The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Just wanted to know how everyone feels about each area of the course.

Unit 1

Algebra >>> Like what Algebra? We count everything that is not Calculus as Algebra so that's quite a lot
Differentiation >>> Yeah, it's alright. Just the differentiating cotx and stuff I need to remember
Integration >>> Pretty much the same, but rather a wide topic so.
Functions >>> They're alright I guess
Gaussian elimination >>> So simple, just hope I never have to put anything in upper AND lower triangular form again though.

Unit 2

Further Differentiation >>> It's alright.
Further Integration >>> Some more practice for this I think, especially integration by parts.
Complex numbers >>> They are alright just need to remember all the different situations.
Sequences and series >>> Yeah, alright but again need to remember those formulae and stuff
Number theory and proofs >>> Induction is alright but probably need to go over proof by contradiction.

Unit 3

Vectors >>> They are alright but I need to revise this bit cause there just seems to be soo much! A lot is higher work though
Matrices >>> They are alright I guess
Further sequences and series >>> MacLaurins I guess? Maybe go over that a bit
Differential equations >>> Need to go over 2nd order ones but otherwise fine
Further number theory and proofs >>> I loovee Euclideans Algorithm, best thing ever haha. I think I'm okay with this topic.
Original post by Quintro

Algebra >>> Ok, but never understood those binomial coefficient proofs

What proofs are those?
Reply 902
Original post by ukdragon37
What proofs are those?

This monstrosity:

(nr1)+(nr)=(n+1r)\displaystyle \binom{n}{r-1} + \binom{n}{r}= \binom{n+1}{r}

I believe there was a question on it in last years paper though, meaning we'll likely avoid it this year.

Blows my mind it does :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 903
Original post by Quintro
This monstrosity:

I believe there was a question on it in last years paper though, meaning we'll likely avoid it this year.

The proof's lovely though! Especially if you think of it set theoretically :p:
Original post by Quintro
This monstrosity:

This particular proof avoids much of the factorial work if you just expand both binomial coefficients and added them together:

From definition expand

(nr)=n!r!(nr)!\displaystyle\binom{n}{r} = \dfrac{{n!}}{{r!\left( {n - r} \right)!}}

and

(nr1)=n!(r1)!(nr+1)!\displaystyle\binom{n}{r - 1} = \dfrac{{n!}}{{\left( {r - 1} \right)!\left( {n - r + 1} \right)!}}

Comparing the difference in factors of the numerators and denominators of the two lets us write the relation:

(nr1)=(nr)rnr+1\displaystyle\binom{n}{r - 1} = \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\dfrac{r}{{n - r + 1}}

The factor between the two binomial coefficients becomes obvious if you divide nC(r-1) by nCr.

Hence we write the sum in nCr only using our relation above and take out nCr as a common factor:

Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{array}{l}[br]\displaystyle\binom{n}{r - 1} + \displaystyle\binom{n}{r} = \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\dfrac{r}{{n - r + 1}} + \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\\\\[br] = \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\left( {1 + \dfrac{r}{{n - r + 1}}} \right)\\\\[br] = \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\dfrac{{n + 1}}{{n - r + 1}}\\\\[br] = \dfrac{{\left( {n + 1} \right)!}}{{r!\left[ {\left( {n + 1} \right) - r} \right]!}}\\\\[br] = \displaystyle\binom{{n + 1}}{r} \\\\[br]\end{array}

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 905
This particular proof avoids much of the factorial work if you just expand both binomial coefficients and added them together:

From definition expand

(nr)=n!r!(nr)!\displaystyle\binom{n}{r} = \dfrac{{n!}}{{r!\left( {n - r} \right)!}}

and

(nr1)=n!(r1)!(nr+1)!\displaystyle\binom{n}{r - 1} = \dfrac{{n!}}{{\left( {r - 1} \right)!\left( {n - r + 1} \right)!}}

Comparing the difference in factors of the numerators and denominators of the two lets us write the relation:

(nr1)=(nr)rnr+1\displaystyle\binom{n}{r - 1} = \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\dfrac{r}{{n - r + 1}}

The factor between the two binomial coefficients becomes obvious if you divide nC(r-1) by nCr.

Hence we write the sum in nCr only using our relation above and take out nCr as a common factor:

Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{array}{l}[br]\displaystyle\binom{n}{r - 1} + \displaystyle\binom{n}{r} = \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\dfrac{r}{{n - r + 1}} + \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\\\\[br] = \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\left( {1 + \dfrac{r}{{n - r + 1}}} \right)\\\\[br] = \displaystyle\binom{n}{r}\dfrac{{n + 1}}{{n - r + 1}}\\\\[br] = \dfrac{{\left( {n + 1} \right)!}}{{r!\left[ {\left( {n + 1} \right) - r} \right]!}}\\\\[br] = \displaystyle\binom{{n + 1}}{r} \\\\[br]\end{array}

Nah, mate.
Ways to pick r objects from n+1=number of ways to pick r objects from n+number of ways to pick r-1 objects from n(and the last is the n+1th object). Done! Much nicer:p:
Original post by Slumpy
Nah, mate.
Ways to pick r objects from n+1=number of ways to pick r objects from n+number of ways to pick r-1 objects from n(and the last is the n+1th object). Done! Much nicer:p:

Even nicer is to say (on the assumption that nCr is nth row and rth column of Pascal's triangle), this identity represents the way each number in Pascal's triangle is constructed :tongue:
Reply 907
Even nicer is to say (on the assumption that nCr is nth row and rth column of Pascal's triangle), this identity represents the way each number in Pascal's triangle is constructed :tongue:

I am a big fan of that way, although I think you might struggle to sneak that assumption past people without any justification:p:
Edit-to my mind, the most obvious proof of that result comes back to what I said above also. But I may be missing something.
(edited 12 years ago)
Did 2002 past paper today. Realized I really need to revise second order differential equations, and maybe transformation matrices but other than that it was alright.
Reply 909

It's still unbelievably difficult in comparison to everything else in the AH course. :frown: I think I would be better focussing on the stuff that I actually have a chance of understanding, because that proof is way beyond my level.

I only found out today that logarithmic differentiation can be used to differentiate products and quotients of more than two terms easier. I always thought it could only be used when you had a variable to the power of a variable. :colondollar:
Reply 910
Original post by Quintro
It's still unbelievably difficult in comparison to everything else in the AH course. :frown: I think I would be better focussing on the stuff that I actually have a chance of understanding, because that proof is way beyond my level.

I only found out today that logarithmic differentiation can be used to differentiate products and quotients of more than two terms easier. I always thought it could only be used when you had a variable to the power of a variable. :colondollar:

Oh god, logarithmic differentiation is your best friend. I think it was last year's paper where there was a question that was gonna be crazy without it. I'd use it as often as possible, really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 911
Original post by JordanR
Oh god, logarithmic differentiation is your best friend. I think it was last year's paper where there was a question that was gonna be crazy without it. I'd use it as often as possible, really.

I definitely will know to use it now. I was under the impression where it was something that you were restricted to doing under a very specific scenario.

And I think I know the question you mean.
Reply 912
Original post by Quintro
I definitely will know to use it now. I was under the impression where it was something that you were restricted to doing under a very specific scenario.

And I think I know the question you mean.

Just anywhere you want to make life easier for yourself, I'm sure. Anything involving an exponential is probably a good place to use it.
Original post by Quintro

Whilst ukd's proof requires less work, it's entirely possible to use the complete factorial expansion of the left hand side and bash away at fairly-straightforward but lengthy algebra until the identity falls out.
Reply 914
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Whilst ukd's proof requires less work, it's entirely possible to use the complete factorial expansion of the left hand side and bash away at fairly-straightforward but lengthy algebra until the identity falls out.

Yeah my friend sent me two insanely detailed methods of doing it, so I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Started proofs by induction today and it's actually surprisingly enjoyable. So far at least (we've only done the summation proofs).
Original post by JordanR

Logarithmic differentiation is amazingg. Makes things so easy! Still like the quotient rule and product rule though. I just use the logarithmic if it tells me to really.

Starting to storm through papers now, nearly done with 2003.

Oh by the way, anyone wanna have a look at this question for me? It's Q15 of the 2002 paper. Now I found it quite complicated and stuff but I think I over complicated it so would someone mind doing it or just writing out how they would tackle the question?

Find the general solution of the differential equation

d2ydx2+2dydx+5y=4cosx\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+2\frac{dy}{dx}+5y=4\: cosx

Hence determine the solution which satisfies y(0)=0 and y'(0)=1

Worth 10 marks in total
Reply 916
Original post by laughylolly
Logarithmic differentiation is amazingg. Makes things so easy! Still like the quotient rule and product rule though. I just use the logarithmic if it tells me to really.

Oh by the way, anyone wanna have a look at this question for me? It's Q15 of the 2002 paper. Now I found it quite complicated and stuff but I think I over complicated it so would someone mind doing it or just writing out how they would tackle the question?

Worth 10 marks in total

Set up Auxiliary equation to find the roots.

Doesn't factorise so use quadratic formula.

Roots are complex (p±qip \pm qi) so use complimentary function y=epx(Acosqx+Bsinqx)y=e^{px}(Acosqx + Bsinqx)

Substitute in values of p and q to form the complimentary function.

Set up particular integral as Rcosx+Ssinx

Differentiate PI twice to get y' and y''

Sub into original DE

Compare coefficients of sinx and cosx

Use simultaneous equations or otherwise to find values of R and S.

Solution is y=complimentary function + particular integral

Then for the final part substitute in x=0 y=0 and then y'=1 and x=0 to find values for A and B.

Plug those values into your solution to make it particular.

Hope I didn't screw up :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 917
Original post by laughylolly

Worth 10 marks in total

r^2 + 2r + 5 = 0

Solutions are -1 + 2i and -1-2i

So y = e^-x (Asin2x + Bcos2x) + PI

Particular integral has the form y = C1cosx + C2sinx.

dy/dx = -C1sinx + C2cosx

d^2y/dx^2 = -C1cosx - C2sinx

Plug these into the original equation:

(-C1cosx - C2sinx) + 2(-C1sinx + C2cosx) + 5(C1cosx + C2sinx).

Solve to find C1 and C2 to get your full solution.

Spoiler

Then to find the values of the constants A and B by subbing in x = 0.

Sorry for not really being in depth, got stuff to do. :tongue:
Original post by Quintro
Set up Auxiliary equation to find the roots.

Doesn't factorise so use quadratic formula.

Roots are complex (p±qip \pm qi) so use complimentary function y=epx(Acosqx+Bsinqx)y=e^{px}(Acosqx + Bsinqx)

Substitute in values of p and q to form the complimentary function.

Set up particular integral as Rcosx+Ssinx

Differentiate PI twice to get y' and y''

Sub into original DE

Compare coefficients of sinx and cosx

Use simultaneous equations or otherwise to find values of R and S.

Solution is y=complimentary function + particular integral

Then for the final part substitute in x=0 y=0 and then y'=1 and x=0 to find values for A and B.

Plug those values into your solution to make it particular.

Hope I didn't screw up :redface:

Original post by JordanR
r^2 + 2r + 5 = 0

dy/dx = -C1sinx + C2cosx

Spoiler

Yeah, never mind that's exactly what I did. Just seemed rather long and laborious. Well I guess it is worth 10 marks. Thanks guys though =)
Original post by JordanR
r^2 + 2r + 5 = 0

dy/dx = -C1sinx + C2cosx

Spoiler

*cough*

Latest

Trending

Trending