The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Well firstly you should not be worrying about your basic understanding of economics because UCL does not specify a high school study of economics as a specific subject. Therefore, with your 'basic' knowledge, you will be ahead of some people. Also, the first semester at the university is all about catching people up to the same level so you need not worry about the differences between your understanding and others.

UCL is a prestigious university and the focus on a study of economics will get you far. The advantage of studying a subject in depth rather than studying a broad range of subjects is that employment is much easier after and the need for a second degree is much smaller. So as long as your sure economics is the subject for you and you are happy to study it exclusively for the next three years, you are more than likely to get a really good career.

London is one of the most culturally diverse and interesting cities in the world and you are sure to have a good experience. In terms of employment, being in the capital, there are many large fims recruiting every year and they target undergraduates. Also, an economics degree is probably the most highly acclaimed by companies and especially investment bankers

Hope this has helped and I hope to see you at UCL in September
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by nitishgpt
Hi, the same thing happened to me. I didn't get the same mail regarding accommodation.

I went on the website to see if there was anything about needing to get a confirmation email and it says that if you don't get one within a month of applying for accommodation, you should contact the university. It'd be nice to know if they got my application seeing as the deadline is on the 30th of May, but I logged back on to my application and it says it's been sent off. Guess I'll wait a bit longer to see if I get anything and if not just give them a call :s-smilie:
Reply 4022
Seventyfourable, thanks for your reply! Quick question, how flexible is changing majors in the UK? If I decide, say I want to be a doctor or engineer instead, is it possible to transfer to another department? Economics is a good major, but what if after learning it in depth for some time I decide it's not for me?
Reply 4023
Original post by amyelizabeth2681
I went on the website to see if there was anything about needing to get a confirmation email and it says that if you don't get one within a month of applying for accommodation, you should contact the university. It'd be nice to know if they got my application seeing as the deadline is on the 30th of May, but I logged back on to my application and it says it's been sent off. Guess I'll wait a bit longer to see if I get anything and if not just give them a call :s-smilie:

Hey, the UCL residence application website is https://residences.ucl.ac.uk/StarRezPortal/Default.aspx?Params=L9ezxPcQnQsDuaBX%2bLFbaS7g8dqK9e0T right?

Last year only a few got emails, don't worry about it. In fact, good life lesson to learn: UCL admin is crap. Be prepared for a fun 3 years of admin nightmares.

If you are worried though, give them a call just to confirm they received it.
Hey :smile:, I've just firmed my offer from UCL to do anthropology with a year abroad, provided I get an A in biology this year in my A2 year (I've already completed psychology and sociology at a level to A grade). I was wondering though, I intend to get an A, but I was wondering if there is even the slightest chance that you can still get into UCL, even if you don't meet their exact requirements? For instance, if I achieved an A in philosophy this year (which I'm also taking), would there still be a chance that I could get in?
Sorry if that was stupidly confusing :biggrin: x
Original post by BeccaAliceL
Hey :smile:, I've just firmed my offer from UCL to do anthropology with a year abroad, provided I get an A in biology this year in my A2 year (I've already completed psychology and sociology at a level to A grade). I was wondering though, I intend to get an A, but I was wondering if there is even the slightest chance that you can still get into UCL, even if you don't meet their exact requirements? For instance, if I achieved an A in philosophy this year (which I'm also taking), would there still be a chance that I could get in?
Sorry if that was stupidly confusing :biggrin: x

If you have an offer from them, then there is a small chance you'll still get in, even if you don't make your offer, if not enough people have made their offers for that course. But then you would definitely need at least an A in philosophy and minimum a B in biology. I had a friend who got an offer for medicine from Imperial. We did the IB where the grades are a little different, but she needed the equivalent of three As (she took chemistry, english and biology). She ended up getting the equivalent of an A* in english, an A in biology but only a B in chemistry, so at first she didn't make her offer. We got our results before the A-level people, so Imperial told her to wait until A-level results were out, and they would get back to her (I think she emailed or called them after she got her results). She ended up getting into Imperial anyway, because I guess her english grade made up for her chemistry grade, despite chemistry being an essential part of medicine. I know this is Imperial, but the difference between UCL and Imperial is not great so I assume it'll be the same procedure at UCL :smile: They need the money from students, so if they don't have enough students on a course who've made their offer, they'll go back and look at the other students they gave offers, but who missed them, and see which grades they have, and then pick the best ones out of them.

You do have to be pretty lucky though to get into UCL if you've missed your offer, but there is a chance :smile:

Hope that helps/makes sense!
Is anyone else thinking of going for a twin room at halls?
Original post by sweetascandy
Is anyone else thinking of going for a twin room at halls?

I am just so I can have more money for other things. But I'm worried about sharing a room with someone I might not get along with
Original post by Purehakkai
I am just so I can have more money for other things. But I'm worried about sharing a room with someone I might not get along with

I'm having the same dilemma. But fingers crossed, hopefully all will be well. Imagine sharing a room with a full on party animal who comes into the room at 4am vommitting everywhere! #disaster! But even then, I'm sure UCL must have some schemes where you can change halls.
Also, do you know if they put you with someone who's doing the same course as you?
I'm having the same dilemma. But fingers crossed, hopefully all will be well. Imagine sharing a room with a full on party animal who comes into the room at 4am vommitting everywhere! #disaster! But even then, I'm sure UCL must have some schemes where you can change halls.
Also, do you know if they put you with someone who's doing the same course as you?

It's completely random. But I agree with the party animal issue! Single room > shared
Reply 4031

I applied back in Feb for accommodation and only realised the other week I hadn't received acknowledgement of my application, I rang up today to make sure it had been processed and they sent me an email straight after saying they had go it! I assume a slightly unorganised database may be the problem! :smile:

Oh god that would be awful! Idk I assumed that because they asked us to rate our hobbies, that they would pair us with someone who had similar interests? But I guess you can't really put down party animal :s-smilie:

I'm also partially worried I might get a guy roomate - I dont mind or anything but I have super religious parents and they are already reluctant to let me move out :/
Oh god that would be awful! Idk I assumed that because they asked us to rate our hobbies, that they would pair us with someone who had similar interests? But I guess you can't really put down party animal :s-smilie:

I'm also partially worried I might get a guy roomate - I dont mind or anything but I have super religious parents and they are already reluctant to let me move out :/

Hahaha, my parents are kinda religious too...I mean they're perfectly fine with me living in a mixed student house, but I'm certain that if my twin turned out to be a guy, they would cancel my whole uni application :eek:
But I'm pretty sure they won't put guys and girls together...it's a little too far I think :p:

I want a roomie who I can be best friends with (as pushy as that sounds :L) because you're literally gunna spend like day and night with them (not in that way...god i'm so awkward!) so it has to be someone you get along well with.

I was really pissed that we don't get to choose which student house we want....I'm after John Tovell/Arthur Tattershall which are a 2min walk.
Hahaha, my parents are kinda religious too...I mean they're perfectly fine with me living in a mixed student house, but I'm certain that if my twin turned out to be a guy, they would cancel my whole uni application :eek:
But I'm pretty sure they won't put guys and girls together...it's a little too far I think :p:

I want a roomie who I can be best friends with (as pushy as that sounds :L) because you're literally gunna spend like day and night with them (not in that way...god i'm so awkward!) so it has to be someone you get along well with.

I was really pissed that we don't get to choose which student house we want....I'm after John Tovell/Arthur Tattershall which are a 2min walk.

Oh yeah same they are ok with mixed housing, they just think that if I get a guy roomate I'll be having sex constantly :rolleyes: Lol

Haha I know this sounds kinda sad, but I want one of those American sorority type roomates who I can gossip with and go shopping with etc. So don't worry I totally get where you're coming from.

Yeah I know, I put in the special needs that I would like to be in Canterbury so hopefully fingers crossed. I don't know how you are managing student houses, I think I would starve to death if I wasn't in catered - My cooking is pathetic! :frown:

So what course do you have an offer for if you don't mind me asking?
Oh yeah same they are ok with mixed housing, they just think that if I get a guy roomate I'll be having sex constantly :rolleyes: Lol

Haha I know this sounds kinda sad, but I want one of those American sorority type roomates who I can gossip with and go shopping with etc. So don't worry I totally get where you're coming from.

Yeah I know, I put in the special needs that I would like to be in Canterbury so hopefully fingers crossed. I don't know how you are managing student houses, I think I would starve to death if I wasn't in catered - My cooking is pathetic! :frown:

So what course do you have an offer for if you don't mind me asking?

Well i just like the whole stereotypical idea of students living on coke, cereal and pizza :cool: I think it's another aspect of student life I'd like to experience. Also, I'm a veggie so the whole 'school dinners' concept doesn't really appeal to me!

Haha, that would be awesome to have that kinda roommate. All I can think about nowadays is uni and what it's gunna be like. I'm actually soo excited. Before I had initially applied for 2013 entry but the other day, I emailed them and they said I can come this year so yaaaayyy :biggrin:

I've got an offer for L100 Economics if I get A*AA. Wbu?
Well i just like the whole stereotypical idea of students living on coke, cereal and pizza :cool: I think it's another aspect of student life I'd like to experience. Also, I'm a veggie so the whole 'school dinners' concept doesn't really appeal to me!

Haha, that would be awesome to have that kinda roommate. All I can think about nowadays is uni and what it's gunna be like. I'm actually soo excited. Before I had initially applied for 2013 entry but the other day, I emailed them and they said I can come this year so yaaaayyy :biggrin:

I've got an offer for L100 Economics if I get A*AA. Wbu?

Fair enough I just felt I had three years of that to look forward too after my first year, so I might as well get some proper meals. Not that of course pizza, cereal and coke isn't a proper meal :P Oh cool, I personally don't eat red meat so I guess I would still have the fish and chicken options.

Omg same I'm so excited for uni its all I can think about :biggrin: I feel like my summer is going to be ruined because of upcoming results day stress. Looks like I will be seeing you in lectures then (if I meet my offer :zomg:) as I applied for L101 Economics!
Fair enough I just felt I had three years of that to look forward too after my first year, so I might as well get some proper meals. Not that of course pizza, cereal and coke isn't a proper meal :P Oh cool, I personally don't eat red meat so I guess I would still have the fish and chicken options.

Omg same I'm so excited for uni its all I can think about :biggrin: I feel like my summer is going to be ruined because of upcoming results day stress. Looks like I will be seeing you in lectures then (if I meet my offer :zomg:) as I applied for L101 Economics!

OMG you're doing the same course as me!! Okay, I am wayyy to excited now :biggrin: but eeekk results day is gunna be soo intense :-/
Btw, what do you mean by the bolded bit? Have you done your first year at some other uni? :confused:
OMG you're doing the same course as me!! Okay, I am wayyy to excited now :biggrin: but eeekk results day is gunna be soo intense :-/
Btw, what do you mean by the bolded bit? Have you done your first year at some other uni? :confused:

:biggrin:! Yay I know officially know someone who is on my course - awesome :P I'm so scared I'm going to miss my offer :frown: My insurance is Nottingham so its not too bad but I'm so so excited about UCL now.

No I applied for L101 Economics which is the year abroad course. So I would be spending my third year in the US/Canada and then my fourth year would be your third year at UCL? I hope that makes sense
:biggrin:! Yay I know officially know someone who is on my course - awesome :P I'm so scared I'm going to miss my offer :frown: My insurance is Nottingham so its not too bad but I'm so so excited about UCL now.

No I applied for L101 Economics which is the year abroad course. So I would be spending my third year in the US/Canada and then my fourth year would be your third year at UCL? I hope that makes sense

Haha yessss, I was gunna say that we should make a roommate suggestion but just remembered that you've asked for catered and I haven't :l
Ohh, so does that mean you will only be with L100-ers for the first and second year then?

Latest

Trending

Trending