The Student Room Group

Unsure: CompSci/Conversion/PostGrad

Hi all,

I graduated with a French degree (high 2:2) a few years ago. Afterwards, I went to South America and realised that actually, my passion lay in computing. As a result I enrolled on an uncredited, 2-year technical computer course which finishes this year.

The course taught me Java, .Net, J2EE, PHP, Networks, SQL, and J2ME - so as you can see it's very language-orientated and contains little to no theory. Also, the topics aren't covered in that much depth, so I have to supplement it with self-study.

Anyway, on to the question - what is my next step? After this course, I want to continue my studies in England. However, I have absolutely no idea what kind of course to go for.

Obviously my dream would be to study CompSci as an undergraduate, but the stupid ELQ funding fees would, I imagine, render that impossible. On the other hand, looking through the conversion course syllabuses it seems like I've already covered a lot of the material. I don't want to spend a year re-doing what I've already done.

I guess the other option is a full-on post-grad course, if I can convince some university that my studies over here count the same as a four-year CompSci course (unlikely, plus I'd be competing against people with a higher level of education that me). So what can I do? It seems like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place!

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
You can definitely get accepted into a conversion course, but there's a chance that you might already know most of the contents of the course.

I would suggest applying for postgraduate software engineering courses, and write a good CV and personal statement so that they can be convinced that you know the basics of computer science. Don't worry there are many people like you who go directly to software engineering without studying computer science in their undergraduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending