The Student Room Group

A level maths UMS marks!!!

Hey, I just realised something that has changed my life forever (joke!). Ok, today I was looking at this pdf on the aqa site:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UNIFORMMARKS-LEAFLET.PDF
In table one, it says this:

Assuming I got my results and they were:
C1: 80
C2: 80
M1: 80
C3: 90
C4: 90
S1: 80
According to aqa, you get an A* for a level maths if you get those grades. This is confusing because the average is way below 90 and you still get an a*??

Correct me if I am wrong or confirm it if I am right, thanks!!!!! I have more confidence if you confirm it because I can slack for the rest of the year and get my a* :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

its correct for ocr anyway
hope your joking bout the slack thing lol cos it aint easy u might know the stuff but one weird question and some silly mistakes can cost u
Reply 2
Yep to get the A* in maths you need 480 UMS marks, with 180 of them coming in core 3 and 4. So in theory you can get all b's apart from core 3 and 4 and get your A*! :smile:
Original post by Sokka

Correct me if I am wrong or confirm it if I am right, thanks!!!!! I have more confidence if you confirm it because I can slack for the rest of the year and get my a* :tongue:

Yep, you're correct.
I need 27% in stats for my A* :u:
Reply 4
Yeah I agree with you that you will get the A* BUT only if your A2 units i.e. Core 3 and Core 4 have a total combined UMS of 180 and only if you have 320 UMS overall i.e. all units. So if those were the grades/UMS you got for each maths unit then you have definitely got an A* according to the AQA website. Well done! :smile:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yep, you're correct.

Is this the same for further maths? Also in C3 and C4 is it at least 90 UMS in each or an average above? So like would C3 88 C4 95 be an A* ( assuming the rest were over 80)

Also how does it work for other subjects is it just 90 UMS overall including AS and A2 units?
Reply 6
Yep, you're correct.

hahaha OMFG i thought it was 80,80,80,90,90,80, but apparently, it's 75,75,75,90,90,75 OMFGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! im soo not working any more for a level maths :biggrin:
Original post by ilovedubstep
Is this the same for further maths? Also in C3 and C4 is it at least 90 UMS in each or an average above? So like would C3 88 C4 95 be an A* ( assuming the rest were over 80)

Also how does it work for other subjects is it just 90 UMS overall including AS and A2 units?

I don't think it's the same for FM, since you only need to take one pure module. Not 100% on that though, I'm only taking AS FM, so haven't really had any cause to find out.

Yeah, it's an average over the 2 modules. 88 and 95 would get you the A*.
Reply 8
Original post by Madamsabs
Yeah I agree with you that you will get the A* BUT only if your A2 units i.e. Core 3 and Core 4 have a total combined UMS of 180 and only if you have 320 UMS overall i.e. all units. So if those were the grades/UMS you got for each maths unit then you have definitely got an A* according to the AQA website. Well done! :smile:

hahaa those arent the grades im going to get. I did c1/c2 exams in 18th may and I'm hoping for 100 on c1 and 95+ on c2 because of the sheer easiness of them :tongue: I only put 80 for all of them because I was trying to predict what would happen in the worst case scenario, and even that would get me my a*. In my opinion, a* at a level math is too easy, and im in year 11 x]

ok enough bragging sorry for that i tend to get carried away a little. 1 more question:
If I get 95 in all the modules and then somehow I get 85 in C3 and C4, would I still get an a* even if I don't get 180 overall for c3 and c4?? (remember, my overall average for a level math would be 90%+ but the grades for the modules c3/c4 would be 85 ums) thanks!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sokka
hahaha OMFG i thought it was 80,80,80,90,90,80, but apparently, it's 75,75,75,90,90,75 OMFGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! im soo not working any more for a level maths :biggrin:

Um .......yeah......don't get to complacent. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Casshern1456
Um .......yeah......don't get to complacent. :smile:

it's too* complacent :smile:
I don't think it's the same for FM, since you only need to take one pure module. Not 100% on that though, I'm only taking AS FM, so haven't really had any cause to find out.

Yeah, it's an average over the 2 modules. 88 and 95 would get you the A*.

How does it work for other subjects? I always presumed it was if you had an average UMS from AS and A2 above 90.
Original post by Sokka
hahaa those arent the grades im going to get. I did c1/c2 exams in 18th may and I'm hoping for 100 on c1 and 95+ on c2 because of the sheer easiness of them :tongue: I only put 80 for all of them because I was trying to predict what would happen in the worst case scenario, and even that would get me my a*. In my opinion, a* at a level math is too easy, and im in year 11 x]

ok enough bragging sorry for that i tend to get carried away a little. 1 more question:
If I get 95 in all the modules and then somehow I get 85 in C3 and C4, would I still get an a* even if I don't get 180 overall for c3 and c4?? (remember, my overall average for a level math would be 90%+ but the grades for the modules c3/c4 would be 85 ums) thanks!!!

If you got 100% in every module, except for 89% in c3 and c4, you wouldn't get an A*.
Original post by ilovedubstep
How does it work for other subjects? I always presumed it was if you had an average UMS from AS and A2 above 90.

It's just A2 year that counts for other subjects.
So, if you average 70% at AS, and 90% at a2, you'll get an A*.
Reply 14
Original post by Sokka

No unfortunately you can not get an A* grade in A-level Maths if your A2 unit UMS scores do not add up to 180. Also if you read further down the AQA website page there is huge table for the 6 unit Maths A-level and it says:

"In the A-level subject qualification, grade A* is awarded to candidates achieving grade A overall (ie at least 480 uniform marks) and 90% or more of the maximum uniform mark (ie at least 270 uniform marks) on the aggregate of
the three A2 units.
In A-level Mathematics, grade A* is awarded to candidates achieving grade A overall (ie at least 480 uniform marks) and 90 per cent or more of the maximum uniform mark (ie at least 180 uniform marks) on the aggregate of units
MPC3 and MPC4.
In A-level Further Mathematics, grade A* is awarded to candidates achieving grade A overall (ie at least 480 uniform marks) and 90 per cent or more of the maximum uniform mark (ie at least 270 uniform marks) on the
aggregate of their three best A2 units."

So I don't know what your third A2 unit is but you have to also add this third UMS score to Core 3 and Core 4 UMS scores, and this must add up to 270 UMS in order to get an A*. Whilst also achieving 480 UMS overall. Are you actually in year 11??? Are you taking the Mathematics A-level in year 11??? I am in my second year of doing my A-levels and trust me A2 Mathematics is hard core stuff lol (I am doing the AQA A-level Mathematics and I am being predicted a grade B overall), so you must be pretty good a maths to do well in them and get an A* overall! :smile:

Looks like you have to get 90 UMS from either Mechanics 1 or Statistics 1 in order to make up 270 UMS for A2 units and get the A*.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Madamsabs

So I don't know what your third A2 unit is but you have to also add this third UMS score to Core 3 and Core 4 UMS scores, and this must add up to 270 UMS in order to get an A*. Whilst also achieving 480 UMS overall. Are you actually in year 11??? Are you taking the Mathematics A-level in year 11??? I am in my second year of doing my A-levels and trust me A2 Mathematics is hard core stuff lol (I am doing the AQA A-level Mathematics and I am being predicted a grade B overall), so you must be pretty good a maths to do well in them and get an A* overall! :smile:

Looks like you have to get 90 UMS from either Mechanics 1 or Statistics 1 in order to make up 270 UMS for A2 units and get the A*.

None of this is right

The requirments for Maths A level were clear from the original post - 480 UMS in total that includes 180 from C3+C4

Further maths needs at least 480 UMS overall including 270 from any of the best 3 A2 level unit results.
Reply 16
Original post by gdunne42
None of this is right

The requirments for Maths A level were clear from the original post - 480 UMS in total that includes 180 from C3+C4

Further maths needs at least 480 UMS overall including 270 from any of the best 3 A2 level unit results.

yep this is what I thought too, maybe the other person got it confused between further maths and a level maths..
Original post by Sokka

I can't help but think "Ronseal, it does exactly what it says on the tin!". The PDF gives an exact explanation here, there's no two ways about it, just one interpretation! Anyone who fails to understand the basic principles stated here quite frankly shouldn't actually worry about the A* circumstances :smile: Sorry to put it so bluntly.. (negged xD)
Reply 18
Original post by Smithy-92
I can't help but think "Ronseal, it does exactly what it says on the tin!". The PDF gives an exact explanation here, there's no two ways about it, just one interpretation! Anyone who fails to understand the basic principles stated here quite frankly shouldn't actually worry about the A* circumstances :smile: Sorry to put it so bluntly.. (negged xD)

na I won't neg you, because I already got 97% in C1 in january and retook it on may 18th to get 100 ums :] have a positive rep, I'm in a good mood today
Original post by Sokka
na I won't neg you, because I already got 97% in C1 in january and retook it on may 18th to get 100 ums :] have a positive rep, I'm in a good mood today

Cool :smile: I was mainly referring to all the silly replies here but quoted you for the pic =]

And wow.. you resat a 97 to try for a 100 ? That's keeeeeeeeen..!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending