The Student Room Group

AS Subjects..And results..

Hey TSR's..

I'm applying for psychology in university and currently finishing my AS exams..

I'm currently studying (and completing):

Psychology AS
Biology AS
Sociology AS
Chemistry AS

I'm most likely to get a U in chemistry.. And hence dropping it or being kicked out..

Will this greatly effect my chances of getting into a psychology degree?

Should I pick up another AS whilst doing my unit 2?

In unit 1 exams I got

B for psycho
D for bio
A for socio
E for chem..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm having the exact same problem.. Conisdering clinical psychology..
Reply 2
Depends on the universities. Depends on your predicted grades. As you have biology that will compensate I think.
Reply 3
Original post by Pheebs1201
Depends on the universities. Depends on your predicted grades. As you have biology that will compensate I think.

So A U in Chem won't effect me that badly if I was applying to somewhere like.. East Anglia or City?
Reply 4
Original post by Lord Mirza
So A U in Chem won't effect me that badly if I was applying to somewhere like.. East Anglia or City?

Most (but not all) universities seem to be pretty indifferent about a fourth AS however I would advise taking up another subject alongside your three A2s just incase. I know people who have done worse and got offers! Just make sure you get good predicted grades and a good reference.
Reply 5
Most (but not all) universities seem to be pretty indifferent about a fourth AS however I would advise taking up another subject alongside your three A2s just incase. I know people who have done worse and got offers! Just make sure you get good predicted grades and a good reference.

Yeah Thanks.. What are you currently studying to become? :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Lord Mirza
Yeah Thanks.. What are you currently studying to become? :tongue:

I'm doing my A2s at the moment and hopefully will be starting at Bristol for undergraduate psychology in September. No idea what I want to "be" yet :smile:
Reply 7
I'm doing my A2s at the moment and hopefully will be starting at Bristol for undergraduate psychology in September. No idea what I want to "be" yet :smile:

Good luck with that! :biggrin:
Depends where you want to go: even new universities and metropolitans require ABB or BBB, and most people with offers from places like York which has entry requiremenets of ABB/AAB, have higher predicted offers of AAA and AAA*.
Reply 9
Original post by FL4I23
Hey TSR's..

I'm applying for psychology in university and currently finishing my AS exams..

I'm currently studying (and completing):

Psychology AS
Biology AS
Sociology AS
Chemistry AS

I'm most likely to get a U in chemistry.. And hence dropping it or being kicked out..

Will this greatly effect my chances of getting into a psychology degree?

Should I pick up another AS whilst doing my unit 2?

In unit 1 exams I got

B for psycho
D for bio
A for socio
E for chem..

i am in a similar situation. i take biology, psychology and maths and i am sure i will get good grades in those (hopefully) but religious studies i think i will have an E/U in. im praying for a U so i wont have to put it on UCAS. most unis ive looked at, excluding warwick and UCL, dont ask for an AS. i may consider picking up further maths AS next year depending on my AS results in the summer.
Reply 10
My sister got BBBD in AS. D was in music technology. She just didn't put it on her UCAS or application form or whatever.

In the end she came out with AAA in year 13. Just work your butt off and you'll get there :smile:
Original post by dorame
My sister got BBBD in AS. D was in music technology. She just didn't put it on her UCAS or application form or whatever.

In the end she came out with AAA in year 13. Just work your butt off and you'll get there :smile:

I really wouldn't recommend omitting information from your UCAS form, if you get a grade you should put it down, your sister was lucky!

OP you should be fine with those grades to be honest if you're not aiming for the top universities, most middle-of-the-road places will let you in if you get the right amount of UCAS points/grades from your A-levels.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
You have really ruined my confidence. I was planning on taking chem for AS in September. Is it a really big step up from gcse? What did you get in gcse chem if you dont mind me asking? Just want to see if I have any chances of passing :/
Reply 13
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I really wouldn't recommend omitting information from your UCAS form, if you get a grade you should put it down, your sister was lucky!

OP you should be fine with those grades to be honest if you're not aiming for the top universities, most middle-of-the-road places will let you in if you get the right amount of UCAS points/grades from your A-levels.

She might have put it on, I just got told that she didn't put it on something. Might not have been UCAS.
Original post by dorame
She might have put it on, I just got told that she didn't put it on something. Might not have been UCAS.

Maybe her CV then. I was just saying it isn't a good idea on UCAS because if they find out they can withdraw your application and things like that just in case people were considering not putting down a grade they didn't like!

A grade is better than no grade :smile:
Reply 15
Maybe her CV then. I was just saying it isn't a good idea on UCAS because if they find out they can withdraw your application and things like that just in case people were considering not putting down a grade they didn't like!

A grade is better than no grade :smile:

If you put on a D though, aren't they like "uh why did you fail?"
Original post by dorame
If you put on a D though, aren't they like "uh why did you fail?"

An E or higher is a pass, only a U is a fail, which you don't need to declare on your UCAS form. D grades at AS will still give you 30 UCAS points which could make the difference between acceptance or rejection.

A lot of the time as long as you do well in 3 of your AS-levels you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into the uni of your choice (except places like Oxford or Cambridge where you need straight A's).

Lots of my friends got things like AABD in their AS-levels and got offers from Sheffield, Manchester and other Russell group unis so doing 'badly' in one subject doesn't really harm you too much if your statement and reference are good :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by <<*$.y.m.a*>>
D is not a fail though, although D does lower your ucas points i think it is better to put it down incase they find out.:smile:

I know it technically isn't, and while it gives 30 UCAS points, no where accepts it

An E or higher is a pass, only a U is a fail, which you don't need to declare on your UCAS form. D grades at AS will still give you 30 UCAS points which could make the difference between acceptance or rejection.

A lot of the time as long as you do well in 3 of your AS-levels you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into the uni of your choice (except places like Oxford or Cambridge where you need straight A's).

Lots of my friends got things like AABD in their AS-levels and got offers from Sheffield, Manchester and other Russell group unis so doing 'badly' in one subject doesn't really harm you too much if your statement and reference are good :smile:

Ah you are correct :smile: thanks for the info.
Original post by GirlyGirl
You have really ruined my confidence. I was planning on taking chem for AS in September. Is it a really big step up from gcse? What did you get in gcse chem if you dont mind me asking? Just want to see if I have any chances of passing :/

I'll be honest, a lot of people struggle with it significantly. In january, only 4 people in my class of almost 20 got above a D. That was me and my friend who both got decent (86/87%) As (after getting 100% in GCSE). A friend who got a B who got A* at GCSE, and a girl who got a C after getting A at GCSE. Everyone else either got Bs or As (with a couple of people with A*s) at GCSE and got Ds, Es and Us.
Reply 19
Original post by hassi94
I'll be honest, a lot of people struggle with it significantly. In january, only 4 people in my class of almost 20 got above a D. That was me and my friend who both got decent (86/87%) As (after getting 100% in GCSE). A friend who got a B who got A* at GCSE, and a girl who got a C after getting A at GCSE. Everyone else either got Bs or As (with a couple of people with A*s) at GCSE and got Ds, Es and Us.

Original post by hassi94

Like, ohmyknickers. Did you have to do a lot of self study? Was the work load for chem too much? I think I've scraped an A at gcse but I really think I won't be able to handle it. Being honest here, im only taking it to get into a better uny, but doubt they'd accept with an E grade :/ was thinking of dropping it for AS, but am fretting about whether to drop maths. I've heard so many bad views on both subjects but I really don't know what else I can take!

On a lighter note, thanks for letting me know, most appreciated :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest