The Student Room Group

Hardest GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

My hardest GCSE's were English Language and Spanish. Conversely, easiest was science.
Art because it takes over your life and the grade boundaries are ridiculously high, Latin because you have to do language, literature and classical civilisation but it's not that hard if you like languages, there's just a lot of it.
Latin.
Having said that, I didn't revise for it as much as I could have.
ICT is hard, mainly cuz it's BORING, but I still did okay for it.
Really depends on the person
For me its english literature!
Real pain
Textiles was definitely the most time consuming.

History was quite hard because we had a dodgy teacher for year 11.

Sciences were easy because they were modular and you could revise solely from the revision guides and get A*s/full UMS marks in each one.
I struggled with foreign languages i had to work hard towards the end of the year to scrape a C!

Reply 46
Art just because it took so much time, and the grade boundaries are so high, trust me, not an easy option.
Original post by PonchoKid
Child development. worst subject EVER
infact it put me OFF having kids, if i see another woman in labour i may die.

art was pretty tough because i started the course 2 months late, so i had a hell of a lot to catch up on.

geogpraphy the coursework bored me to death.

Child development....if I had known that the coursework was pain relief....I would have ran a mile and into the arms of French...that coursework wanted to make me die...the child study, anyone who even tried to make the thing up would soon find a really bad grade at the end.

Geography I really did enjoy doing the coursework so can't say I agree :tongue:
Reply 48
Original post by Hazular
Food Tech. Purely because the coursework is SO BORING and takes BLOODY FOREVER.
And I had a two hour exam about eggs.

Hard because it's boring and you want to kill it. Not because of the content :tongue:

Thank You!!! Someone who understands how I feel towards food tech.
Everytime I try to explain to my friends why food tech is hard, they say, 'nah' or 'that's not possible, it's about food, innit? The coursework took me from the beginning of October 2009 to May 2011 lol. On the other hand, Geography took me 3 weeks tops.

Right now, I am preparing for an exam that is supposed to be on snacks and dips. I mean, seriously? I have to research various types of snacks and what dips go with them...I must have been drunk when I picked that subject.

No one pick food tech. If you want to pick it because you love food...like I did...it's still not a good enough reason. You're better off picking something else.
Music if you can't play an instrument I would think. Also art and drama if you are crap at it
Reply 50
The old AQA Economics spec was the hardest by far. It was an INSANE paper, two and a half hours long. I managed the A* in the end and AS Economics seems a breeze.
Reply 51
child development, hhealth and social care and english lang + lit

easiest:
-bio, chem + physics, maths annd history :smile:
Reply 52
Latin
Languages, English Lit/Lang, History.

The rest are pretty much piss easy...
For me English language + Literature (Me and English don't get along)
Or Btec Art because of the amount of crap you have to do to get distinction*, I wasted my Summer holiday and all of July doing my art history timeline (And I mean ALL of my summer holdiay - I even took my pictures with me to France for my holiday so I could get my transcriptions done). The timeline ended up being over 20 feet long.

Easiest:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths

But I'm naturally good at Maths and the sciences, so thats to be expected.
Original post by Dark_angel_hime
Child development....if I had known that the coursework was pain relief....I would have ran a mile and into the arms of French...that coursework wanted to make me die...the child study, anyone who even tried to make the thing up would soon find a really bad grade at the end.

Geography I really did enjoy doing the coursework so can't say I agree :tongue:

i liked child development, until year 11 when we got a new teacher. who didnt like me. got me into trouble pretty much every lesson.
we got a new teacher. he first lesson with me, i went to do my coursework, and she sent out a search party for me... so they decided to take me out of the lesson. i then liked it again....
that coursework however was horrible! it was so boring aswell...

i didnt mind the coursework, but counting cars driving past when its peeing it down isnt my idea of fun, or counting how many cars are in a car park and where there from isnt either...
i enjoyed the lessons though...
Reply 56
The edexcel history couse B (german and russian history, ww1 and ww2) is apparently notoriously difficult for a GCSE.

Languages are always generally quite hard because everyone is always as it's so hard to revise and you have to special to have flair in all the skills.

Essay based questions can be a bit touchy because if you get a question you like then everythings fine, if you get one you don't like then you're screwed even if you're actually very good at literature/history/philosophy whatever.

Maths because it's one of those subjects that you either get or don't. However if you can do, it's fairly easy to remeber because it's like riding a bike. If you can't get your head around it (like me) it can be a nightmare.

Ohhh and art because even if you put in all the time in the world, if you have no talent you won't do very well. And it takes up sooooo much time that it inevitably distracts from your other subjects.
music! the course is completely random and useless, and you have to compose two pieces by yourself...and the listening exam is hardddd unless you have perfect pitch!
Reply 58
English Lit when I was studying GCSE's.. Couldn't stand the subject.
Reply 59
Maths and French.
Maths because some of the A* work is quite hard to grasp, but definitely not the A grade work and lower.
French, its just so hard.

Quick Reply

Latest