The Student Room Group

AS Level OCR Ancient History Notes? (Classics: Ancient History)

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone else had the Classics:Greek History OCR exam on Wednesday the 25th May?

Over the year I've only made assorted notes, and they aren't very concise or revisable...seems like such a rare subject there are no online revision resources or guides for the subject and also...even the basic information in the specification is hard to find. Anyone willing to share any notes/exam tips? Most of the a), b), c) questions seem ok, but the [45] mark essay questions are a bit overwhelming, I wouldn't know what sources to use for some of those questions let alone find enough to write.

Any help hugely appreciated
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just revise quotes. All you need to know is a outline of the story nothing in detail. I don't have all the sources yet and I am worried but it is a wierd exam. I would think a large proportion of people will do ****e.
Marks will get standerised, if you remember mot of the quote write in down and fill it with your own words because different sources have different translations and the examinor hasnt memorised all the sources. Just don't completely make one up.
Original post by Poink
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone else had the Classics:Greek History OCR exam on Wednesday the 25th May?

Over the year I've only made assorted notes, and they aren't very concise or revisable...seems like such a rare subject there are no online revision resources or guides for the subject and also...even the basic information in the specification is hard to find. Anyone willing to share any notes/exam tips? Most of the a), b), c) questions seem ok, but the [45] mark essay questions are a bit overwhelming, I wouldn't know what sources to use for some of those questions let alone find enough to write.

Any help hugely appreciated
Thanks

I'm doing that! Are you doing Sparta?

What notes do you need exactly? And, as the above poster said, memorise the quotes ad refrences. It's the most important thing, to be able to back up your argument! For example, I;ve condensed all my quotes (about 10 quotes for each topic, i'e educatio system, women etc etc) and put them on revisio cards and just go over them everyday. As with dates, put the most imprtant dates on revision cards (i.e Thermopylae, Peloponnesian war) and put small info of what happened and what it shows and go over them everyday. And then just do sh*t loads of past papers. Good luck! It's going to be hard exam.
Reply 3
I have that exam tooo!
I'll be honest I'm s***ing it.

I hate the way you have to know so many quotes, its a nightmare - I learn some then forget the rest :P.

Any 3 days to go :s-smilie:. Good luck everyone!
Reply 4
I have made some revision things on the Quizlet website if you are trying to remember sources. They were only supposed to be for me so it may be a little unobvious as they are like prompts.
But take a look if you want
This is the URL : http://quizlet.com/_3ckyy
Then just click on "sean_myers" under the created by setion to the left!

There should be a load of themes each with source references.

Hopefully they are of some help
:smile:
Reply 5
Hi again, I'm afraid I'm doing Athenian Democracy, but thanks for the thought anyway, I'm sure some others will make use of your notes
Reply 6
Ah okay.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
I realise this might be a dead thread,
But I'm thinking of trying to self teach myself this course but I'm struggling to find any information past the course outline,
Is there a course book or revision guide?
How did your teachers teach you it?
Anyone got any good sites or notes they can lead me to?
Original post by JJL10
I realise this might be a dead thread,
But I'm thinking of trying to self teach myself this course but I'm struggling to find any information past the course outline,
Is there a course book or revision guide?
How did your teachers teach you it?
Anyone got any good sites or notes they can lead me to?

I don't know if you're still thinking of this but I stated the course in September and I'm starting to revise the Spartan topic now that we've finished it and I'm struggling to find online sources. I only have course guides that my teacher gave to me and everything I've been taught has been done through powerpoints and written sources from historians (Plutarch, Herodotus etc.)
I haven't got any sites I could give you, but i could send some book recommendations to get a general idea and the topics to research?
Reply 9
Original post by Imogen'sLaLaLand
I don't know if you're still thinking of this but I stated the course in September and I'm starting to revise the Spartan topic now that we've finished it and I'm struggling to find online sources. I only have course guides that my teacher gave to me and everything I've been taught has been done through powerpoints and written sources from historians (Plutarch, Herodotus etc.)
I haven't got any sites I could give you, but i could send some book recommendations to get a general idea and the topics to research?

Hi, Yes that would be of help,
I'm struggling with the source stuff more than the general topic but I think atm I'm kinda failing at both,
I'm nagging my head of History for more help,but the organisation and memory isn't always great,
Anything people can link me to or send or recommend would be most welcome
thanks
JJL
Original post by JJL10
Hi, Yes that would be of help,
I'm struggling with the source stuff more than the general topic but I think atm I'm kinda failing at both,
I'm nagging my head of History for more help,but the organisation and memory isn't always great,
Anything people can link me to or send or recommend would be most welcome
thanks
JJL

I can get the book list off my teacher tomorrow, if you want some of my notes, is there a way you could give me your email address and I'll send photos of them to you?
Reply 11
I can get the book list off my teacher tomorrow, if you want some of my notes, is there a way you could give me your email address and I'll send photos of them to you?

Yes I'll Pm you one of my email addresses now,
Thanks very much

also ,just wondering what are you doing for the Rome paper?
Taking this exam soon and I am incredibly nervous - there seems to be an endless amount of quotes to memorise! I'm intending to get an A (hahaha) and I find myself studying the Athenian Democracy and Cicero & Late Republic Rome.

Is anyone else, reading this post, taking this course? If so, how are you preparing?

Initially I detested it and was going to drop it for A2, but the characters have somewhat grown on me after re-reading the sources at home - I find it so difficult to concentrate on them in the classroom environment - and thus may instead vanquish Literature in favor of this.
Reply 13

Hey is there anyway you could get around to doing this?
I never received any email and it would really help,
I'm starting to think that I'm screwed for this as I've been self-teaching and just haven't been covering enough of the sources or even content stuff due ot lack of time and resources.
Original post by JJL10
Hey is there anyway you could get around to doing this?
I never received any email and it would really help,
I'm starting to think that I'm screwed for this as I've been self-teaching and just haven't been covering enough of the sources or even content stuff due ot lack of time and resources.

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry, I thought I'd sent the email. One of the best ones was this one, http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Spartans-Warrior-Heroes-Ancient-Greece/dp/1400078857 I'm away at the minute but I have my notes with me I think. I'll tey email you some photos of stuff if that would help? I'm so so sorry I really thought I'd sent it
Reply 15
Oh my gosh I'm so sorry, I thought I'd sent the email. One of the best ones was this one, http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Spartans-Warrior-Heroes-Ancient-Greece/dp/1400078857 I'm away at the minute but I have my notes with me I think. I'll tey email you some photos of stuff if that would help? I'm so so sorry I really thought I'd sent it

that'd be great,photo's are fine!

if you did it didn't work as I never recieved it.

I'll re-message my email
My teacher gave me a revision guide of Augustus & of the Delian League so if anybody wants some photos of it just ask
Has anyone got any tips for timing? Planning & writing even the 25 marks in 25 minutes seems as if it'll be impossible when the real thing arrives!
Original post by ancienthistory
Has anyone got any tips for timing? Planning & writing even the 25 marks in 25 minutes seems as if it'll be impossible when the real thing arrives!

I read the questions and then just wrote everything I could remember for everything I'd need down and took about five mins doing that and then had everything I needed to write all my answers and I'd done some practices and got a generic structure down for each question. This was for my mock and I got a high B. Also read both sources for your topic on the paper because they usually link somehow to the forty five mark question
I read the questions and then just wrote everything I could remember for everything I'd need down and took about five mins doing that and then had everything I needed to write all my answers and I'd done some practices and got a generic structure down for each question. This was for my mock and I got a high B. Also read both sources for your topic on the paper because they usually link somehow to the forty five mark question

May I ask what your structure is?

For the 45 marks I do 4 of these:
-Point, Evidence from one source, Analyse
-Author criticism & negative
-Link back to the question
-Point, Evidence from another source, Analyse
-Author criticism & negative
-Link back to the question

It takes me 11 minutes per 'argument,' set out as above. In your opinion, is this too much? I am aiming for an A in this subject and it's my greatest concern atm

Thank you for replying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending