The Student Room Group

Experience with Citalopram?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
I have been prescribed 10mg of Citalopram for general anxiety and panic disorder and have been taking it for 3 days now.
I know it is probably too soon to know how it is going to help me in the long term but at the moment I feel absolutely terrible on it. I just feel like I have the hangover from hell that just won't go away! I just feel slow, zoned out and headachy.
It hasn't helped my anxiety at all so far either.

My doctor also prescribed my 80mg of propranolol for my panic attacks which I haven't taken yet.

I'm just feeling so incredibly shoddy and don't know what else to expect from these pills? My doctor said we will review in 4 weeks time. Has anyone else here ever been on Citalopram?

Did it got any better for you or is it likely I'm going to be feeling this crap for 4 weeks? :frown:

Thank

Today is my fourth day of taking Citalopram, and I feel dreadful..I wasn't sure if the tablets were even in my system to take effect yet but they must be, because I feel like I've got a terrible hangover too.. the doctor did say that could happen to start with..I hope it gets better.

Now it's been over a week since you started taking them have you noticed any improvement?
Reply 21
Different drugs suit different people. I changed over to 10mg Citalopram last week and have no side effects from it (+ no effects at all but this isn't surprising). Not for anxiety for major depression. I'm hoping to double to 20mg next friday. I say battle on for another week and if it's still giving you effects switch to something else.
(edited 12 years ago)
nausea, ergh.
Reply 23
I have been on it for 4 months now, and I can tell if it's helping or not - I am happier for longer, but when I get down, im really down :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by beccah
Today is my fourth day of taking Citalopram, and I feel dreadful..I wasn't sure if the tablets were even in my system to take effect yet but they must be, because I feel like I've got a terrible hangover too.. the doctor did say that could happen to start with..I hope it gets better.

Now it's been over a week since you started taking them have you noticed any improvement?

Yes I have :smile: I am not feeling 100% perfect just yet but I am feeling atleast 80% there which is a fast improvement considering at the start I felt so dreadful!

The fog has seemed to have cleared a lot and I am feeling able to focus (finally!) which is good seeing as I have an exam tommorow.

My headaches have stopped as well which I am relieved about!

Give it a bit more time and see if it improves for you. I was so close to quitting on my 4th day but I'm glad I gave them a chance.

Also, general question to everyone who has taken citalopram for a considerable length of time. Have any of you experience weight gain as a side effect? I did a bit of googling and a lot of people were convinced citalopram was causing them to pile the weight on. Was curious if anyone had experienced this?
Also, general question to everyone who has taken citalopram for a considerable length of time. Have any of you experience weight gain as a side effect? I did a bit of googling and a lot of people were convinced citalopram was causing them to pile the weight on. Was curious if anyone had experienced this?

Whilst I haven't experienced this with citalopram I have with other similar drugs. What you gotta do is just watch what you eat, the main weight gaining is done not because it messes up your metabolism but because it makes you hungry as ****. Snack on fruit and do a bit extra exercise and you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 26
Yes I have :smile: I am not feeling 100% perfect just yet but I am feeling atleast 80% there which is a fast improvement considering at the start I felt so dreadful!

The fog has seemed to have cleared a lot and I am feeling able to focus (finally!) which is good seeing as I have an exam tommorow.

My headaches have stopped as well which I am relieved about!

Give it a bit more time and see if it improves for you. I was so close to quitting on my 4th day but I'm glad I gave them a chance.

Thanks :redface: I'm definitely feel like my mind is just a haze, well, more so than usual than anyway... I was meant to be at the uni library at 12...still only half dressed.
I will persevere though as you've noticed an improvement it's inspiring me to continue :smile: fingers crossed

When I took Fluoxetine a few years back I did have an increase in appetite, put on a little bit of weight as a result but after a few months it subsided. But atm on the Citalopram I have no appetite at all..but give it a few weeks and we shall see its full effects

Edit: by the way good luck for your exam!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Cinamon
Different drugs suit different people. I changed over to 10mg Citalopram last week and have no side effects from it (+ no effects at all but this isn't surprising). Not for anxiety for major depression. I'm hoping to double to 20mg next friday. I say battle on for another week and if it's still giving you effects switch to something else.

Ok quoting myself because I said I had no effects earlier and then passed out about an hour ago.
Reply 28
Original post by Sabertooth
Whilst I haven't experienced this with citalopram I have with other similar drugs. What you gotta do is just watch what you eat, the main weight gaining is done not because it messes up your metabolism but because it makes you hungry as ****. Snack on fruit and do a bit extra exercise and you'll be fine. :smile:

Ok that's good to hear! I was worried that it had an ability to interfere with metabolism/thyroid function or something serious like that...

Original post by beccah
Thanks :redface: I'm definitely feel like my mind is just a haze, well, more so than usual than anyway... I was meant to be at the uni library at 12...still only half dressed.
I will persevere though as you've noticed an improvement it's inspiring me to continue :smile: fingers crossed

When I took Fluoxetine a few years back I did have an increase in appetite, put on a little bit of weight as a result but after a few months it subsided. But atm on the Citalopram I have no appetite at all..but give it a few weeks and we shall see its full effects

Edit: by the way good luck for your exam!

I'm sure the side effects will wear off in the next few days. I had zero appetite during the first 5 days or so but it is back to normal now :smile: Let us know how you feel on them in the next couple of days!

And thanks :smile: x

Original post by Cinamon
Ok quoting myself because I said I had no effects earlier and then passed out about an hour ago.

That sounds worrying :/
Hope you are ok and it doesn't happen again. I'd get to the doctors asap to get checked out
Let us know how you get on... :smile:
Reply 29

That sounds worrying :/
Hope you are ok and it doesn't happen again. I'd get to the doctors asap to get checked out
Let us know how you get on... :smile:

I'll ring my doctor if it happens again definately.

I really hope the side effects wear off for you and you are feeling better soon :smile: I'll keep you posted too:smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Cinamon
I'll ring my doctor if it happens again definately.

I really hope the side effects wear off for you and you are feeling better soon :smile: I'll keep you posted too:smile:

My friend used to black out on citalopram. She collapsed with her head in the toliet one day, luckily I was with her at the time and the security man had a broom handy to unluck the toliet cubicle with :tongue:

Its not a normal side effect and if you're experiencing it, you need either a different drug or a different dosage.

Please do go to the doctor if it happens again, it didn't get any better for my friend and she suffered with it for months.
Reply 31
Original post by Tericon
My friend used to black out on citalopram. She collapsed with her head in the toliet one day, luckily I was with her at the time and the security man had a broom handy to unluck the toliet cubicle with :tongue:

Its not a normal side effect and if you're experiencing it, you need either a different drug or a different dosage.

Please do go to the doctor if it happens again, it didn't get any better for my friend and she suffered with it for months.

Thank you - i'm not sure whether I passed out from the drug of from a stressful event. I don't feel much different now, so i'll be very careful :smile:
Reply 32
guys today after a 4 days of citalopram I have experienced massively high anxiety and inability to cope/feeling like i'm going mad/suicidal. This started last night and has lasted all day and is a MASSIVE contrast to yesterday ... should I keep going with the pills and ride it through or stop taking them????

I would ask my doctor but the surgery is now closed until tuesday
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Cinamon
guys today after a 4 days of citalopram I have experienced massively high anxiety and inability to cope/feeling like i'm going mad/suicidal. This started last night and has lasted all day and is a MASSIVE contrast to yesterday ... should I keep going with the pills and ride it through or stop taking them????

Only you know how bad you are feeling.
On my first days I felt heightened anxiety and shakey. I just chose to sleep through it and see it through. I wanted to give the tablets a chance. The anxiety did subside. But if you feel can't cope then don't force yourself to stay on them. Especially if you are getting suicidal feelings.
Let us know how you get on :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Cinamon

Hey how are you feeling now? Did you perservere or stop taking them?
I'm having that too, it's awful, but I've been told it will do that for the first couple of weeks...WEEKS I KNOW :frown:

I'm starting to get horrific headaches on one side of my temple every day now.
I hope this wears off..

I think when I go to the docs in two weeks I may ask to up it to 20mg as at the moment I don't feel like 10mg will be enough.

How is everyone finding it? Please let me know!
I took it many years ago and it gave me severe headaches so i stopped taking it :P
Reply 36
Original post by beccah
Hey how are you feeling now? Did you perservere or stop taking them?
I'm having that too, it's awful, but I've been told it will do that for the first couple of weeks...WEEKS I KNOW :frown:

I'm starting to get horrific headaches on one side of my temple every day now.
I hope this wears off..

I think when I go to the docs in two weeks I may ask to up it to 20mg as at the moment I don't feel like 10mg will be enough.

How is everyone finding it? Please let me know!

Hey hun :smile: I perservered with them and i'm really glad I did. It's only been around 8 days on them, and the high anxiety has lowered quite a lot. Now i'm not sure whether that is because of the drug or the fact that now I don't have another exam until the 15th and my sister has been really really good at helping me calm down.

A lot can change in 2 weeks hun so just see how it goes :smile:
Reply 37
Hi am new to this site hav been on citalopram twice b4 an just started back on them am onto day 4 an feel like givin up don't remeber feeling this bad my minds on overdrive feel sick can't eat an am all hazy plus feel like am gonna go mad an out of control feelin then followed by a massive panic attack cos it scares me that much really don't remeber them ever bein this bad shud I giv up cos don't no how long this feeeling will last ?
Reply 38
Original post by fifi
Hi am new to this site hav been on citalopram twice b4 an just started back on them am onto day 4 an feel like givin up don't remeber feeling this bad my minds on overdrive feel sick can't eat an am all hazy plus feel like am gonna go mad an out of control feelin then followed by a massive panic attack cos it scares me that much really don't remeber them ever bein this bad shud I giv up cos don't no how long this feeeling will last ?

I had exactly this on day 4 too. Unless you think you are going to harm yourself/others (like crash your car or something) then I say stick with it until at least day 10, and by that time your body might have balanced it out a bit more.

If you are really worried i'm sure you can make a phone consultation with your GP or something?
Reply 39
Had it doubled to 20mg and also on propanolol. How is everyone doing.

Quick Reply

Latest