The Student Room Group

2nd year breakdown

I wanted to post this here as I feel I may not get any helpful responses in the health forum, no offence to the posters there.

I am in my 2nd year of a Sociology degree, I have excelled and secured top marks for all of my work so far but in the last month I have completely fallen to pieces.

My brother died at Christmas very unexpectedly and it is only really starting to sink in now, I spent the months after his death pouring all of my energy in to taking care of my family (emotionally...) and doing my uni assignments. I intend to go on to post grad study in research methods so my degree means everything to me. I have been perfectly able to do my work up until now and I have really enjoyed some of the work this year, but now when I am literally two weeks away from the end of my last term I can't do the work at all.

I have terrible insomnia and anxiety, I literally start the work and my mind goes blank. It is an independent research project which I must admit I have no enthusiasm for, I also have a couple of essays overdue. I can't sleep at night, all I think about is the work. Usually when I feel this way I can just churn the work out with some extra effort but this is the first time since I started my course that I can not physically bring myself to do it.

I have spoken to my tutors about it but for some reason I seem to then kick myself out of it during the conversation, I'll trivialise my feelings and just say I'll get on with it. Has anyone else ever done this? I am confident that I am one of the best students on the course and I feel that I use this against myself, I am not letting myself admit defeat?? I am 24 years old and have never felt so useless. I know I am intelligent and more than capable of producing great work but I just can't do it, I feel like I have some sort of disability??

Does anyone else understand this? Is this normal if you are grieving??

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Kattz
I wanted to post this here as I feel I may not get any helpful responses in the health forum, no offence to the posters there.

I am in my 2nd year of a Sociology degree, I have excelled and secured top marks for all of my work so far but in the last month I have completely fallen to pieces.

My brother died at Christmas very unexpectedly and it is only really starting to sink in now, I spent the months after his death pouring all of my energy in to taking care of my family (emotionally...) and doing my uni assignments. I intend to go on to post grad study in research methods so my degree means everything to me. I have been perfectly able to do my work up until now and I have really enjoyed some of the work this year, but now when I am literally two weeks away from the end of my last term I can't do the work at all.

I have terrible insomnia and anxiety, I literally start the work and my mind goes blank. It is an independent research project which I must admit I have no enthusiasm for, I also have a couple of essays overdue. I can't sleep at night, all I think about is the work. Usually when I feel this way I can just churn the work out with some extra effort but this is the first time since I started my course that I can not physically bring myself to do it.

I have spoken to my tutors about it but for some reason I seem to then kick myself out of it during the conversation, I'll trivialise my feelings and just say I'll get on with it. Has anyone else ever done this? I am confident that I am one of the best students on the course and I feel that I use this against myself, I am not letting myself admit defeat?? I am 24 years old and have never felt so useless. I know I am intelligent and more than capable of producing great work but I just can't do it, I feel like I have some sort of disability??

Does anyone else understand this? Is this normal if you are grieving??

Thanks

Oh, love, this is totally, totally normal for grief. I'm so sorry.

You need to let your tutors know - write down exactly what you've written here and hand it to them. That way you don't get to back out.

There is support out there - unexpected things happen in everyone's life and universities just like workplaces are prepared for this. You need the space to grieve. You don't have to hold it together for anyone. Sending all warmest thoughts.
Reply 2
Thank you, I just feel like because I've held it together for 6 months that there is no good reason for me to fall apart now. It does not make sense to me why it is happening now, I hate grieving it is actually crippling me mentally. I just thought it was meant to get better and not worse, I really am confused by it all.

I have 3 more assignments, to me they seem so small but I can't get my head round them. I feel like I'm going insane. I e-mailed my tutor to explain so hopefully he will understand, I think he will they have been very kind. They have high expectations of me and that is great, it makes me feel really happy but I have ended up ignoring my grief to meet these expectations, I just don't see why I can't hold off for another month. It's like my brain is telling me to just get on with it and my body is just saying go to sleep! I hope it passes soon it is so depressing.
Reply 3
Original post by Kattz
Thank you, I just feel like because I've held it together for 6 months that there is no good reason for me to fall apart now. It does not make sense to me why it is happening now, I hate grieving it is actually crippling me mentally. I just thought it was meant to get better and not worse, I really am confused by it all.

I have 3 more assignments, to me they seem so small but I can't get my head round them. I feel like I'm going insane. I e-mailed my tutor to explain so hopefully he will understand, I think he will they have been very kind. They have high expectations of me and that is great, it makes me feel really happy but I have ended up ignoring my grief to meet these expectations, I just don't see why I can't hold off for another month. It's like my brain is telling me to just get on with it and my body is just saying go to sleep! I hope it passes soon it is so depressing.

There is no time frame to grief. It takes as long as it needs to take.

It sounds as if you have high expectations and the fact you are not currently living up to those expectations contributes to you feeling useless.

It could be useful for you to realise that your assignments don't have to be perfect. A dip in the overall quality of your work won't be a disaster. You have mitigating circumstances.

You should certainly book some sessions with your university counsellor - air your feelings. You have conflicting emotions and you need time to work through them - this may help give you a context for your outstanding assignments and help you see what is really important. Good luck.
Reply 4
Speak to your tutors, don't make the same mistake I made. I lost my gran suddenly just before the start of my 3rd year, I bottled everything up and just got on with it, had loads of assignments and stuff to keep me busy but then during my final teaching practice something else happened and it tipped me over the edge. I failed my final placement and had a breakdown. Take some time out and rejoin your course when you feel up to it. Hope everything works out for you x x
Reply 5
Thanks everyone that posted, I got through my 2nd year and came out with a first, now just got to make it through this one.

Thanks for all of your kind words. xx
well done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending