The Student Room Group

Woodhouse College Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by N_young
Good :smile: thanks... nice girls around:wink: ???

Oh yeah.
This year's lower sixth especially haha. Although, people do seem to think that the other year has better looking students.

I just realised, if you're going to Woodhouse this year, then you may have seen me speaking at the Open Day in Autumn?
Reply 21
Original post by N_young
So what is the proportions? is it mostly white? or is it mostly asian? (please dont take this as a racist comment, just trying to see what the community is like)

It's England, so majority white in some way. But there are large numbers of ethnic minorities, the biggest being the ones I named before. The figures are in the public domain so I'll see if I can find it on the website.
Reply 22
Original post by KwamiOdoom
It's England, so majority white in some way. But there are large numbers of ethnic minorities, the biggest being the ones I named before. The figures are in the public domain so I'll see if I can find it on the website.

Thanks appreciate it :smile:

Oh yeah.
This year's lower sixth especially haha. Although, people do seem to think that the other year has better looking students.

I just realised, if you're going to Woodhouse this year, then you may have seen me speaking at the Open Day in Autumn?

Hahah good... need some more girls in my life :wink: n well nice one if you spoke.. fortunateness tho, I kinda didnt go into the hall for the long speeches... i was a bit more active and ran around checking out the college... (ima so get lost when i go there) loool

Thanks for all the info
Reply 23
Original post by N_young
Good :smile: thanks... nice girls around:wink: ???

With 1200 people I'm sure you'll find some lol.
Reply 24
Original post by tooosh
With 1200 people I'm sure you'll find some lol.

Well i got to a secondary school atm... year 11 are aprox 300 students... out of those 300 there is erm well 1 nice girl? so i hope the ratio of ugly to sexy n clever isnt like that lol!
Original post by rae_
Oh okay thanks

That makes me feel better. What were your GCSEs like and your A Level choices if you don't mind me asking.

Also, some people tell me that Woodhouse seems to be more segrated than the apathied. Is that true?

I know its a silly question but there are so many rumours about the college...

Oh I was on the waiting list as I lived 90 mins away. Got in about 3 days later though.
Reply 26
Hairy Danny.
Surname begins with a C. He did Psychology I think cos he always asks me to say hi to Binnaz.
Reply 27
Original post by ??????????????????
Oh I was on the waiting list as I lived 90 mins away. Got in about 3 days later though.

Three days later? Do you mean after results day or after they waiting list letter?

I know I got about 10As, a B and an A*. And one full BTEC and half BTEC added which counts for nothing. I'm taking Spanish, Philosophy and Maths at A2.

There are friendship groups definitely. And you'll find that there's a massive group of Greeks, black people and South-asians but to say segregated suggests that the groups never talk to each other. People all have different classes from their normal friends and so form friends in lessons as well. I have my main friends, but then have friends all over the college as well. And through those friends you meet their friends. So it's not segregated, but with 1200 students, you'd be naive to think you'll be besties with everyone.

Oh. How's Maths :biggrin:? Oh and since your did a BTEC, are OCR Nationals a worthless qualification then?

You have forms in 6th form? How do they assign students to these forms? Do they set them based on options?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rae_
Three days later? Do you mean after results day or after they waiting list letter?

Oh. How's Maths :biggrin:? Oh and since your did a BTEC, are OCR Nationals a worthless qualification then?

You have forms in 6th form? How do they assign students to these forms? Do they set them based on options?

After the letter.
Reply 29
Oh thanks.
Reply 30
Original post by rae_

Umm, I can't remember exactly but I think it does count.

Yeah haha. There are 26 in both years. They use form time (15 minutes at 10 for lower or 10.15 for upper) to give out information like if there are changed timetables due to interview days etc. Then every Monday, there's an hour where there's a tutorial on uni applications or whatever's relevant. It's at 12 for Lower Sixth and at 1 for Upper Sixth.

They just assign them randomly I think. It's not like they try to place you with friends or anything like that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Hey guys i have another question :smile: (yes me again) lol

Wanted to know how it is with sports at Woodhouse? i think if i remember correctly its like very Wed. its a special day where you do sport or something? and also what sports are available... im sure there is the usual footie and badminton and things like that but any Martial Arts? Kickboxing? etc? and is there Hockey?

Thanks for reply :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by N_young
Hey guys i have another question :smile: (yes me again) lol

Wanted to know how it is with sports at Woodhouse? i think if i remember correctly its like very Wed. its a special day where you do sport or something? and also what sports are available... im sure there is the usual footie and badminton and things like that but any Martial Arts? Kickboxing? etc? and is there Hockey?

Thanks for reply :smile:

Yeah, sports is a big part of the Woodhouse community. We have a good football team, for which I played in goal that won the Barnet Cup both this year and last. And was cheated out of both the League and the Middlesex Cup this year. There's also a big basketball team, who I hear are very good.

What you're talking about is enrichment which take place every Wednesday after school. Wednesday has an especially shortened timetable and finishes at 1.30. There are activities other than sports such as Business, Amnesty Internation and Duke of Edinburgh, but sports-wise there's a kickboxing club, trampolining, table-tennis. What's best I think is that if there isn't a club that you'd like to do and you can find enough people who want to do it, the sports department who run enrichment are very happy to try and get something set up.

I'm not too sure about hockey, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was.
Reply 33
Yeah, sports is a big part of the Woodhouse community. We have a good football team, for which I played in goal that won the Barnet Cup both this year and last. And was cheated out of both the League and the Middlesex Cup this year. There's also a big basketball team, who I hear are very good.

What you're talking about is enrichment which take place every Wednesday after school. Wednesday has an especially shortened timetable and finishes at 1.30. There are activities other than sports such as Business, Amnesty Internation and Duke of Edinburgh, but sports-wise there's a kickboxing club, trampolining, table-tennis. What's best I think is that if there isn't a club that you'd like to do and you can find enough people who want to do it, the sports department who run enrichment are very happy to try and get something set up.

I'm not too sure about hockey, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was.

Kick-boxing club? you serious?? that would be haven... been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a year and i want to carry on but if there is kick-boxing aswel that would be just YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY (cba to go advanced to find happy smileys)

Any other martial arts??

Yh footie... thats how it works... ppl sometimes just kick you out...

Do you know what belt teaches kick boxing?
Reply 34
Original post by N_young
Kick-boxing club? you serious?? that would be haven... been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a year and i want to carry on but if there is kick-boxing aswel that would be just YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY (cba to go advanced to find happy smileys)

Any other martial arts??

Yh footie... thats how it works... ppl sometimes just kick you out...

Do you know what belt teaches kick boxing?

I don't think there are others, but like I said, if you can find enough people who want to do it, Chris Mann will try her best to get something going.

No clue. He is, however, absolutely huge. Like, he's muscly, but with his sheer size, it's completely unnecessary. He looks pretty good to me, I have some experience in martial arts, but enough to judge that well.

Oh no the football was a disgrace. The way it works in the League is the top 4 teams go into semi-finals and then the winners play in the finals. We were tying with a team to take the fourth spot and out last match was against them. They cancelled on us twice but the league for some unknown reason decided to do it by coin toss instead and so we lost out. So outrageous.
Reply 35
I don't think there are others, but like I said, if you can find enough people who want to do it, Chris Mann will try her best to get something going.

No clue. He is, however, absolutely huge. Like, he's muscly, but with his sheer size, it's completely unnecessary. He looks pretty good to me, I have some experience in martial arts, but enough to judge that well.

Oh no the football was a disgrace. The way it works in the League is the top 4 teams go into semi-finals and then the winners play in the finals. We were tying with a team to take the fourth spot and out last match was against them. They cancelled on us twice but the league for some unknown reason decided to do it by coin toss instead and so we lost out. So outrageous.

Coin toss :redface: omg! suckers....

Thanks for the info, ima see how the kickboxing goes... BJJ is a great martial too, but its mainly on the floor, i need to work on my kicks and punches, and kick boxing seems as good a place as any to start :smile:

Thanks you
Reply 36
Original post by N_young
Coin toss :redface: omg! suckers....

Thanks for the info, ima see how the kickboxing goes... BJJ is a great martial too, but its mainly on the floor, i need to work on my kicks and punches, and kick boxing seems as good a place as any to start :smile:

Thanks you

Dont get your hopes up for kickboxing, considering you have done BJJ you will find the class boring. I used to do muay thai and judo for a year aswell so was interested in the kickboxing enrichment, but its more of a fun mess bout for an hour or so than a concrete lesson you would expect in a club.
Reply 37
Original post by Polioz
Dont get your hopes up for kickboxing, considering you have done BJJ you will find the class boring. I used to do muay thai and judo for a year aswell so was interested in the kickboxing enrichment, but its more of a fun mess bout for an hour or so than a concrete lesson you would expect in a club.

:frown: that bad? are there like punching bags and equipment atleast?
Reply 38
Original post by N_young
:frown: that bad? are there like punching bags and equipment atleast?

lool basically, they do it in the sports hall, half was kickboxing , half was table tennis, and it was great for the ones playing table tennis because of the kickboxing class was 60% girls running around in short shorts and stretching for like 30 minss... then all they did was grab a partner and do few random kicks or punches on the hand bags or what ever they are called. If your just looking for a chilled laugh nd maybe learn abit go there. But seeing as you have done bjj etc, I think you would get bored.

My advice is pick an enrichment that sounds interesting but you wouldnt really consider outside school, you might find something you like, most enrichments are free or really cheap anyways so make use of it.
Original post by Polioz
lool basically, they do it in the sports hall, half was kickboxing , half was table tennis, and it was great for the ones playing table tennis because of the kickboxing class was 60% girls running around in short shorts and stretching for like 30 minss... then all they did was grab a partner and do few random kicks or punches on the hand bags or what ever they are called. If your just looking for a chilled laugh nd maybe learn abit go there. But seeing as you have done bjj etc, I think you would get bored.

My advice is pick an enrichment that sounds interesting but you wouldnt really consider outside school, you might find something you like, most enrichments are free or really cheap anyways so make use of it.

I changed from table tennis to dodge ball last minute D:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending