The Student Room Group

Hardest GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Child development. worst subject EVER
infact it put me OFF having kids, if i see another woman in labour i may die.

art was pretty tough because i started the course 2 months late, so i had a hell of a lot to catch up on.

geogpraphy the coursework bored me to death.

same with food

study skills however, not thats a subject everyone should take. i mean what other subject can you play scrabble in for an hour and get praise of your teacher :')
I guess English if you aren't naturally good at it as there is little you can do in terms of revision/regurgitation.
Reply 22
All are equally easy.
Reply 23
In reality, maybe a language with a new script for content. I don't believe they're useful though. I know loads of people who did a language at GCSE and even A Level and have now forgotten how to speak it.

English Lit. for the talent required.

History for the limited time you have in exam. And the large content.

Maybe Economics.
Reply 24
Original post by Elissabeth
As no-one ever, ever uses it for anything, its highly unlikely you will need it for anything in the future. No-one ever does it for A-level.

You could just not do it and they'll probably kick you out of the subject, but who cares?

No, no-one in our school did it for A-level.
Wish I did, would've been a relatively easy qualification I think-.-
Original post by BenH
Well there all COMPLETE piss
but i suppose english literature/latin?
(or old language spec)

No surprise about the failing English then?
Original post by WelshDragon23
Have you already seen all of your results then?

haha yeah, I have, I'm an A-level student now :wink: It was tricky trying to get into my subjects with only 4 GCSE's but they were all B's and in good/tough subjects; Physics, Biology, English and ICT, so they let me in the end. I would have entered as a private candidate either way.

But it is something you definitely learn at A-level, that GCSE's are a lot easier than they seem/feel when you're doing them.

I think the thing is, with GCSE's, you limit yourself to school and proportion it as "difficult" from there. To get a real perspective, you have to step back and ask yourself; "am I giving 6 hours of home-time a weekday to studying, and am I following the syllabus EXACTLY and in an organized way (efficient organized "ticking off" of the syllabus material and being able to recall it spontaneously)?" When you start taking that approach and mentally adjust yourself so that it seems like the "totally normal" thing to be doing, you'll quickly realise that the GCSE's will become mind-numbingly easy.

It's not as difficult as it sounds, and that's essentially what you do at A-level if you want an A. When you're in Primary School, the workload of GCSEs seems daunting, but you adopt it easy as hell when you move up to Secondary School. It's the same at every stage of the ladder, so I try to approach my A-levels as if I were doing a degree to get the one-up mentality :wink:
Reply 27
Latin *pukes*
Additional science...
Reply 29
Art wasn't hard but was soooo horrible and stressful, bane of my life, so glad it's over!
Reply 30
Original post by Baddream
I was just wondering, what do you guys think the hardest GCSE is?
I know they're probably nothing compared to A-Levels but I just wanted to know :biggrin:

Chemistry and Maths - they're those kinds of subjects that you just have to get or waste your life getting to grips with, and if you don't then you suck at them. I spent 2 months revising Maths and got an A; I never got chemistry and ot a C (but did double science and got a BB in the end)

The english-es and history for me were piss, I did like no revision for them and got A*s

Funny, my brothers gone to study chemistry whilst I'm gonna study English Lang and lit at uni 8)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
I'll second Art. It's great if you enoy it, but still a lot of work and it can be surprisingly stressful!
Also Latin. So much vocab and so many lines of dreary prose and verse that you have to be entirely fluent with, and you must understand random passages in an instant - also the exams are sooo pushed for time. :frown:
Reply 32
I agree Food Technology, DT and Art are the most time-consuming (even though I didn't take any of them) because they have so much coursework!
For English, you either know it or you don't which is what makes it hard because you can't really revise for it as well as well as other subjects.
And languages are hard.

I've never seen anybody do those other subjects such as Astronomy or Russian Literature so those might be the hardest
Reply 33
English literature, by far. I get so angry when I see the poet has written random words on a page, and then somehow it's supposed to be all about "themes" and "subtext" and other bull****. And then you're supposed to put it in this essay following waffly subjective mark schemes. If there is one subject that I could have dropped by now it would be that.
But then I find Maths and Physics really simple. I guess that's just how my mind works.
Original post by WelshDragon23
Apparently Welsh is difficult, I wouldn't know, I have always spoken it :biggrin:

Welsh is incredibly easy. I got an A, despite never doing any work and barely being able to speak Welsh. This is for two reasons:

- The teachers basically help you cheat through the coursework. For the conversation pieces they'll put the script on the table, so if you can read upside down you can't fail. For the writing ones they'll just tell you exactly what you need to write, and decorate the room with helpful posters. I've been told this isn't just my school and that it's fairly commonplace.

- For the exams, because no one can actually speak Welsh properly the grade boundaries are incredibly low. So you only have to be able to speak a tiny bit of Welsh to get a good grade. Most of my exam was taken up by saying 'I like this' and 'I don't like this'. It is also OK to qualify liking something with 'because it's great'.
Reply 35
I haven't found any particulary mind boggling hard, but hardest out of the ones I did is probably French and English cause I'm crap at that sort of stuff. Gimme a chemistry exam any day! :biggrin:
Any GCSE with controlled assessment
Reply 37
Languages are probably the hardest for me, I'm terrible at them :biggrin:. I would have taken German though at GCSE if I could.

Out of the ones I'm good at, History is hard for the amount of content and exam technique - for example in 'source' questions on paper one you can't get above a couple of marks out of 7 if you aren't specific enough in what the message is. If the message is clear then they're probably the easiest questions on the paper though.

I suppose English is hard if you aren't naturally good at it - I'm terrified that I'll not be able to write as well as I can in mocks and things on the actual day. :L
Reply 38
I would think foreign languages as a branch of subjects are rather hard
Reply 39
DT Graphics was extremely time consuming. They're all pretty easy though.

Quick Reply

Latest