The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Does the AH Maths course have anything to do with complex/imaginary numbers in them?

It does :yep:
Original post by Ecosse_14
It does :yep:

Joy oh joy :tongue:
Joy oh joy :tongue:

That's one part of the course I could actually do IIRC :tongue:
Finally back to school and have had AH Maths. We are doing half the course with one teacher (Algebra) half with another (Calculus). So far we've just done differentiation from first principles and like the more complex chain rule (extended chain rule). Then today in Algebra we were doing partial fractions. All seems pretty straight forward at the moment. I think after seeing and tackling a STEP paper a lot will seem easier.

In AH Stats we are doing probability and sampling at the moment. Getting used to the like set notation in stats. It's okay but a bit harder than I thought. I just want to be able to use all the stuff already and apply it to real data.
Original post by laughylolly
Finally back to school and have had AH Maths. We are doing half the course with one teacher (Algebra) half with another (Calculus). So far we've just done differentiation from first principles and like the more complex chain rule (extended chain rule). Then today in Algebra we were doing partial fractions. All seems pretty straight forward at the moment. I think after seeing and tackling a STEP paper a lot will seem easier.

In AH Stats we are doing probability and sampling at the moment. Getting used to the like set notation in stats. It's okay but a bit harder than I thought. I just want to be able to use all the stuff already and apply it to real data.

Extended chain rule? Elaborate please?

Just don't let STEP scare you :p: Remember with enough practice they are possible!

She probably means multiple applications of the chain rule or chain rule combined with other rules, such as esin2xe^{\sin ^2 x} or sin(x2)cosx\sin \left( x^2 \right) \cos x
Original post by ukdragon37
Just don't let STEP scare you :p: Remember with enough practice they are possible!

Yeah. I just don't think I know half the stuff I need to know to tackle them properly yet. I'm pretty sure that in 4/5 months time I'll be a lot more confident.

Well like in higher you learn dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx

Extended chain rule is like dy/dx = dy/du * du/dt * dt/dx . You use it for when there more parts to differentiate basically.

I don't think it's proper name is that but that's what our maths teacher described it as.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh my goodness, this thread is awesome :biggrin:

I am a happy AH mathematician! We've done binomial theorem, most or all of partial fractions and some differential calculus. It's fun. :L
Reply 68
Just about finished unit 1 now, little more on properties of functions and integral calculus though.

So far so good, although the book we're using has a lot of mistakes...
Original post by Evan7788
Just about finished unit 1 now, little more on properties of functions and integral calculus though.

So far so good, although the book we're using has a lot of mistakes...

what text book are you using? we are using "Maths In Action, Advanced Higher, Mathematics 1" and there has been not one mistake so far! :smile:
Reply 70
If you`re using the nelson thornes books - lots of mistakes, so i recommend using sites like wolfram alpha to check them - better still you can download mathematica 8 for a free 15 day trial ( the new free form entry might just give you what you`re looking for in any Q?, and so the syntax is pretty easy to get used to - loads of examples to help you!).
Original post by FreeRangeEggs
what text book are you using? we are using "Maths In Action, Advanced Higher, Mathematics 1" and there has been not one mistake so far! :smile:

Same here! Although for the differential calculus bit the answered are so simplified. I've gotten used to factorizing/simplifying the answers and stuff now though. At first I seemed to be getting everything wrong, then I realized that I just hadn't finished it all off.

So far so good though! I'm also using Maths in Action books for AH Stats too. They are also very good.
Reply 72
We're using Maths in Action also :s-smilie:

What edition is yours?
Original post by Evan7788
We're using Maths in Action also :s-smilie:

What edition is yours?

Um... Well two of my books are second hand and one of them is new. For Mathematics 1 + 2 it doesn't say the edition but just says that that particular edition was published first in 2000. For mathematics 3 it doesn't say the edition either just says that it was first published in 2001.

I guess they are all 1st edition?

Just saw that you've pretty much finished unit 1. We've only done partial fractions, differential calculus and personally I've gone through the binomial expansion bit. Maybe there are mistakes to come!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
There is :P
Reply 75
yeah, there are quite a few mistakes, but mostly its just that the answers are simplified so much, that nobody would ever think to do it!
Hi all, I'm also sitting AH Maths this year so thought I'd make myself known. No doubt I'll require help at various points throughout the course.
My class also uses the Maths in Action Unit 1 textbook and yes, it has many 'mistakes' which my teacher points out often (I recognise they may just be over-simplified as suggested, still though, the sillies...).

So far we've covered partial fractions, the binomial theorem/pascal's triangle, differentiation (quotient rule/product rule etc) and we're doing substituted integrals (or similar name) at the moment.
And hence, I find I sit for most of the class and think "..... what have I gotten myself in for" and lose faith in myself ha.
Anybody help me simplify this?

2sin2xcos4x4sin4xcos2x-2sin2xcos4x - 4sin4xcos2x

Somehow it should simplify to:

2sin2x(6cos22x1)-2sin2x(6cos^{2}2x-1)

Just not sure how :s-smilie:
Anybody help me simplify this?

2sin2xcos4x4sin4xcos2x-2sin2xcos4x - 4sin4xcos2x

Somehow it should simplify to:

2sin2x(6cos22x1)-2sin2x(6cos^{2}2x-1)

Just not sure how :s-smilie:

Remember that cos4x = 2cos^2(2x) - 1 and sin4x = 2sin2xcos2x.

-2sin2xcos4x - 4sin4xcos2x
= -2sin2x(2cos^2(2x) - 1) - 8sin2x cos^2(2x)
= -2sin2x[2cos^2(2x) - 1 + 4cos^2(2x)]
= -2sin2x[6cos^2(2x) - 1]
Original post by ukdragon37
Remember that cos4x = 2cos^2(2x) - 1 and sin4x = 2sin2xcos2x.

-2sin2xcos4x - 4sin4xcos2x
= -2sin2x(2cos^2(2x) - 1) - 8sin2x cos^2(2x)
= -2sin2x[2cos^2(2x) - 1 + 4cos^2(2x)]
= -2sin2x[6cos^2(2x) - 1]

Thank you! I knew that sin4x=2sin2xcos2x but I thought that cos4x=cos^2(2x) not 2cos^2(2x) - 1 . That's where I messed up.

We haven't explicitly been taught what cos4x and things are so... but thank you! I get it now.

Latest

Trending

Trending