The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Econ - 5 A2 levels?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/prospective

Well, the situation is I am doing AS and my current subjects are Maths, Econ, History and Physics.

Apparently for pure ECON you need Further Maths in some of the more competitive unis so am considering dropping History (which I love) for it next year.

However, reading through the Warwick requirements it says "Candiates who offer Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of 4 subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level"

Bit late for me now, isn't it.... To achieve that I would have to do 5 subjects next year?

How important is further maths for admission?
Original post by bob247
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/prospective

Well, the situation is I am doing AS and my current subjects are Maths, Econ, History and Physics.

Apparently for pure ECON you need Further Maths in some of the more competitive unis so am considering dropping History (which I love) for it next year.

However, reading through the Warwick requirements it says "Candiates who offer Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of 4 subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level"

Bit late for me now, isn't it.... To achieve that I would have to do 5 subjects next year?

How important is further maths for admission?

At Warwick not everyone on the Econ does Further Maths (or even Maths) at A Level. Although the less Maths you do, the fewer Mathematical modules you can elect to take. Additionally, you will encounter matrices in the first year which are introduced in FP1, I believe, so perhaps FM at AS may be beneficial later on.

As for the offer, what it simply says is that you can't do just Maths, Further Maths and a third subject (in other words, Further Maths does not count to one of the three A2s). If you do Maths and Further Maths at A2, you must have an additional two subjects at A2 in order to meet their requirements. So you can get by with doing Maths, Econ and Physics all to A2, and doing Further Maths may be beneficial to you and perhaps your application if you want to.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by TheTallOne
At Warwick not everyone on the Econ does Further Maths (or even Maths) at A Level. Although the less Maths you do, the fewer Mathematical modules you can elect to take. Additionally, you will encounter matrices in the first year which are introduced in FP1, I believe, so perhaps FM at AS may be beneficial later on.

As for the offer, what it simply says is that you can't do just Maths, Further Maths and a third subject (in other words, Further Maths does not count to one of the three A2s). If you do Maths and Further Maths at A2, you must have an additional two subjects at A2 in order to meet their requirements. So you can get by with doing Maths, Econ and Physics all to A2, and doing Further Maths may be beneficial to you and perhaps your application if you want to.

Alright, cheers.

Also, I was wondering if it was possible if you could tell me the profile of the average Warwick student's GCSEs. I achieved 2A* and 8A (2 marks off A* for history). Does the average student have 5A*+ or something?
Original post by bob247
Alright, cheers.

Also, I was wondering if it was possible if you could tell me the profile of the average Warwick student's GCSEs. I achieved 2A* and 8A (2 marks off A* for history). Does the average student have 5A*+ or something?

Depends massively on the course. Average probably around 3-4A*s

Economics, engineering and maths student tend to have 7A*s+ I have found, where as you'd be lucky to find an early childhood studies student or film studies student with any GCSEs at all.
Reply 4
Original post by FatboyGinger
Depends massively on the course. Average probably around 3-4A*s

Economics, engineering and maths student tend to have 7A*s+ I have found, where as you'd be lucky to find an early childhood studies student or film studies student with any GCSEs at all.

Would it therefore be impossible with only 2 A* :s Even if you did achieve straight As
Original post by bob247
Would it therefore be impossible with only 2 A* :s Even if you did achieve straight As

Clearly not. Average =/= every single case.
This year Further Maths deffinately helped, I got an offer in December (I think) and do Maths, Further Maths, Econ and Geography. So you could drop a subject for further maths, I wouldnt drop history to keep more balance.

Further maths isn't needed as I know another person who got an offer without it, and people with it who didn't- You never know what they are looking for.

Do Further Maths though as it will only enhance your chances and its also the most rewarding subject and will prepare you for any maths at uni (assuming you do loads of stats modules :wink: ).

Quick Reply

Latest