The Student Room Group

extra quantitative research methods qualification?

Hi everyone

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, if not, mods please move.

I really want to go on to work in a crime prevention centred career, but I've just finished my undergraduate degree in a humanities subject (drama) and don't have any real stats or quantitative research skills as I gave up science and maths after GCSE.

I have been considering going on to do either the Crime Analysis PGDip or the MSc in Crime Science at UCL, but after emailing the admissions person they said I'd be unlikely to be accepted as they'd think I'd struggle with the research methods side of things having had no stats experience.

Basically, what I want to know is, does anyone know of any extra qualifications I can get in quantitative research methods or stats that would prove to the guys at UCL that I can do it and wouldn't be a total failure at the course?
I think that given the chance to learn it I'd be able to, but I don't think teaching myself stats etc and saying this on the application would be enough proof.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks so much!
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
I think the simplest thing would be to do a rapid one-year A-level in maths with stats options at a FE college.
Reply 3
I don't have an A level in maths - I am currently doing an MSc in Public Health and Health Services Research at NCL Medical School. There's no question of a doubt you can do statistics for research as long as you can do basic equations and use a computer. Most quantitative analysis is through SPSS or minitab.

I would do AS statistics. I doubt you'd need to know much beyond descriptive stats.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending