The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by ThunderShade
I have the Mechanics paper, but no way of getting a clear photo of it. If anyone wants I'll type up the questions in TeX.

Anyways, I didn't find the paper too bad. Kind of annoying that they expected us to know the Earth's mass though .... Hopefully knowing it to one/two sig fig will get the mark.

I'm pretty sure you could do that question without knowing the Earths mass. I know its something around 6x10^24kg but I did it without the mass.
Original post by legion99
I'm pretty sure you could do that question without knowing the Earths mass. I know its something around 6x10^24kg but I did it without the mass.

Can I ask how?

Q: An International Space Station is held in a circular orbit by the Earth's gravitational field and travels at a height of 390km above the surface of the Earth.
Given that the radius of the Earth is 6380km, calculate:
(a) the speed of the satellite in its orbit;
(b) the number of times the satellite orbits the Earth in one day.
You should assume that Newton's Inverse Square Law of Gravitation applies.
Can I ask how?

Q: An International Space Station is held in a circular orbit by the Earth's gravitational field and travels at a height of 390km above the surface of the Earth.

Id like to know how you got the answer without the mass of the earth... (although the mass is easy to work out if you know the radius and G)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Marcus4004
Id like to know how you got the answer without the mass of the earth... (although the mass is easy to work out if you know the radius and G)

Just realised that you can figure out the mass of the earth from the info on the question. I think that's what he meant.
Reply 1624
Can I ask how?

On the surface of a planet, the force due to the inverse square law of gravitation is the same as mg,
So you can write GMm/R^2 = mg
G = grav constant
M = Earth mass
m = mass of object
R = Earth Radius

That equation can be re-arranged to give GM = gR^2
So you can take out G and M in the question so you only have to use R which you are given.
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Only if it's no great hassle for you, but please! :smile:

So what do you think of the paper? I think overall it was alright apart from A8 b) I think it was. The binomial 2 sigma one. That just threw me completely off. Probably didn't help that I didn't read the question properly.
Original post by laughylolly
So what do you think of the paper? I think overall it was alright apart from A8 b) I think it was. The binomial 2 sigma one. That just threw me completely off. Probably didn't help that I didn't read the question properly.

A1-A4: Pretty standard fodder, although I have to admit I'm hazy on my tests now. (Combination of interests elsewhere in statistics and convenient wizards in software like SPSS.) I would have defaulted to a t-test for A4(a) - what were they expecting? z-test?

A5: Not too tricky, but I like this style of question.

A6: Bookwork.

A7: Slightly trickier bookwork.

A8: Okay, but I expect reading the question helps! From what you say, at least doesn't seem like it's likely to affect your grade. :smile:

A9: Straightforward.

Seems unremarkable! The style of the exam hasn't changed from when I sat and revised it, and my thoughts then and now are that, if you've done the past papers to get the practice in, it's almost a case of 'same question, different numbers'. Thanks for uploading :biggrin:
A1-A4: Pretty standard fodder, although I have to admit I'm hazy on my tests now. (Combination of interests elsewhere in statistics and convenient wizards in software like SPSS.) I would have defaulted to a t-test for A4(a) - what were they expecting? z-test?

A5: Not too tricky, but I like this style of question.

A6: Bookwork.

A7: Slightly trickier bookwork.

A8: Okay, but I expect reading the question helps! From what you say, at least doesn't seem like it's likely to affect your grade. :smile:

A9: Straightforward.

Seems unremarkable! The style of the exam hasn't changed from when I sat and revised it, and my thoughts then and now are that, if you've done the past papers to get the practice in, it's almost a case of 'same question, different numbers'. Thanks for uploading :biggrin:

For A4 I did z-test purely because it gave to the standard deviation. And because part b) said about the t-test and was a clear hint that you shouldn't do that in part a.

A5 was a gift of a question because you know what you are aiming for. I made a silly mistake at first by taking the chi squared value but then I realised my mistake cause I didn't get r > 0.40.

A7 I didn't think it was too bad. c) I wasn't sure about but I said that they could check the residual model and that they could calculate a prediction interval. Thing about linear regression questions is that all your formulas are in the book so that does make them a bit easier. I just don't like having to work out s, SSR and b and all that. Although I guess I could have done it all on my calculator but I don't trust it all the time.

A9 At first I was like :O how am I supposed to like know the values from that dot plot! I spent ages like writing out all the values then after the exam was done I was like, wait I only needed to know the rank *facepalm* which would have been easy to read off the dot plot. I still got the same rank sums as someone in my class who did it the easier way so. And I did the 1/2N(N+1) check as well and it was okay. Part b) also threw me off a bit but then I understood what it meant and I think I got the marks

I think one of the hardest things with stats is understanding the question. The questions are so wordy compared to Pure maths and Mechanics that if you don't read the question right, you probably won't get the marks.

I hope it went okay though. I think I got either 30 or 31 out of 32 in section B so that means I can loose like another 20 something marks in the stats part. Really need that A!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1628
Original post by randomhero12
I used what I think is the right marking scheme and got 91/92 depending on the marker but I still don't understand q12. Would've never have done that in a million years!

According to our teacher question 12 was not part of the syllabus!
Original post by whylime
According to our teacher question 12 was not part of the syllabus!

What, the chain rule? :confused: Even the context itself is explicitly mentioned as acceptable at Higher: "Rates of change (equations of motion, for example) are often expressed with respect to time. Work should include other rates, eg rate of change of volume of a sphere with respect to radius."

My feeling is that it was probably quite hard for an Advanced Higher, in terms of problem solving, but you certainly know all the maths you need to. The calculations themselves aren't even particularly difficult.
Reply 1630
What, the chain rule? :confused: Even the context itself is explicitly mentioned as acceptable at Higher: "Rates of change (equations of motion, for example) are often expressed with respect to time. Work should include other rates, eg rate of change of volume of a sphere with respect to radius."

My feeling is that it was probably quite hard for an Advanced Higher, in terms of problem solving, but you certainly know all the maths you need to. The calculations themselves aren't even particularly difficult.

I managed to answer the question however I am just saying that our Maths teacher said it is not part of the syllabus. He was surprised it came up.
Original post by whylime
I managed to answer the question however I am just saying that our Maths teacher said it is not part of the syllabus. He was surprised it came up.

Sure, and I'm just saying I disagree with him :p:
Reply 1632
Will anyone set up a similar thread to this for advanced higher 2012/13?

Original post by nole81
Will anyone set up a similar thread to this for advanced higher 2012/13?

You? :p: There's nothing special about this thread, it was just started by someone at the same stage you are at.
Reply 1634
Same stage as me? I'm a teacher. :-)

Original post by nole81

Yeah. We learn fast you see. :redface:
Original post by nole81

Whoops, thoroughly managed to miss the clues in username and avatar. Sorry about that! :p:
Statistics Paper:

Ah, sorry they aren't rotated. I rotated them but obviously it didn't want to haha.

My apologies, 212 is correct.

Ive converted them to a single pdf as best I can -optimised for TSR upload limits..
if you want to TeX the workings ill add a pdf for that here!
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes I do. I can upload that too if you want?

Also here's my answers/marking scheme for Section B. I checked the ones I can on my calculator/wolframalpha so I think they are alright. I think my answers to B3 are okay?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OE7wh1jW6sXj83x786QGW_nibUSEtSLegnOJV7Qt_H8/edit

full marks to you and all credit to laughylolly...
AHM2012_Applied paper n soln. - Converted to pdf -the scan was not that great but well done on TeX answers.

Quote this link as: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=37871180&postcount=1643
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tomctutor
full marks to you and all credit to laughylooly...
AHM2012_Applied paper n soln. - Converted to pdf -the scan was not that great but well done on TeX answers.

Quote this link as: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=37871180&postcount=1643

Oh cool and no problem! =)

Latest

Trending

Trending