The Student Room Group

Hardest GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Completely depends on you personally, but I hated Chemistry and Physics (my brain is not programmed to like/be good at those subjects!), and History was tricky in the sense that there was a hell of a lot to remember. I didn't pick Art unlike the majority of my year, but the amount of effort, time and work they had to put in was ridiculous.
Edexcel Drama:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

To get an A* you can only drop 3 mark over the WHOLE course, that's including coursework and your exam ( which is a live performance) The amount of time you have to give up to do coursework and rehearse for your final performance is insane!

And yet I'm doing it at A-Level! :s-smilie:
Reply 102
English Literature.

Curse those poems! :frown:
Reply 103
ART: you can only drop like 2 marks throughout the whole thing?!
ENGLISH: ... well this doesn't even need explaining.
and graphics.. just tooooooo much work! :frown:
Reply 104
Spanish -.- I am just generally rubbish at languages. I'm doing it at college instead of an AS in 1 year, my listening exam is tomorrow and I'm actually gonna fail! So hard to learn a language in so little time :tongue:
Graphic Products. It was a nightmare. Somehow I got a B.
History+Geography.....so much learning.
Reply 107
like most people on here, i'd have to say it is art hands down.
It takes waaay too much time, effort and even then, getting above a b is almost impossible. Me and my friend are both decent to good talent wise but we kept getting tld we are just off an a.
oh and then whenever you tell anyone you do the subject you get a look as if they think yu are an idiot.
history is supposed to be hard but once you learn the trick to it it becomes a lot easier
Modern World History - so much content! British society should be okay as it's more about how you answer the question rather than content, bit iffy on America, but international relations is where things are destined to go tits up.

Chemistry - Newly qualified teachers should not be allowed to teach GCSEs or A-Level, and that is a fact.

Art - Simply because of all the work involved! Still got my timeline/annotations to do... oops.

D&T - Forced to do it, hated it from the beginning, so much work. I fail to understand why my school think I'll try in a subject that I hate, and have told them that I hate for the past 3 years.
I can't say I've struggled with many. If I had to pick one that I've found hardest it'd be Geography because we have a crap teacher.
History history history - history all the way!

you need knowledge, you need to be able to write essays and you need luck that the questions that come up, you can actually answer (and for the grade boundaries to be low)!

Then probably a language because there's a lot involved
Law...
Reply 112
English or Art or DT!
Reply 113
I'd have to say Double Award Science and Math. These subjects basically killed my experience.
Original post by ktlaurenroe

Art - Simply because of all the work involved! Still got my timeline/annotations to do... oops.

My timeline took me all of July and August of last year (yes my summer holidays :frown:) doing a minimum of 3 hours a day (except for 2 weeks in france, where I settled for a transcription a day), so I really hope that you're in year 10 and have a year to go.
Anyways, good luck with getting it done :smile:
Original post by George K
My timeline took me all of July and August of last year (yes my summer holidays :frown:) doing a minimum of 3 hours a day (except for 2 weeks in france, where I settled for a transcription a day), so I really hope that you're in year 10 and have a year to go.
Anyways, good luck with getting it done :smile:

haha, I'm in year 11 :frown: I've only been doing the course since September too. Better get cracking on it, the amount of work I have left is quite scary haha :| but poor you, that sounds like way too much work! haha, must have been good. :smile:
English as a fifth language. I had to learn 'Hello', 'Goodbye' and 'Give me your money or I hit you'. It was so difficult, I scraped a C.
Reply 117
Original post by Hazular
Food Tech. Purely because the coursework is SO BORING and takes BLOODY FOREVER.
And I had a two hour exam about eggs.

Hard because it's boring and you want to kill it. Not because of the content :tongue:

This. Spent twice the amount of time on food tech than any other subject. :s-smilie:
Design & Technology.

I would give my left testicle to be able to go back and choose a different subject. Worked ridiculously hard on the coursework and still only got a C, and there is a 2 hour exam on types of f***ing wood.
Design RM has been the bane of my life for the last 2 yrs. Coursework is a pain, exam is insanely hard, and the only good part is the satisfaction of building a good product.

Quick Reply

Latest