take it further, so I haven't. But I love it dearly and want to pick it up again, so will probably be applying for it in combination with another language - either Korean or French, though more likely the former 'cause I loves it more c:

As far as universities go, SOAS and Sheffield are on my hit list (imo I'm way too thick for Oxford) though my motivation has been kinda low since I found out they'll both be charging the full £9000 and I have no uni fund, no inheritance, no savings, no nothing. But we'll see. :tongue:
Reply 2
Hi there,

I'm most likely going to be applying for the Modern Language and Business and Management (Japanese) course at Uni of Manchester for entry in Sept. 2012. I have a couple of other degree programs in mind, and I am not sure if this degree would have the best job prospects in the UK, but I really want to learn Japanese.

I'm from the US, so getting a job in the UK after my degree is very important as I would like to stay in the UK.
Reply 3
Hi guys! I was going to start this thread soon. I'm planning on doing Japanese with either Spanish or Linguistics.

I will probably apply to Oxford Brookes , Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and Newcatle, depending on what I get at AS this year.

I am planning on starting to teach myself Japanese during the summer. Does anybody know of any good resources for this, either online or some books?
Reply 4
Hi :smile: I'm planning on applying to SOAS, Birmingham, Sheffield and Manchester for (International) Business (Management) with Japanese. If I go to B'ham though I could do Japanese Spanish and Business, a third each, so it depends on how businessy I want to go :smile:

I did the AS too, found it pretty easy, the translation was the worst party definitely but I managed to get through it. The essay was ok, not sure about the last bullet point though (I understood it but I think I might have been too general). Also I wrote it in polite form when it was a diary entry so I'm not sure if they'll take marks off for that...

Good luck to anyone that did take it :smile:
Reply 5
haha a new thread already? :biggrin:

Let me just tell you guys..for those who ain't got A level/GCSE in Japanese don't need to worry; I hold two offers from SOAS for Japanese& korean and single Japanese. Just make your PS perfect :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by tomxxxo

Original post by tomxxxo

I did the AS too, found it pretty easy, the translation was the worst party definitely but I managed to get through it. The essay was ok, not sure about the last bullet point though (I understood it but I think I might have been too general). Also I wrote it in polite form when it was a diary entry so I'm not sure if they'll take marks off for that...

I wrote too much for my essay - had to write the last part in the space above T.T'''. Also have to agree that the translation was kinda difficult. Did you use up all your time??? and how long have you been studying Japanese for???
Reply 7
Original post by ussumane

Original post by ussumane
I hold two offers from SOAS for Japanese& korean and single Japanese. Just make your PS perfect :wink:

Haven you ever studied Japanese(or Korean) and if so how many years??? (even if you didn't do the AS or GCSE) and did you take a GAP year to do some work experience in it or something???
Reply 8
Original post by myka551
Haven you ever studied Japanese(or Korean) and if so how many years??? (even if you didn't do the AS or GCSE) and did you take a GAP year to do some work experience in it or something???

I did self taught Japanese at the beggining of year 12, but I stopped now because of my exams. I dont know a single word in korean lol, I didnt even mentioned anything about korea on my PS. NO gap yah, never been outside europe.
Reply 9
Original post by myka551
I wrote too much for my essay - had to write the last part in the space above T.T'''. Also have to agree that the translation was kinda difficult. Did you use up all your time??? and how long have you been studying Japanese for???

I don't think they mark anything out of the space given :frown: Not sure though. I had to guess one word in the title, I guessed "opening", seemed to fit in. I had about 5-10 minutes to spare after my essay so I went through and checked twice. I've been studying for about 3 years, taught myself GCSE and got an A* :smile: I reckon I should be better by now though :frown: What about you? :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by tomxxxo

Original post by tomxxxo
I don't think they mark anything out of the space given :frown: Not sure though. I had to guess one word in the title, I guessed "opening", seemed to fit in. I had about 5-10 minutes to spare after my essay so I went through and checked twice. I've been studying for about 3 years, taught myself GCSE and got an A* :smile: I reckon I should be better by now though :frown: What about you? :biggrin:

The Japanese teacher at my school is pretty **** (not even Japanese!!!) and she hasn't had an A-level student in 5 years so that wasn't much help either. When I 'studied' with her, she gave me all these things to translate and when I couldn't read one of the kanji characters and asked about it she said: "I don't know either." I mean seriously WTF? So after 2 terms this year, I decided to try and do a past paper by myself AND I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND A SINGLE THING - so I had to go to my Headmistress in the end and ask for a teacher from out of school to help me...mind you this was about 3 weeks before the exam so I pretty much had a last minute Japanese AS crash course thing T.T'''

Oh and i also got an A* in GCSE as well (hooray! :tongue: - although since I'm an overseas student i usually had to study with my Japanese teacher at home XD, and I could only do that during half-term, easter etc. and stuff)
Reply 11
Original post by myka551
The Japanese teacher at my school is pretty **** (not even Japanese!!!) and she hasn't had an A-level student in 5 years so that wasn't much help either. When I 'studied' with her, she gave me all these things to translate and when I couldn't read one of the kanji characters and asked about it she said: "I don't know either." I mean seriously WTF? So after 2 terms this year, I decided to try and do a past paper by myself AND I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND A SINGLE THING - so I had to go to my Headmistress in the end and ask for a teacher from out of school to help me...mind you this was about 3 weeks before the exam so I pretty much had a last minute Japanese AS crash course thing T.T'''

Oh and i also got an A* in GCSE as well (hooray! :tongue: - although since I'm an overseas student i usually had to study with my Japanese teacher at home XD, and I could only do that during half-term, easter etc. and stuff)

oh that sucks :frown: congrats on the A* :smile: where are you from?
Reply 12
Original post by tomxxxo

Original post by tomxxxo
oh that sucks :frown: congrats on the A* :smile: where are you from?

I'm from Thailand but its my Third year studying in England at the moment...in L6 lol
Are you English??? XD
Reply 13
Original post by myka551
I'm from Thailand but its my Third year studying in England at the moment...in L6 lol
Are you English??? XD

Oh that's cool, I learnt some Thai when I worked at a Japanese restaurant for work experience because all the chefs were Thai haha, I can't remember any now though.
And yeah I'm English, I'm half Spanish but I've grown up here :smile:
Original post by myka551

My essay was too long as well, but I asked for spare paper. Hopefully they'll notice because my entire third point was on there (along with my plan), haha :redface:

But in general it was OK. Easier than last year's JLPT N4 :smile:
Reply 15
The options for Japanese Studies with Spanish at University of Sheffield. :coma:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi! I'm not applying but I'm doing deferred entry, discovered yesterday I got my first choice to do Japanese Studies at Manchester in 2012 yay! Will be starting Japanese as a beginner at uni though, the extent I speak it is counting 1-10 and introducing myself XD
Original post by taylorg292
Hi! I'm not applying but I'm doing deferred entry, discovered yesterday I got my first choice to do Japanese Studies at Manchester in 2012 yay! Will be starting Japanese as a beginner at uni though, the extent I speak it is counting 1-10 and introducing myself XD

If you're interested, I can highly recommend the Michel Thomas Japanese course, and the Japanese for Busy People textbooks (which are very inexpensive!). They're very easy to use to learn by yourself, and you can go at any speed.

Though the most important thing you could do is try and learn hiragana and katakana! :smile:
Reply 18
Ho ho ho, this is me.

I did apply for 2011 entry but got BBD and not BCC, so I'm trying for 2012. I want to go to either Leeds or Newcastle. SOAS would be a dream but their grade requirements are just too high... :-(

I'm a seasoned Japanese speaker. Been speaking/studying/trying to solve it for about 7 years now. :-) Doing a degree in it would be great, as I've only ever studied by myself, with the help of various language partners.
Reply 19
Oh, I didn't know a thread for 2012 applicants had already been made! Hi everyone :smile:

I'm planning to apply to Cambridge, SOAS, Leeds, Manchester and either Sheffield or Edinburgh (still haven't decided but Ed is slightly winning atm!) With the exception of Cam, I'm probably going to apply for a joint degree with Chinese/Korean since I already have some knowledge of Japanese.

How did everyone do in their AS? Fortunately my sixth form allowed me to take the exam even though I'm self-taught, I'm still in shock that I didn't completely fail it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending