The Student Room Group

Woodhouse College Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Polioz
lool basically, they do it in the sports hall, half was kickboxing , half was table tennis, and it was great for the ones playing table tennis because of the kickboxing class was 60% girls running around in short shorts and stretching for like 30 minss... then all they did was grab a partner and do few random kicks or punches on the hand bags or what ever they are called. If your just looking for a chilled laugh nd maybe learn abit go there. But seeing as you have done bjj etc, I think you would get bored.

My advice is pick an enrichment that sounds interesting but you wouldnt really consider outside school, you might find something you like, most enrichments are free or really cheap anyways so make use of it.

hahaha lol, girls in shorts might go for it... i would wanna see the instructor tho, maybe have a 1v1 with him or smthing? When i go woodhouse i will probably give it a try see how it goes, worst case scenario I can always swap and do something else right?

Thanks for advice tho
Reply 41
Original post by ??????????????????
I changed from table tennis to dodge ball last minute D:

dodgeball was sik, i went to session every so often because it was on for longer than table tennis :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by N_young
hahaha lol, girls in shorts might go for it... i would wanna see the instructor tho, maybe have a 1v1 with him or smthing? When i go woodhouse i will probably give it a try see how it goes, worst case scenario I can always swap and do something else right?

Thanks for advice tho

No worries, im not sure if you can change enrichments actually hah , but random people still did go in and out of the enrichments, some activities are over subscribed.. like dodgeball, but it should be alright.
Original post by Polioz
dodgeball was sik, i went to session every so often because it was on for longer than table tennis :tongue:

Yup. One session he made everyone try and dodge from one person and if you went out then you had to throw it at the rest. I just stood still by the fire exit and won lol.
One of the other times in a match was last one left and the guy chucked it but was going too high (basketball height) and caught it so we won lol. Yay for reflexes.
Original post by Sokka
what subjects did you pick?

Maths, chemistry, biology and economics.
Original post by Sokka
cool, are you in your first year? And also, why are there so many people predicted a*'s and don't get in to woodhouse? I saw a few here...
thanks!

Yup first year.

If they were rejected before interviews probably because they don't do enough extracurricular wise? Have to be all round. After interview would mean not a good interview.
Original post by Sokka
but some people in my year got interviews and they were bunking lessons and barely had any qualifications/predicted grades above a D :confused:

Do you go to Compton or Frien Barnet or some other connected school? If so that's why. They accept lower grades from those schools. If not then I'm not sure.
Reply 47
Woodhouse has the absolute complete range of academic ability. There are people who will end up getting all A*s and people who will get all Us. Whilst that's probably not intentional they might be going for some sort of varied student body as well which means rejecting candidates who are well rounded, clever etc.
Reply 48
Original post by tooosh
Woodhouse has the absolute complete range of academic ability. There are people who will end up getting all A*s and people who will get all Us. Whilst that's probably not intentional they might be going for some sort of varied student body as well which means rejecting candidates who are well rounded, clever etc.

I don't think there's anyone who got something like all Us, if so then only one. Especially seeing as that's an admirable feat for any student, let alone one at Woodhouse. The majority of students do really well.

Original post by Sokka
nope, I don't go to those schools - they didn't get offers or anything, I'm just unsure why they got interviews in the first place seeing as you said only all-rounded students get offers. They definitely aren't all-rounded :tongue:

If they were predicted A*s then that would have got them into the interview, but if they had nothing else going for them then that may have tripped them up in the interview/after the initial application stage.
Reply 49
Dudes there is a BJJ club in Bounds Green, which is not too far from you guys in Finchley (the 221 will take you straight there). email me for more info.
Reply 50
Hey, I'm going to Woodhouse next year aswell!

I was wondering about enrichments and free periods, are enrichments compulsory, and do they take up your free periods? Are everybody's free periods at the same time or all different?
Also if, say I had a double free period after lunch and no more lessons could I go home?

Thanks, can't wait to go sounds great!
Reply 51
Original post by jonnyb123
Hey, I'm going to Woodhouse next year aswell!

I was wondering about enrichments and free periods, are enrichments compulsory, and do they take up your free periods? Are everybody's free periods at the same time or all different?
Also if, say I had a double free period after lunch and no more lessons could I go home?

Thanks, can't wait to go sounds great!

It really is, you'll have an amazing time!

Enrichment is compulsory for the lower sixth. All lessons are ended by 1.30 on Wednesday in order to make time for enrichment, so nearly all enrichment sessions will be at around two every Wednesday. There are some enrichments which are scheduled at different times and so can take up free periods/free time/lunches etc. for example, football training was after college every Monday.

Woodhouse's timetable works on a block system. There are 5 lesson blocks during the day named A-E. Those blocks aren't all the same time every day, nor are they in that order but you each subject you take will be assigned, if you will, a block. Not that everyone taking one subject have the class at the same time, there'll be a Block B Philosophy class and a Block C Philosophy class. As there are 5 blocks and you'll most likely be taking 4 subjects, you'll have one block free, the time of which will change every day. If it so happens that your free period is the last of the day, then you get to go home early and everyone has a late start, a free period in the morning. However, if you have free periods in the morning of one day, you'll still have to be in for tutor at 10.

I don't know how well that explains it. I'll try and get a copy of my timetable up, see if that makes it clearer.
Reply 52
Okay thanks that clears it up a bit better for me.
so you get a free period a day, is this not including the enrichment, i.e, would i get a free period on wednesday aswell as do enrichment?

So happy about that by the way, so many schools make you come in at the start of the day even if you don't have any lessons!
Okay thanks that clears it up a bit better for me.
so you get a free period a day, is this not including the enrichment, i.e, would i get a free period on wednesday aswell as do enrichment?

So happy about that by the way, so many schools make you come in at the start of the day even if you don't have any lessons!

You won't get one EVERYDAY. I think you get it 4 days a week. There are 5 blocks. Monday has 4 blocks and an hour registration which doesn't take that long so you get 30 mins free there. Tuesday has 4 blocks. Wednesday has three block which is the only day I don't have a free but go home at 1:30 so it's fine. Thursday has 5 blocks and Friday has 4 blocks. Means you will get 4 a week normally. Might get more if lessons are cancelled as they don't use supplies much as you should do independent working. Some people might get two free periods a day on some days due to their subjects. Eg Art needs more time so they will have a double art lesson instead of a free one day and then two frees to compensate.
Reply 54
Oh right i thought you meant there were 5 blocks everyday, therefore doing only 4 subjects, i would have a total of 5 frees. So you can have a free on a wednesday as well as having enrichment? How come you go home at 1.30 are you allowed to miss the enrichment, i asked and its apparently not compulsory in upper 6th, but is in lower?
Reply 55
also, another question haha, how long are the lessons, or "blocks"? because 4 frees a week doesn't sound like much, my friends in sixth form get 6 a week, each 45 minute periods. I am assuming the periods at Woodhouse are longer than this?

Sorry about all the questions it wont affect my decision to go there im just interested!
Reply 56
Some periods are an hour, some are an hour and a half. Blocks are independent of periods, on one day a block might be an hour and on another day the same block might be an hour and a half.
Oh right i thought you meant there were 5 blocks everyday, therefore doing only 4 subjects, i would have a total of 5 frees. So you can have a free on a wednesday as well as having enrichment? How come you go home at 1.30 are you allowed to miss the enrichment, i asked and its apparently not compulsory in upper 6th, but is in lower?

You don't always do enrichment as it isn't all year round. Though the sports hall is open when there isn't a PE class if you still want to play sports. Some enrichment are on Wednesday so you can go home.
also, another question haha, how long are the lessons, or "blocks"? because 4 frees a week doesn't sound like much, my friends in sixth form get 6 a week, each 45 minute periods. I am assuming the periods at Woodhouse are longer than this?

Sorry about all the questions it wont affect my decision to go there im just interested!

You get either an hour or 90 mins. Better to have that then 6 45 I think as it may be less but you got longer ones so no interruptions.
Reply 58
Oh okay i understand now, sounds good, i would prefer longer ones yeah, thanks for clearing that up for me!

Also my friends who know people that go there told me there was a smoking area there, were they having me on ha? I don't smoke but occasionally socially i do, the idea of doing it a school is scary to me haha but i suppose i am allowed legally because i will be 16.

Also another question about enrichments, apart from football I'm not that sporty, I would like to play football in the enrichments but I am not sure whether I will have the time to be committed to a school team or anything, because from what I've heard, I will be doing a lot of work! (Doing triple science and French AS!) So can I just play football casually, or is there anything else not to do with sports that is interesting there?
Oh okay i understand now, sounds good, i would prefer longer ones yeah, thanks for clearing that up for me!

Also my friends who know people that go there told me there was a smoking area there, were they having me on ha? I don't smoke but occasionally socially i do, the idea of doing it a school is scary to me haha but i suppose i am allowed legally because i will be 16.

Also another question about enrichments, apart from football I'm not that sporty, I would like to play football in the enrichments but I am not sure whether I will have the time to be committed to a school team or anything, because from what I've heard, I will be doing a lot of work! (Doing triple science and French AS!) So can I just play football casually, or is there anything else not to do with sports that is interesting there?

Yeah there is a smoking area. It's just a little worn down shack.
You can play casually, just not in the sports hall :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest