The Student Room Group

Woodhouse College Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ??????????????????
I changed business to economics on enrollment day so I guess it's fine.

Thanks. Oh and how does enrollment day work?
Original post by rae_
Thanks. Oh and how does enrollment day work?

Depends on your results. If you meet the requirements then you can go and get your place/change subjects. If you don't meet your subject requirements but get the score ok then you will have to change subjects most likely. If you don't get the mean score then you probably won't get in.
Reply 82
okay so summing up: French-Very Good
Biology-Not so good
Chemistry-Very good
Physics-Quite good but not great

cheers, i might actually see if i can change french on enrollment day now actually....I thought the subjects were set in stone....either way i will drop it at AS level.
Reply 83
Depends on your results. If you meet the requirements then you can go and get your place/change subjects. If you don't meet your subject requirements but get the score ok then you will have to change subjects most likely. If you don't get the mean score then you probably won't get in.

Thanks.

I've met one of the chemistry teachers: Mr Clinton. Is he any good?
Original post by rae_
Thanks.

I've met one of the chemistry teachers: Mr Clinton. Is he any good?

Never heard of him D:
Another question; is Mr Redmond a good economics teacher?
Original post by Mendeleev's Table

I shall just say, he is eccentric.
I shall just say, he is eccentric.

In a good or bad way...? :K:
In a good or bad way...? :K:

Depends if you like crazy men.
Depends if you like crazy men.

Haha, I've had a few 'odd' teachers. What does he do that makes him crazy?
Haha, I've had a few 'odd' teachers. What does he do that makes him crazy?

You might not even have him. If you do don't wanna spoil it for you :biggrin:
You might not even have him. If you do don't wanna spoil it for you :biggrin:

Okie doke. Thanks for the heads up, I guess.:five:

Oh I had him- he's quite nice, and an ok teacher, though sometimes seemed quite dazed!
I got into WH :biggrin:

What are the teachers like? I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Statistics and English Lit. Oh,and is it possible that I take an extra subject?

My interviewer was a Chemistry teacher Mr Clinton, anyone heard of him? What's he like?
Reply 94
Original post by nerdfighter28

What are the teachers like? I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Statistics and English Lit. Oh,and is it possible that I take an extra subject?

My interviewer was a Chemistry teacher Mr Clinton, anyone heard of him? What's he like?

Statistics?
Do you mean Maths with Statistics?
Original post by nerdfighter28

Bio goodish. Not too good.
Chemistry good
Maths with stats good
Not sure on lit.
if your gonna do maths at woodhouse, don't, because they teach MEI which is the hardest maths exam board, an A in edexcel maths is considered the same as an A in MEI maths, so you guys do the deciding. I don't go woodhouse, loads of my mates do now. Other than making more friends, i don't see the point in going there, unless your sixth form is totally rubbish. the levels of teaching is thought to be roughly the same across sixth forms anyway.
Original post by James A
if your gonna do maths at woodhouse, don't, because they teach MEI which is the hardest maths exam board, an A in edexcel maths is considered the same as an A in MEI maths, so you guys do the deciding. I don't go woodhouse, loads of my mates do now. Other than making more friends, i don't see the point in going there, unless your sixth form is totally rubbish. the levels of teaching is thought to be roughly the same across sixth forms anyway.

Their site says that they do OCR for all maths syllabuses...

EDIT: Silly me; didn't know MEI WAS OCR. I still don't see how that should allow you to say nobody should do maths there, just because the exam board is hard.
Some people may not even find it hard. Personal preference plays a more major role.
(edited 12 years ago)
Their site says that they do OCR for all maths syllabuses...

EDIT: Silly me; didn't know MEI WAS OCR. I still don't see how that should allow you to say nobody should do maths there, just because the exam board is hard.
Some people may not even find it hard. Personal preference plays a more major role.

im just implying that it is hard there, and ofcourse personal interest is at heart, say for instance they wanna do maths at uni, then it's a good thing. but if your doing maths at a level ( MEI ) then intend to be a doctor, maths doesn't play that much of a role. sorry if you misunderstood my first point.
Reply 99
My days, this MEI issue is blown all out of proportion. It doesn't matter which board is harder as UMS is scaled for each exam paper. The same scaling doesn't go across different boards. If one MEI paper is harder than one Edexcel paper, as long as it reflects in the results, you can bet your ass the grade boundaries will be lower for the MEI paper. MEI is more annoying than others rather than harder, for example they'll ask you the long term (let's say) population of an e^-x +3 graph whereas Edexcel will just say it straight - ie what is y as x tends towards infinity. For normal maths at least (C1-4, all 1-2 of applied modules) it's hardly a make or break issue...
If you do bad in MEI it doesn't mean anything will be different for Edexcel!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending