The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SomeoneIveNeverMet
Pretty darn amazing! I went for a Civil Engineering Masterclass, it was so interesting! And they're Engineering department is really top-notch. Would love to go there :biggrin:

What are you thinking of applying for? :smile:

Psychology. :smile:

How was the atmosphere there? Were the buildings nice? I'm visiting in the second week of August, but I'd like to know how it looks. I don't really have any idea, other than the building they have on their logo. :rolleyes:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by punctuation

How was the atmosphere there? Were the buildings nice? I'm visiting in the second week of August, but I'd like to know how it looks. I don't really have any idea, other than the building they have on their logo. :rolleyes:

Haha google it and look on the maps on their site :biggrin: It's really nice, the professors/lecturers I spoke to were really nice! And I got to speak to a PhD student too. I'm going again at the end of June for the open day and again for another Masterclass at the beginning of July. I'll let you know how they go! But honestly it seems really really nice, very friendly people :smile:

Ah my God I just realized you're from Canada! :biggrin: JEALOUS MUCHLY I want to go there sometime! :biggrin:
Ah my God I just realized you're from Canada! :biggrin: JEALOUS MUCHLY I want to go there sometime! :biggrin:

Yay! I hope you do, it's quite nice here. ^^
Reply 64
For Law!

darn! UCL is REALLY hard to get into! :frown:
Reply 65
xch
OP
Hey is anybody here going to apply for Engineering in UCL,
IS anybody doing the International Bac (IB) ???
I'll probably be applying with hope of it being my Insurance choice.

For Maths, predicted A*A*A*.
Reply 67
Hi :biggrin: I'm gonna apply to UCL for chemistry with maths and my predicted grades are A*A*A* and an A...in spanish...
ahh wooo I hope we all do well!
Yeh I know me too! That's why I'm thinking Engineering, Civil Engineering actually :smile: you actually don't even need a degree to design a building, that's what really started me thinking that Architecture probably isn't worth it :/ What is Urban Planning actually?

(p.s. I love math! haha)

You definitely need a degree to design buildings legally. You require passing a professional licensing examination (different countries have different examinations and standards, in some countries such as the US, different states or groups of states have different examinations) in order to be able to submit plans and documents for structures to be approved by the government (in my country: to sign and seal documents for the local government unit's Office of the Building Official as part of a building permit). In order to qualify to take the examination you require a degree in architecture, and in my country 2000 hours of work experience (approx. 2 years). In order to renew your license (which expires), you are required to attend lectures, seminars, and others, in my country these are called continuing professional education.

Additionally, building permits are usually the legal requirement to buiding structures. Building permits requires technical specifications, drawings (or plans), and documents to be submitted for assessment. All of these documents need the seal and signature of the Architect (well for most countries I know of). Also, student architects have design classes specifically tailored to building design - among many topics is proper space programming, which is very obvious when a building is not made by an architect. In my country we have 5 years of design classes. You may bypass an architect for two-storey structures in my country with a civil engineer, but for any structure above two-storey it is impossible without an architect.

As for Architecture and Urban Planning: they are very, very interconnected. However, I really don't have the time nor space here to talk about how they are related (you can read that up that relationship in any textbook), because they both encompass such a great breadth and depth of topics. But for the heck of it, there is one architect (among countless others in the planning field) who is British you might want to look up, his name is Ebenezer Howard, his urban planning intervention or say invention was the Garden City, and it spawned the Garden City movement, and it has had a vast impact on city planning, and the way it viewed the environment also with it's then innovative use of greenbelts, parkways, and others, and it's view on the social aspect of city planning.

I guess I just want to say that, unlike some other allied courses, architects are judged not only by how functional (utilitas) the building or structure is, but how beautiful (venustas) it is, and how long it lasts (firmitas). And thus it demands talent and skill in both science and art. And personally for me, Architecture is a physical manifestation of the soul of humanity, a unique and great expression of humankind.

Peace.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Any other Linguistics applicants out there? :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by Lollyage
Any other Linguistics applicants out there? :biggrin:

Yes, me! :biggrin: UCL Linguistics is one of my choices at the moment.
Reply 71
Original post by prettified
Yes, me! :biggrin: UCL Linguistics is one of my choices at the moment.

Awesome! Where else are you thinking of applying? :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Lollyage
Awesome! Where else are you thinking of applying? :smile:

Cambridge for sure-- Edinburgh, Newcastle, SOAS and York are other possibilities... I am still very undecided :s-smilie: I'm also debating whether I should apply for straight Linguistics or for Linguistics + other language! The clock is ticking and I am having second thoughts, urgh.

I have started a thread for Linguistics applicants here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1716096 :smile:
Salut, I'm thinking of applying for history, undecided between SSEES and V100 so we'll see.
Reply 74
As Hassi said a few posts above, applying for Mathematics 2012!! Liked the open day, a lot more than KCL, just a bit further away.
Reply 75

Looking to do Chemistry.

Also looking at Imperial, Bristol, Warwick & Sheffield.
Went to UCL today just to have a look around. It's so pretty! Tomorrow I'm going there again to actually talk uni business. :wink:
Reply 77
Went to UCL today just to have a look around. It's so pretty! Tomorrow I'm going there again to actually talk uni business. :wink:

The psych admissions tutor is awesome! He used to an olympic gold medalist in gymnatistics but is now a fat balding man who is sooo funny :tongue:
im applying for straight economics, my predicted A level grades should hopefully be A*AAA(plus AA in AS physics and extended project) but with a few retakes, do I stand a chance?
Reply 79
hi, im applying for Law ! I've gotten my alevels results with 3A1b..any tips about application and stuffs? =D btw..im from Malaysia :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending