The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Noodlzzz
I haven't heard of them doing it before, it's deffo not standard practice. I think like most top unis they put most of the emphasis on academic performance. How much they care for the other factors is department dependent.

OK thanks. Do you know if they put much emphasis on extra curriculars or are they like Oxbridge? I've got pretty good academics but not many worthwhile ECs
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Mike93L
OK thanks. Do you know if they put much emphasis on extra curriculars or are they like Oxbridge? I've got pretty good academics but not many worthwhile ECs

I really don't think they're bothered. Work experience maybe, but academics and enthusiasm are what they're looking for :smile:
Hey guys is the mechanical engineering with business finance course good, and how competitive is that course.
Hi guys I should be hopefully be applying for Mathematics with Modern Languages :smile:
Reply 104
xch
OP
Heyy I was wondering if anybody here knew if it was an advantage to apply as soon as possible or if it makes no difference to apply in september than applying in december...???
Reply 105

Original post by xch
Heyy I was wondering if anybody here knew if it was an advantage to apply as soon as possible or if it makes no difference to apply in september than applying in december...???

I'm also wondering the same thing.
Original post by xch

Original post by ppincus
I'm also wondering the same thing.

In general, the earlier you apply, the earlier your application will be reviewed and the earlier you'll be invited for interviews. Generally speaking of course, that's the trend.

If you apply in december it's their slowest month because of christmas holidays and it's very likely you'll be placed in the same pile as the hundreds of applications on the jan deadline. You'll be having to do interviews as late as feb/march and getting your offer too late.
Why put yourself through a longer wait? Better to have peace of mind with an offer in oct/dec than around easter when you should be focusing on your exams.

If you can apply as early as september then go for it, but if you're rushing then it's better to wait till when you have a properly finished PS/reference.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 107
xch
OP
Original post by Marc Fiorano
In general, the earlier you apply, the earlier your application will be reviewed and the earlier you'll be invited for interviews. Generally speaking of course, that's the trend.

If you apply in december it's their slowest month because of christmas holidays and it's very likely you'll be placed in the same pile as the hundreds of applications on the jan deadline. You'll be having to do interviews as late as feb/march and getting your offer too late.
Why put yourself through a longer wait? Better to have peace of mind with an offer in oct/dec than around easter when you should be focusing on your exams.

If you can apply as early as september then go for it, but if you're rushing then it's better to wait till when you have a properly finished PS/reference.

This makes sense! Thanks for the info!
Reply 108
xch
OP
Is Anybody applying for engineering here?!
Eurgh, I'm disappointed with my AS Levels (ABBB - with a slight possibility of either one or two of the Bs moving to As as they were both close to the border). I want to apply for Russian and History, the grades for which are ABB, so superficially I meet the requirements but I highly doubt that most applicants only scrape those requirements. I have Extra Curriculur stuff (Volunteering in a local museum, Grd. 6 Musical instrument) and can evidence my interest (EPQ on an aspect of Russian History) but I still think it wont be enough :frown:.

Do people think I should just wait and try to improve my grades to all As/A*s (that's what my predicted grades remain as) or do you think I should try this year?
Original post by niicckkk91
Eurgh, I'm disappointed with my AS Levels (ABBB - with a slight possibility of either one or two of the Bs moving to As as they were both close to the border). I want to apply for Russian and History, the grades for which are ABB, so superficially I meet the requirements but I highly doubt that most applicants only scrape those requirements. I have Extra Curriculur stuff (Volunteering in a local museum, Grd. 6 Musical instrument) and can evidence my interest (EPQ on an aspect of Russian History) but I still think it wont be enough :frown:.

Do people think I should just wait and try to improve my grades to all As/A*s (that's what my predicted grades remain as) or do you think I should try this year?

I think you should apply this year and see where you get into and then if you don't like the uni you do get into and think you can do better then try again next year when you have your grades :smile:
Original post by like_a_star
I think you should apply this year and see where you get into and then if you don't like the uni you do get into and think you can do better then try again next year when you have your grades :smile:

Thanks, I might try and see what comes of it. Does anyone know if UCL put more preference on predicted grades for full A Levels or achieved AS grades or whether they're both kind of weighted out equally?

:redface:
Reply 112
Hey there,

I just finished my MSc in Public Policy at UCL and have some books to sell that are on the reading list. PM me please if you are interested. Thanks

Philip
Reply 113
Hi everyone,

A*in AL math(already got) A (predicted AL futher Math) A (predicted Geog) B (predicted Physics) apply for Environmental Eng of UCL, any chance? Is this course competitive?

THANKS
Hey, there, I'm applying for Biology with a concentration in Genetics. Fingers crossed! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
Hey there, I'm applying for maths, anyone else here?
Original post by lmq0209
Hey there, I'm applying for maths, anyone else here?

i'm applying for maths with modern languages :biggrin:
Anyone applying for chemistry MSci? and what grades do you hope to get?
Original post by tom_of_11.3
Anyone applying for chemistry MSci? and what grades do you hope to get?

I am :biggrin: I'm predicted 4A*s and hopefully i'll get that, but I doubt it.

What about you?
Original post by archie0705
I am :biggrin: I'm predicted 4A*s and hopefully i'll get that, but I doubt it.

What about you?

I'm predicted 2A*s 1A and a welsh baccalaureate advanced diploma (equivalent to an A) :biggrin: I thing I could get those but we will see :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending