The Student Room Group

How are you meant to know Ag(silver) is mettallic bonding

and how do u know how many electrons on the outter shell of it ??

all elements under period 3 i seem to get confused with...
PLEASE HELP EXAM TOMMOROW TAHNKSSS
Well, call me stupid but maybe because silver is a metal?

And unless they tell you the number of electrons in the outer shell, take it as 2.
Reply 2
Original post by NaturalDisaster
Well, call me stupid but maybe because silver is a metal?

And unless they tell you the number of electrons in the outer shell, take it as 2.

there was a question to do with silver and the ionic bond AgF was formed and silver only had one electron on the outer shell and became Ag+(when it gave that electron to F) and F became F- ... thats why im confused... you just said two
are u stupid
Reply 4
It's a metal and so has metallic bonding.

This should help:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/bonding/metallic.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jak67m
there was a question to do with silver and the ionic bond AgF was formed and silver only had one electron on the outer shell and became Ag+(when it gave that electron to F) and F became F- ... thats why im confused... you just said two

Yes, only if they don't tell you otherwise, or imply otherwise. You can get Ag(I), Ag(II), Ag(III)...the roman numerals tell you the valency, but if they don't tell you just assume it's two.
Reply 6
Original post by jak67m

Original post by jak67m
and how do u know how many electrons on the outter shell of it ??

all elements under period 3 i seem to get confused with...
PLEASE HELP EXAM TOMMOROW TAHNKSSS

You do have to know that silver has metallic bonding. You won't have to know how many electrons silver has in its outer shell.

If you have learnt about sub-shells and orbitals you should be able to work out how many electrons there are in the sub shell that is most weakly attracted.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
When Ag reacts with anything else it forms ionic bonds.
But with itself Ag has metallic bonding..

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by kaylafrances
are u stupid

yeppp :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by kaylafrances
are u stupid

Are you a fat slut? Yes.
Well, actually, Silver happens to be a metal, so the logical conclusion is to assume that like most metals, it uses Metallic bonding.

And I knew the valency from a long time ago, I was made to learn it in year 9, and surprisingly, I remember it.
Original post by Arcanine
Are you a fat slut? Yes.

lol f*ck off how unnecessary

Quick Reply

Latest