The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Just solve P = NP and you're fine, mate. <3

:laugh: I wish. If I do PhD it won't even be in that area.
Reply 821
Category theory is what you're interested in, iirc?
Original post by JordanR

**** that, man. I remember that. Mathematicians way of saying '**** knows what the point of this is' and giving it a go anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JordanR

More or less, yes.
ukdragon37
:awesome: I had some peach schnapps last night and I tried to do my statistics coursework, thought coming on here would've helped but noooo. :cool:
Parabloid, sphere...why can't they all just get along...

Just solve P = NP and you're fine, mate. <3

**** that, man. I remember that. Mathematicians way of saying '**** knows what the point of this is' and giving it a go anyway.

Wtf is this. :facepalm:
Reply 826
We don't have a differential equation where we can do that, I can't for the life of me remember what the first type that you're talking about are called, but I know what you mean. Where you'd have:

Separable DEs. Hence solving them by separation of variables.

Original post by ukdragon37
Well it depends on what you meant by "AH related". There are many questions that are solvable using only AH techniques but will never come up in an AH exam (and so is probably of little use for you unless you want a challenge) because they are much more demanding in ability (rather than knowledge) than AH.

:evil:

IMO?:p:

Ah, don't worry, you'll pick it up in university :smile:

I, on the other hand, has made almost no progress in continuous maths ever since first year when I last had a pure maths lecture. :frown:

I'm pretty sure I didn't learn any much maths at uni:p:
Original post by Slumpy
IMO?:p:

It's not that the SQA can't put them in the exam (of course they are allowed to test the syllabus in any form of question they want), they just won't because difficult questions that aren't accessible even to most A candidates have little examination value. Not to mention whoever came up, proof-read and then approved that question will never be asked to do those jobs again. So going along with a purely cynical, exam-centric motivation, it's probably best to practice lots of "exam" questions rather than do anything that's more challenging and interesting (although of course investing in the latter will dramatically boost the performance of the former too, it's just more effort).

Original post by Slumpy
I'm pretty sure I didn't learn any much maths at uni:p:

I'm sure you learnt more than me :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 828
It's not that the SQA can't put them in the exam (of course they are allowed to test the syllabus in any form of question they want), they just won't because difficult questions that aren't accessible even to most A candidates have little examination value. Not to mention whoever came up, proof-read and then approved that question will never be asked to do those jobs again. So going along with a purely cynical, exam-centric motivation, it's probably best to practice lots of "exam" questions rather than do anything that's more challenging and interesting (although of course investing in the latter will dramatically boost the performance of the former too, it's just more effort).

I'm sure you learnt more than me :tongue:

I more meant what you were going to challenge this lot to. It has to be said the number of candidates in the country who could tackle it would likely be single figured though.

Maybe, but I did my best not to:p:
Original post by Slumpy
I more meant what you were going to challenge this lot to. It has to be said the number of candidates in the country who could tackle it would likely be single figured though.

Well the questions I've posted are much simpler than say STEP for example, and I'm sure there would be many more than ten people, even in Scotland, who could give that a good stab (e.g. look at the number of Scottish mathmos Cam admits every year).

Although I do admit I couldn't help posting questions that are very different in the thinking required for the AH exam, and that's only because I like a question to "teach" and be meaningful so it exposes some interesting relationship that you can then think about, which unfortunately is rather the opposite of what the exam (and much of the AH course) is aiming for.
Reply 830
Well the questions I've posted are much simpler than say STEP for example, and I'm sure there would be many more than ten people, even in Scotland, who could give that a good stab (e.g. look at the number of Scottish mathmos Cam admits every year).

Although I do admit I couldn't help posting questions that are very different in the thinking required for the AH exam, and that's only because I like a question to "teach" and be meaningful so it exposes some interesting relationship that you can then think about, which unfortunately is rather the opposite of what the exam (and much of the AH course) is aiming for.

Just out of interest, how many Scottish mathmos does Cam admit? I'm not aware of any from lectures, and I only know of one other in real life and he graduated last year...
Original post by dbou
Just out of interest, how many Scottish mathmos does Cam admit? I'm not aware of any from lectures, and I only know of one other in real life and he graduated last year...

Not exactly sure, but I got the impression that there are more than ten just from the fact that all the friends I have in different colleges mentioned once upon a time or another that they have a/a few Scottish mathmo in their college in my year... Pesonally I know three Scottish mathmos in my year by name.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 832

Oh yeah. I just think it's nice to see some exposure to some higher level stuff(IMO would be too far, but I think some BMO stuff would be nice, partly because of the low level of knowledge but high level of skill required).

Edit-Obviously, they do end up seeming much more 'trick' based most of the time, so totally don't fit the idea of questions that teach much, but seeing ridiculous solutions for them is always nice:p:

Original post by dbou

I graduated last year, and I'm sure I know of a couple more.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 833
Do you have any ideas on how to start learning questions like the one you posted? Any books or anything that might help me shake off a lifetime of bad maths education? :tongue:
Original post by badumdumtscht
:awesome: I had some peach schnapps last night and I tried to do my statistics coursework, thought coming on here would've helped but noooo. :cool:

Are you doing the lengths of words/sentences one? Takes so lonngg :frown:

I'm almost done, just have to do the Mann-Whitney test for the sentences and then write a conclusion. I must say though, it's kinda cool to be able to do it with your own data. It's just collecting the stupid data in the first place. Thank goodness for sampling!
Original post by laughylolly
Are you doing the lengths of words/sentences one? Takes so lonngg :frown:

I'm almost done, just have to do the Mann-Whitney test for the sentences and then write a conclusion. I must say though, it's kinda cool to be able to do it with your own data. It's just collecting the stupid data in the first place. Thank goodness for sampling!

Nope, I'm at uni. :awesome:
Original post by badumdumtscht
Nope, I'm at uni. :awesome:

Hahah ohh. Probably a lot harder than my coursework then!
Anyone know if there's any solutions kicking around for the "Practice Questions"? We were given all these as a homework booklet, and we haven't done them since before Christmas at least, so I'm going to use them for revision going through each topic, but I think I'll need the solutions to help me understand any issues I come across.

I see the Invergordon Academy site where they were taken from have written solutions for Unit 1, outcome 2, 4 and 5. But I'm looking for the whole lot...

EDIT: Found Unit 1 Answers here... http://queensferryhigh.co.uk/index.p...t=12&folder=50
Unit 2l here http://fcis.ea.n-lanark.sch.uk/~cvma...mURL=S026BEED8

Still can't find unit 3 though...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 838
We learned how to find the inverse of a 3x3 matrix today. It's apparently never been asked in the exam before, and I can see why. It would be an absolute nightmare to mark.

No doubt this will be the year it comes up. :frown:
Reply 839
Finished the course today! Although I feel like I haven't taken anything in when we've been studying vectors over the past week or so -- should probably remedy that. Doing the unit 3 NAB on Tuesday.

Latest

Trending

Trending