The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is it because both universities turned you down??

There are way worse places than the West Midlands in Britain, just sayin'.
Reply 2
Original post by Pinball_heart

There are way worse places than the West Midlands in Britain, just sayin'.

No there aren't.:biggrin::tongue:
The Black Country is the best for post-industrial grime. My ends.:cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks, JCC-MGS. Which Black Country town would you say is the grimiest and ugliest?
Reply 5
I have grown up all my life in Wolverhampton and lived in Coventry while I was at Warwick uni - its harsh but true they arnt as nice as a lot of other places in the country such as Bristol. That being said one isnt worth than the other, like everywhere to a degree it depends which part of the city you are in, as both have some nice bits as well
Reply 6
Never been to Wolverhampton but Coventry is the most ugly, depressing place in the world.
Both could do with a Nuke or two.
Reply 8
Original post by BL5-CT
Never been to Wolverhampton but Coventry is the most ugly, depressing place in the world.

I'm inclined to agree with you. At least Wolverhampton has some soul to it. Most of the older buildings escaped the blitz, so it still has its history. Coventry, on the other hand, was largely rebuilt hurriedly and cheaply right after the war. The place has the look as though it was slapped back together as quickly and cheaply as possible. Butt ugly, would be a much too kind reference for Coventry. It really is the ugliest British city that I've seen. Most of the old car factories, metal foundries, machine shops, etc., seem to be closed, derelict and boarded up. The beat-up look is everywhere, including amongst the majority of the female population of Cov. Definitely a hard city to love, and even harder to appreciate.:cool:
I've heard that Coventry is terrible.

I know a girl who hated the area so much that she dropped out of Warwick.
Reply 10
Architectural terms I'd say Coventry is worse whereas by the general image I'd argue Wolverhampton is worse because it lacks a feeling of any progress. I just felt like I'm in a dying city when I spent half an hour in Wolverhampton.
Reply 11
Original post by Timon
I'm inclined to agree with you. At least Wolverhampton has some soul to it. Most of the older buildings escaped the blitz, so it still has its history. Coventry, on the other hand, was largely rebuilt hurriedly and cheaply right after the war. The place has the look as though it was slapped back together as quickly and cheaply as possible. Butt ugly, would be a much too kind reference for Coventry. It really is the ugliest British city that I've seen. Most of the old car factories, metal foundries, machine shops, etc., seem to be closed, derelict and boarded up. The beat-up look is everywhere, including amongst the majority of the female population of Cov. Definitely a hard city to love, and even harder to appreciate.:cool:

Not only the ugliest place I've been to in Britain mate, I've been to some pretty dire industrial towns in Eastern Europe, but none of them come close to the soul sucking portal of woe that is Coventry.
Reply 12
You talk about industrial cities, but Coventry is not particularly industrial since this would imply that there is something worth mentioning in Coventry. There is not. It has no industry, and it has nothing else either. It is not particularly dirty, but it also isn't anything else either. It has nothing. I've never been to Wolverhampton, but I can't imagine it's any uglier or more pointless.
Reply 13
Never been to Stoke then?
Whilst those cities are probably ****holes, the rule doesn't apply to the whole WM area, fag.
Reply 15
I think I've been to every grotty mill town and steel city in all of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and none of those dreary places are as dire and depressing as Coventry. Apologies to anybody from Coventry for my rudeness, but the place is a real downer. I honestly get nauseous just thinking of the place during my many visits to that city.
Reply 16
Original post by The Egg Militia
Whilst those cities are probably ****holes, the rule doesn't apply to the whole WM area, fag.

You're right, all of the West Midlands should not be painted with the same vile brush. But on the whole, the West Midlands smells like ass, 'fag'.:s-smilie:
Reply 17
Not been to Wolverhampton but their train station is pretty grim! Although Coventry has the ugliest city centre in the UK.
Reply 18
Original post by Timon
I think I've been to every grotty mill town and steel city in all of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and none of those dreary places are as dire and depressing as Coventry. Apologies to anybody from Coventry for my rudeness, but the place is a real downer. I honestly get nauseous just thinking of the place during my many visits to that city.

Okay, lets cut the crap and tell me what in particular don't you like about Coventry? Because you're not making much sense to me.
Reply 19
Original post by roe5745
Not been to Wolverhampton but their train station is pretty grim! Although Coventry has the ugliest city centre in the UK.

The city centre has undergone major developments through out the past century, where there were industries, there's now shops. The city centre which used to be thoroughly rich in residential properties which have been replaced by banks and letting agencies. The once known historic parks it accommodated and the original buildings that were the life and soul of the city have been replaced by student housing and accommodation. And the biggest change in Coventry has been the expansion of Coventry university and its associated halls right in the heart of Coventry and all this change is happening as a consequence of you students taking over the city and you have audacity to now complain about it? Pathetic.

Latest