Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
yeah man, i vowed to , and i will.... muhahaha

:colone: how you finding CHEM4? too many mechanisms :mad2:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Hamuir5
did you get an offer then? what offer and for which course?

AAB for Modern Languages
Reply 1802
Original post by confusedexcited
hey! congratulations, i'm waiting on the response now :/ when did you return the questionnaire?

Thank you :smile: Although I'm not sure an invitation to the open day constitutes an offer :/ I returned it on the 9th of November- I think it was due back on the 14th or something.
Original post by Rahul.S
:colone: how you finding CHEM4? too many mechanisms :mad2:

lololololol your right, the amount of mechanisms is unbelievable ! but acid chlorides tend to follow the same pattern with HCL given off as a by product. nucleophillic substitution!

transesterfication is annoying !

addition of hydrogen cyanide to an asymmetric ketone / aldehyde, thats the only mechanism, in which they can only ask you that for the addition of HCN so its not bad....
Original post by James A
lololololol your right, the amount of mechanisms is unbelievable ! but acid chlorides tend to follow the same pattern with HCL given off as a by product. nucleophillic substitution!

addition of hydrogen cyanide to an asymmetric ketone / aldehyde, thats the only mechanism, in which they can only ask you that for the addition of HCN so its not bad....

umm i know im in trouble when I dont understand one line you wrote :eek:
Reply 1805
Original post by prezamby
Offer from UCL for Politics and East European Studies.
Condition: AAB

Got it on 25th October, 2011.

congrats! whate are your grades like if you dont mind me asking? were you interviewed/questionairred?
Original post by Rahul.S
umm i know im in trouble when I dont understand one line you wrote :eek:

You are doing Edexcel chemistry too? So much harder than at AS...
Original post by James A

Sorry, I just noticed this about Unit 4. I'm 99% certain that acyl chlorides (acid chlorides) react by nucleophilic addition-elimination. It's because it's a two-part reaction where an addition forms an isolatable intermediate, before the elimination kicks in and the bond folds back, kicking out the leaving group(Cl- which becomes HCl).

It has the same effect as substitution would thoughbut our exam board at least are really set on us using the addition-elimination terminology.
Original post by NeuralGroove
Sorry, I just noticed this about Unit 4. I'm 99% certain that acyl chlorides (acid chlorides) react by nucleophilic addition-elimination. It's because it's a two-part reaction where an addition forms an isolatable intermediate, before the elimination kicks in and the bond folds back, kicking out the leaving group(Cl- which becomes HCl).

It has the same effect as substitution would thoughbut our exam board at least are really set on us using the addition-elimination terminology.

very good point, yes i was skipping things by saying substitution. nucleophillic addition-elimination, technically it is substitution too. but your definetly right and in exam conditions i would play it safe with addition-elimination
Original post by paulbridger
You are doing Edexcel chemistry too? So much harder than at AS...

aqa....i haven't done any work for chem for a while....so its my fault :redface:
Original post by Froodles
Thank you :smile: Although I'm not sure an invitation to the open day constitutes an offer :/ I returned it on the 9th of November- I think it was due back on the 14th or something.

i've been told it does, it essentially means they'll recommend you for an offer :smile: ah, i sent mine off on the 30th of November, so something tells me I'll be waiting till after new years. I think the combination of UCL rejection and hang-over could be the end of me! :tongue:
Reply 1811
Original post by Azza919
congrats! whate are your grades like if you dont mind me asking? were you interviewed/questionairred?

I got 11 A*s in my O Level. And predicted probably 5A*s for A Level.
Which course did you apply for?
Reply 1812

And no, I was neither interviewed nor did I receive any questionairre.
hey! i just send my questionnaire in today (for history). do you know how long it will be before i get a decision?
Reply 1814

Same course, thats really good!
Reply 1815
Has anyone heard from Econ with Year Abroad?
In fact- does anyone know how many places there are? Is it really much more competitive than straight Econ?
Reply 1816
Human Sciences Open Day :smile:
Anyone else invited for the Histology class??
Original post by wit-tank
Has anyone heard from Econ with Year Abroad?
In fact- does anyone know how many places there are? Is it really much more competitive than straight Econ?

20 places, no idea how many applicants.

My guess is that it is INSANELY competitive. And, if you are rejected for that course, that's the end of the road at UCL, they don't consider you for the L100. Which is really unfortunate :mad:
Reply 1818
Hi has anyone who applied to read English heard anything back yet?
Reply 1819
Original post by N.E.R.D.
Hi has anyone who applied to read English heard anything back yet?

If you read through the thread you can see a few interviews but more rejections. They seem to be taking their time, my application has been gone for 7 weeks nearly and nothing apart from a notification. :smile:

I want a replyyyy! Even if it is just to get UCL out of my head. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending