The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology 7/6/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by stayd001
So, how is everyone revising?
I've found holah.co.uk and ThePsychologyTeacher quite useful but there is just so much to remember! According to my teacher it is likely that Reicher and Haslam, Maguire, and Sperry to come up in section B.

Some of the studies i.e Savage Rumbaugh and Sperry are so hard to remember as there is so much detail!

Yeah totally agree about Savage Rumbaugh and Sperry. I found holah is the best website for these two studies, just getting your head around all the facts and details!
Original post by kkate1212
dreading this exam :frown: got so much still do do for it.
my teachers think that milgram, reicher and haslam and piliavin will come up, what do others think?
i hope milgram does:smile:

as for section c i know that they can't ask 2 perspectives just 2 approaches or a perspective and an approach. so im hoping developmental come up..

i got an A in Jan so would like another in this..

Milgram and Reicher and Haslam are such badass studies.
But I doubt they would put 2 social approach in one paper...
Maguire and Reicher & Haslam have never come up for a section B, so I'll wager at least one of them will this time.
Samuel & Bryant and Loftus & Palmer have come up twice so I'll wager that they won't come up.

Similarly, for section C, the Social, Individual Differences and Physiological perspectives have all come up twice, so I'd doubt they'll come up.
That leaves the Psychodynamic and Behaviourist perspectives and the Cognitive and Developmental approaches. Since we've been told to avoid the perspectives like the plague, I'll be revising Cognitive and Developmental in depth. I think I'll be better at Cognitive, cos that was what we learnt first, when we were bright eyed and bushy-tailed, entusiastic psychology students (oh how things have changed).
Reply 23
The A2 Approaches and Research methods includes, as the title suggests, an approach. The approach this year was developmental which may lessen its chances for a relapse this june.

Im currently doing the A2, and i got a U in january so am retaking it this summer; I thought that it went realllllllly well, but evidently not!

Hope that helps?
Original post by stayd001
According to my teacher it is likely that Reicher and Haslam, Maguire, and Sperry to come up in section B.

My teacher spoke to the chief examier, and she said that every year, the 3 studies in section B are electronically selected on the computer, so we don't have a clue what's gonna come up. For example, Loftus and Palmer has come up twice.

Hence why we cannot afford to pick and choose when revising!

Praying Maguire comes up in section B - really like this one!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
How's everybody's revision going? :smile:

Yesterday I went though all of the social and developmental studies (damn you Reicher and Haslam!) and then answered a ton of questions on them. Luckily I have a really good psychology teacher and he has made booklets for every question that's ever come up in each section.
Reply 26
Original post by louiseyoung
My teacher spoke to the chief examier, and she said that every year, the 3 studies in section B are electronically selected on the computer, so we don't have a clue what's gonna come up. For example, Loftus and Palmer has come up last June and this Jan.

That sucks. Well as long as Sperry or Savage Rumbaugh doesn't come up I should be fine :tongue:

I hate Maguire! How do you remember the findings? i.e there was an increased amount of grey matter in the left and right hippocampi of taxi driver.

Section a has to be my least favorite though, it's too specific.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by louiseyoung
My teacher spoke to the chief examier, and she said that every year, the 3 studies in section B are electronically selected on the computer, so we don't have a clue what's gonna come up. For example, Loftus and Palmer has come up twice.

Hence why we cannot afford to pick and choose when revising!

Praying Maguire comes up in section B - really like this one!

The only thing is, if it is electronically picked, the 3 studys have got to have something in common so that the questions can be related to all three. Last year the 3 studies to come up one of them was sperry which hadn't come up before, so it should be one of maguire or reicher and haslam somewhere! im hoping maguire comes up!
Hi people!
Now i desperately need your HELP and ADVISE! On something... lol
Right so basically i am completely clueless on the section C stuff , due to missing lessons due to illness and stuff ....
Anyway i need a pyschology book that really covers a good bit about the whole approaches?! Can anyone refer me to a book that can help me out?!
Also how many approaches do you think i should know? To be safe?!
THANK YOU!
Reply 29
To be safe you should learn the five approaches and one of the perspectives (probably Psychodynamic unless you're really confident with Behaviourism) but if you want to live dangerously learn cognitive, developmental and the two perspectives but if two of the other three come up then you're in the proverbial ****.
Plus don't be too worried about section C all you need is an assumption and two strengths and weaknesses for each approach or perspective and then the big ideas and similarities questions just rely on your section A revision. Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by Kequi
To be safe you should learn the five approaches and one of the perspectives (probably Psychodynamic unless you're really confident with Behaviourism) but if you want to live dangerously learn cognitive, developmental and the two perspectives but if two of the other three come up then you're in the proverbial ****.
Plus don't be too worried about section C all you need is an assumption and two strengths and weaknesses for each approach or perspective and then the big ideas and similarities questions just rely on your section A revision. Hope that helped :smile:

Hi Thanks for that
Just to clarify out of the 5 approaches they will give a choice of 3 right? And where does the perspectives come into the exam :s-smilie:

I know, im absoloutly clueless, some would say theres no hope but somewhere in me i think i can pull of a B haha
Also I'm struggling to know which figures im meant to remember and which im not..

E.g in loftus and palmer do i have to remember the findings and average mean estimates for each condition?!?!
Reply 32
Original post by shooby_doo
Hi Thanks for that
Just to clarify out of the 5 approaches they will give a choice of 3 right? And where does the perspectives come into the exam :s-smilie:

I know, im absoloutly clueless, some would say theres no hope but somewhere in me i think i can pull of a B haha

You'll get two options in section C and the two perspectives come into the developmental section, psychodynamic is Freud (and Thigpen and Cleckley to a certain extent) and behaviourism is Bandura (Social Learning Theory).

Also I'm struggling to know which figures im meant to remember and which im not..

E.g in loftus and palmer do i have to remember the findings and average mean estimates for each condition?!?!

In L+P you just need to know the highest and lowest estimates (i.e. 40.8 for Smashed and 31.8 for Contacted) and the number in each condition who thought they saw glass (16-7-6).

So, basically, you just need to know the key results not every single piece of data, but anything above the key data you learn may come in handy in section B.
Original post by Kequi
You'll get two options in section C and the two perspectives come into the developmental section, psychodynamic is Freud (and Thigpen and Cleckley to a certain extent) and behaviourism is Bandura (Social Learning Theory).

In L+P you just need to know the highest and lowest estimates (i.e. 40.8 for Smashed and 31.8 for Contacted) and the number in each condition who thought they saw glass (16-7-6).

So, basically, you just need to know the key results not every single piece of data, but anything above the key data you learn may come in handy in section B.

:colondollar: One more thing im struggling with is the sheer content of the Chimps study :s-smilie: I'm hating it so much im thinking of not learning it all together ...
The tests are so detailed! I dont know where to stop! My page of notes are endless on just this study...
Reply 34
:colondollar: One more thing im struggling with is the sheer content of the Chimps study :s-smilie: I'm hating it so much im thinking of not learning it all together ...
The tests are so detailed! I dont know where to stop! My page of notes are endless on just this study...

just know your aim
know your p's which are two pygmy chimps, two common chips
method: longitydinal study, quasi experiment comparing species(IV) and measuring language acquisition(DV)
the types of communication used: lexigram, pointing boad for outside
know the type of data that was recorded in a fair bit of detail
and know a few results such as the pugmy chimps used the lexigram more specifically e.g to point out food such as banana whereas the noral chips just pointed at food
hopefully this helps a bit
does anyone know where you can get questions and aswers for the core studies
:smile:
Reply 36
Original post by g33
just know your aim
know your p's which are two pygmy chimps, two common chips
method: longitydinal study, quasi experiment comparing species(IV) and measuring language acquisition(DV)
the types of communication used: lexigram, pointing boad for outside
know the type of data that was recorded in a fair bit of detail
and know a few results such as the pugmy chimps used the lexigram more specifically e.g to point out food such as banana whereas the noral chips just pointed at food
hopefully this helps a bit

Thanks ! that was helpful for me too .. i was struggling on that study aswel :biggrin: but also i'm not sure how much and what we need to know for freud and thigpen.. there's so much information.. any help ? :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Mariam8
Thanks ! that was helpful for me too .. i was struggling on that study aswel :biggrin: but also i'm not sure how much and what we need to know for freud and thigpen.. there's so much information.. any help ? :smile:

i can help you with freud as i am good at freud but thigpen is not as good but i can help you a bit:smile:

freud know your aim which in simple terms is to help a little boy with the fear of phobia
know the oedipus complex inside out
know the little hans had a liveely intrest in his "widdler" and his tendency to masturbate brought threats from the mother to cut it off
strong fear of being bitten by white horse, linked to two cases, one where his father said dont put your finger to the white horse or it will bite you, and second when he saw the horse fall down
he showed that he hated his father and loved his mother
freud said litle hans went threw the oedipus complex due to activities such as seduction attempt, taking mother away from father, asking mother to powder his widdler this all shows love for his mother
fear of being bitten by white horse shows the fear of castration by father and the horse symbolises the father
and finally resolution of oedipus complex is shown by little hans wanting to identify with his father when he imagin's his father being the grandfather of his and the mothers kids instead of killing the father.
however the main negative of this study is that the results collected were by little hans's father and he was a big believer in freuds theorys therefore the results may be less validy and also the father used leading questions of little hans :biggrin:

thigpen
i dont know about thigpen as i dont really like the study but what u should do is as there are 3 multiple personality have 2 different bits of paper and write down all the differences you know:s-smilie: sorry cant halp more then that:frown:
Reply 38
Original post by princess271
does anyone know where you can get questions and aswers for the core studies
:smile:

OCR website?
How is revision going guys?
My teacher things maguire, reaicher and haslam and milgram and developmental or cognitive on section c all I'm saying Is I hope they are right!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending