The Student Room Group

c2 integration (look at attachment)

I have attached a question that im slightly confuzzled about. Part i I can do, but if someone should just explain how to do ii :s-smilie:

Thanks a lot

Scroll to see replies

Integrate from 0 to 3, make it positive, and add it to the integral from 3 to 5.
Reply 2
Original post by freedomhunter
I have attached a question that im slightly confuzzled about. Part i I can do, but if someone should just explain how to do ii :s-smilie:

Thanks a lot

I literally did this question 10 minutes ago. When you integrate form 0-5 you are evaluating. The reason it will be less than the total area is because integrating between 0-3 will give a negative value.

To get the answer, which is 79/6, you must integrate between 0-3 and 3-5 (separately) and then subtract your integration between 0-3 form your integration between 3-5.
Reply 3
Original post by meatball893
Integrate from 0 to 3, make it positive, and add it to the integral from 3 to 5.

Why would u make it positve :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by Killjoy-
...then subtract your integration between 0-3 form your integration between 3-5.

this is the ony bit i dont get it :s-smilie:
why do you do that :s-smilie:
Reply 5
this is the ony bit i dont get it :s-smilie:
why do you do that :s-smilie:

Because 0-3 will be negative, so you have to account for it by 'making it positive.' That way you are finding the total area, and not just evaluating.
Why would u make it positve :s-smilie:

You want the total area. But integrating from 0 to 3 will give you a negative area, which you don't want. It'll have the right value, but the wrong sign. So change the sign.

What is your answer to i)?
Reply 7
Thanks guys - i get it now! (I cant rep you anymore because ive run out of reps:P)

answer to part i) is because some of the area is under the x-axis
Thanks guys - i get it now! (I cant rep you anymore because ive run out of reps:P)

You may want to explain why that matters. But I'm glad you get (ii) now :biggrin:
Reply 9

Good Luck for your exam :smile: I have it today as well.
Reply 10
You may want to explain why that matters. But I'm glad you get (ii) now :biggrin:

How would you explain why it matters? what would you say..
Reply 11
Good Luck for your exam :smile: I have it today as well.

how you feeling for the exam? What prep have you done so far?
Killjoy-
freedomhunter

:eek: Your exam is today? Wow, hope it goes well!
Reply 13
how you feeling for the exam? What prep have you done so far?

I've gone through almost all the papers twice now. I understand the content, but even with this I keep making stupid mistakes so I loose at least a few marks.

Compared to other exams though, I'm feeling okay (Haven't said that for a while).
Reply 14
:eek: Your exam is today? Wow, hope it goes well!

Thank you! And well done for your A2 grades by the way!
Reply 15
Yeah like others have said

1. Integrate 5-3, 3-0 separately
2. Make the 3-0 part positive
3. Add the two parts together

26/3 + 9/2 = 13 1/6 or 79/6
Reply 16
I've gone through almost all the papers twice now. I understand the content, but even with this I keep making stupid mistakes so I loose at least a few marks.

Compared to other exams though, I'm feeling okay (Haven't said that for a while).

Snap! I keep making stupid mistakes too! Ive done all past papers 3 times apart from the 2010 and 2011 series. I JUST found them online, do you think theyre worthwhile doing them? is there anything new in them?
Reply 17
Snap! I keep making stupid mistakes too! Ive done all past papers 3 times apart from the 2010 and 2011 series. I JUST found them online, do you think theyre worthwhile doing them? is there anything new in them?

Hmm, I'm not sure. You don't want to do too much just before the exam, but you might want a bit more practice. Its up to you.
Reply 18
Hmm, I'm not sure. You don't want to do too much just before the exam, but you might want a bit more practice. Its up to you.

Im done...im gna just go through a few log questions in a n hour or so and them im done. What's your plan
Reply 19

how u think that went?

Quick Reply

Latest