The Student Room Group

People who dont thank you !!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tface
I don't personally but I have had it done to me and haven't cared whatsoever, it's just a word, people will either feel gratitude or not, them saying thank you means nothing.

So you do barge through doors without saying thanks?

By that token, why ever bother with manners?

The point of saying thanks is that, for minimal effort, you let helpful drivers know that their kindness is appreciated. People don't set massive store by being thanked, but if it happens less often, they feel that no-one is grateful when they are let in, so fewer people get let in.
Reply 21
Original post by Landie_Man
For some reason it always seems to be women

I've found the opposite. But maybe women are more likely to thank other women than a man in a landrover? :dontknow:
Reply 22
Reply 23
Original post by michael321
So you do barge through doors without saying thanks?

By that token, why ever bother with manners?

The point of saying thanks is that, for minimal effort, you let helpful drivers know that their kindness is appreciated. People don't set massive store by being thanked, but if it happens less often, they feel that no-one is grateful when they are let in, so fewer people get let in.

No, I am polite, I just don't really care if people I don't even know aren't. I don't think that people let others out just for the warm feeling when a hand is raised above a steering wheel :tongue:
Reply 24
Expect full beams then... It's ungrateful why wouldn't you thank someone for their time. I find it's lorry drivers who are the legends who say thanks and actually let you out.

So... you plan to blind people which is against the highway code for folk who don't moronically wave at you which isn't in the highway code?

I thought you were a bit brighter than that...
Reply 25
I wouldnt actually do it, It was just something I said mid rant as you do. Its just annoying that ive wasted diesel and brake drum surface on ungrateful idiots!
Reply 26
It's life.
Happens most of the time, I have found that the majority of times I have let people out they do thank me for it however on the odd occasion they don't. If I see a Land Rover and suitable to do so will let them out because I am a Landy enthusiast, I will also let some other 4X4's out.
Reply 28
YAY! Legend
Reply 29
I always make a point to thank people that deliberately do something nice, and yes, it is incredibly annoying, For once, I completely agree with someone else's opinion. I must be going soft...
Reply 30
This is really starting to piss me the hell off, I slow down and let people out all the time and rarely get thanked. It makes my blood boil, yet I'm never let out!

Driving a 4x4 has its moments, people cut you up, pull out across you, dont let you out at junctions... But that comes with the territory, its that Ive wasted my time letting people out and they dont show their gratification!!!!!!

I got told off when I was up north a lot! I have found southerners don't do it as much!

After I got told off I say thank you all the time!
I always make a point of thanking someone if they give way to me etc - it may not be in the highway code but it is in Roadcraft and it is taught by many instructors.
Original post by tface
No, I am polite, I just don't really care if people I don't even know aren't. I don't think that people let others out just for the warm feeling when a hand is raised above a steering wheel :tongue:

But plenty of others do care.

If someone doesn't say thanks to me, I don't get out of the car and yell at them. And I appreciate that sometimes people are busy with gears/steering/whatever, and fair enough.

But I do like to be thanked generally, and so do most people. I really see no difference, in terms of politeness, between holding a door open for someone, and letting them out of a junction onto a busy road. And the response to each action should also be the same.

All I'm saying is that, while the world won't end if a few people don't show their gratitude, the roads would run smoother, and more people would get let out, if more people bothered to say thanks every now and again.

Just my two cents.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Any appreciation or actual acknowledgement of me being on my motorbike is a feckin' godsend. I think I'm pretty curteous as a road user but it astounds me that the number of ignorant and ungrateful people is so high.

A little bit of love and appreciation goes a long way. I'm not saying we should buy roses and chocolates and serenade each other with Frank Sinatra everytime one of us says thanks but it'd sure make the world a damn sight happier place to live in.
i dont see the point in waving thank you like a moron while driving my car, thats pretty stupid, drive off with one hand on the wheel looking at another driver waving at them, really bright.
Reply 35
It may not be in the highway code to wave, but good manners cost nothing.

It's annoying when you wait a while for them and they don't acknowledge you, but that's life.

What irritates me is the amount of people that are driving around with one light out and think it's ok. Quite dangerous actually.
Reply 36
Original post by JC.
So... you plan to blind people which is against the highway code for folk who don't moronically wave at you which isn't in the highway code?

I thought you were a bit brighter than that...

Most of the things that separate good drivers from mediocre drivers aren't in the highway code. Doesn't mean we shouldn't still do them.

No wonder you complain about other drivers being inconsiderate and incompetent, its because they're pissed off at your fundamental lack of basic motoring courtesy and are probably deliberately trying to piss you off in return. No-one likes pricks in BMWs, I guess that extends to MGs as well now.

btw, why are you "underneath" an MG V8? Are you in the process of being run over by one?
You think you've got it bad? Try saving the world and never getting thanked. It's a tiny bit irritating, as you can imagine.
Reply 38
Original post by py0alb
Most of the things that separate good drivers from mediocre drivers aren't in the highway code. Doesn't mean we shouldn't still do them.

No wonder you complain about other drivers being inconsiderate and incompetent, its because they're pissed off at your fundamental lack of basic motoring courtesy and are probably deliberately trying to piss you off in return. No-one likes pricks in BMWs, I guess that extends to MGs as well now.

btw, why are you "underneath" an MG V8? Are you in the process of being run over by one?

Waving at all and sundry, does not, a better driver make.
Reply 39
Original post by Forever a Gnome
It's supposed to be dangerous and stuff, I dunno.
I'm only learning though, whenever I try and thank people my instructor yells at me for not concentrating on the road/keeping to the code.

Mine waves for me. He tells me not to worry about it when I'm in a lesson. I always thank people in my own car, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending