The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics 2011 - Questions, Thoughts & Feelings.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by jdouglassmith
haha woohh!

hmmm even stevens then.. my project went fineish. few mix ups in a few places but all the better for the reflection of the project in analysis. hope to god i get an A after the effort i've put in ha. How'd your project go?

Yeah mine went quite well , did a lot of experiments and made sure to include all the points on the pink sheet.
ahh right i see. By the way, in those solutions, 1.a)(ii) is most definitely not 2.07ms^-1...that wouldnt give anywhere near enough for relativistic mass.
Original post by andrewblackie
ahh right i see. By the way, in those solutions, 1.a)(ii) is most definitely not 2.07ms^-1...that wouldnt give anywhere near enough for relativistic mass.

Should be 2.07x10^8

I'll check it just now

Edit: Corrected
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by innerhollow
COMPLETED SOLUTIONS

Question 8 (Charges in a Magnetic Field)

Spoiler

Re. 8. (c) Are you sure the pitch is greater as well? I know the parallel component of the electron's velocity ( v(cosA) )is greater, but the pitch is equal to (v(cosA) * t) and now the time t is smaller because the radius (mv/qB) is less?
Reply 124
For question (2ai), I used th 1/12 in the inertia formula instead of 1/3. Is that wrong physics or is it just lose 1 mark out of the 2?
Reply 125
Also, does anybody have the grade boundaries for the last few years?
Reply 126
here are the grade boundaries since 2007:
OUT OF 125
2010: A - 87 B - 74 C - 61
2009: A - 87 B - 74 C - 61
2008: A - 86 B - 74 C - 62
2007: A - 87 B - 74 C - 62
Reply 127
Original post by CHS4
here are the grade boundaries since 2007:
OUT OF 125
2010: A - 87 B - 74 C - 61
2009: A - 87 B - 74 C - 61
2008: A - 86 B - 74 C - 62
2007: A - 87 B - 74 C - 62

That's great, Thanks! :smile:
That's interesting that grade boundaries have barely changed at all every year for Physics.

Original post by inkwisitive
Re. 8. (c) Are you sure the pitch is greater as well? I know the parallel component of the electron's velocity ( v(cosA) )is greater, but the pitch is equal to (v(cosA) * t) and now the time t is smaller because the radius (mv/qB) is less?

You had me worried there for a second! However, the period actually remains constant. Although the radius of the circle decreases, the tangential speed at which it is going round the circle also decreases by the same proportion.

T=2πrvvT = \displaystyle\frac{2 \pi r}{v_v}

T=2πrvsinθT = \displaystyle \frac{2 \pi r}{v \sin \theta}

T=2πmvsinθvsinθqBT = \displaystyle \frac{2 \pi m v \sin \theta}{v \sin \theta qB}

T=2πmqBT = \displaystyle \frac{2 \pi m}{qB}

That final line contains only quantities that are kept constant, so varying the angle of launch or velocity of the electron actually has no effect on the period.

Original post by scottbd
For question (2ai), I used th 1/12 in the inertia formula instead of 1/3. Is that wrong physics or is it just lose 1 mark out of the 2?

I'm afraid you most likely both lose marks for Wrong Physics :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 129
I know this is kind of a hard question but whats the average project score ? Thanks
Reply 130
see if you go on the sqa web, select subjects, ah physics and go to external assessment reports, you should get it there
Average project score is like 14/25. However, this is purely because a lot of people have unconditionals and simply don't put the effort in. I know last years students in my school doing advanced higher had a minimum project mark of 17/25 with a few getting 21/22 too. I wouldn't get disheartened by what national figures are for project scores on the website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending