Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does one deal with vandals?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i'm having trouble with vandals recently they came without warning or provocation and have been causing my family trouble. They've done nothing seriously damaging yet but thrown fast food at my window multipule times and tried to throw a 2 litre bottle of pop at my window with an ounce still in it that almost chipped it.

My father tried to discipline them the first time they threw food at my house, but their mother came out and told my dad that no one can discipline her children and they can do whatever they like(she was the typical orange Chav who is living on the government who was also waving around her "human rights"). I have contemplated waiting outside my house with a camera to try and take a picture, there is also a neighbour across the street with CCTV who I was thinking about asking for help if his CCTV stretched to my house and wasn't just limited to his garden. We've already had the police around once and my Dad has phoned them about the bottled water incident.

I have consulted other forums on this matter, and they only lead to one solution: Kicking the **** out of them. Physically, there is nothing I can do because i'm 20 years old and they're about 12-14. However, I have thought about waiting outside for them to pass and try and throw something on their bikes then knock the kid off the bike and either take it or break it in front of him.

Yet, I want to settle this as diplomatically as possible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try talking to them? see why they do that? maybe you can buy them sweets or something, you can get their respect in a few ways, kicking them in the ***** will make you equal to them
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Call social services and report the family. They **** you up so you **** up their lives. Plus it will be anonymous.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    What age are the kids who are doing this to you? It sounds like maybe they have a lot of difficulties - children don't do this to other people if they are well brought up to understand how to treat others and so on - the underlying motive is probably either jealousy (maybe you have something they don't, or just look like you are having a better life to them) or trying to get your attention. To some kids always involved in battling at home, they want to take that battle out to other people and show it to them in the hope of getting a hand by some strange means. Of course, the way they show that invariably just infuriates the recipient and they don't get the help.

I like it that you mentioned diplomatically as that's most likely the only way forward - people who try to do various revenges like the ones suggested in this thread usually just make things much worse.

Can you talk to the kids individually? If they are not together, you could try being friendly or at least not too aggressive when you try. They will be expecting you to come back at them with something now they have "wound you up" so if you come on strong, they will most likely just get sneakier and nastier.

Sorry you're in this situation, it feels bad when someone just randomly targets you for what seems no good reason and won't be intelligent. Best way forward is to try somehow to introduce some intelligence into the situation.

Emma

(Original post by King_Blumpkins)
    Basically, i'm having trouble with vandals recently they came without warning or provocation and have been causing my family trouble. They've done nothing seriously damaging yet but thrown fast food at my window multipule times and tried to throw a 2 litre bottle of pop at my window with an ounce still in it that almost chipped it.

My father tried to discipline them the first time they threw food at my house, but their mother came out and told my dad that no one can discipline her children and they can do whatever they like(she was the typical orange Chav who is living on the government who was also waving around her "human rights"). I have contemplated waiting outside my house with a camera to try and take a picture, there is also a neighbour across the street with CCTV who I was thinking about asking for help if his CCTV stretched to my house and wasn't just limited to his garden. We've already had the police around once and my Dad has phoned them about the bottled water incident.

I have consulted other forums on this matter, and they only lead to one solution: Kicking the **** out of them. Physically, there is nothing I can do because i'm 20 years old and they're about 12-14. However, I have thought about waiting outside for them to pass and try and throw something on their bikes then knock the kid off the bike and either take it or break it in front of him.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    By kicking their asses.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Call social services and report the family. They **** you up so you **** up their lives. Plus it will be anonymous.

Well, they live in a house that is owned by the council and we've already had the police around once and she said that if they cause anymore bother and we actually find out who they are we can have them evicted.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I will hold in my instinctive response(which I will now gleefully type out: feed to them everything they have thrown at your house, and then drag them kicking and screaming back to their houses(or I should say, the taxpayer-owned houses in which they live)).
    Anyway, get on to your MP, councillors, and local newspaper. If the politicians don't do anything, although I'm sure they will, contact your local newspaper and let them know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Buy a 12-gauge and just sit on your front porch and stare at them as they go by. They won't come back.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    I will hold in my instinctive response(which I will now gleefully type out: feed to them everything they have thrown at your house, and then drag them kicking and screaming back to their houses(or I should say, the taxpayer-owned houses in which they live)).
    Anyway, get on to your MP, councillors, and local newspaper. If the politicians don't do anything, although I'm sure they will, contact your local newspaper and let them know.

That's my second option, it really does piss me off that these type of people can do whatever they please without consequences because they know the ****ty UK law will protect them.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also I am SURE these are the same little ****s that have been throwing snowballs with stones in them at my window every winter.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That's my second option, it really does piss me off that these type of people can do whatever they please without consequences because they know the ****ty UK law will protect them.
    Not to make everything party-political, but this is exactly the kind of problem that the new elected police commissioners will be here to sort out. Stuff that affects people on a day-to-day basis, particularly low-level vandalism.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beleg Cuthalion)
    Buy a 12-gauge and just sit on your front porch and stare at them as they go by. They won't come back.
    Ah UK gun laws are poopy what about some gunpowder and a musket?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    buy a kitana, kids dont play with knives
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder.bolt)
    Try talking to them? see why they do that? maybe you can buy them sweets or something, you can get their respect in a few ways, kicking them in the ***** will make you equal to them
    Are you kidding me? That would be tantermount to capitulation.

The kind of respect people like that understand is the kind gained by force.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

tell us the vandals' address

We, your TSR brethren! will sort them out
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    i read on a forum about a reenactor who lives in a bad part of town and because every weekend he is moving weaponry in and out of his van he makes sure to do it in plain view of the other people so that all the youths see him taking out an entire armoury of swords, pikes, axes, muskets, etc.

suprisingly he has never had a problem. so the solution = buy more weapons. don't have to use them to scare people...but it helps.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giantlemon)
    i read on a forum about a reenactor who lives in a bad part of town and because every weekend he is moving weaponry in and out of his van he makes sure to do it in plain view of the other people so that all the youths see him taking out an entire armoury of swords, pikes, axes, muskets, etc.

suprisingly he has never had a problem. so the solution = buy more weapons. don't have to use them to scare people...but it helps.
    sounds like a plan unless they come with a weapon to nick your weapons :'(
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The same way you deal with everyone else who pisses you off

Spoiler:
    Show
    CHAINSAW MASSACCRRRRRRE
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    Then how about just getting a bb gun, or brandishing a baseball bat (cricket bat perhaps as effective?).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2011
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.